Nashville

Discuss anything urban that's pertinent to our understanding of the USA.
^ oops.. I forgot what I was going to say about race.
^ just kidding... actually I find it interesting that Saint Louis is one of the whitest (non-Hispanic white) Metros in the United States.... more white than Nashville! And when it comes to black population, Nashville-Davidson has just a slightly less percentage than Saint Louis City + County. Nashville: less white and almost as black as Saint Louis!
DogtownBnR wrote:
I don't think it's a coincidence, that Nashville and Austin, 2 of the most booming cities right now, have booming music scenes. A strong music scene attracts young people and creates a cool factor that makes marketing a city very easy. It doesn't hurt that tons of celebrities in the industry call Nashville home. I felt like STL had a cool factor of sorts, when our music scene was voted one of the best in the nation 20 years ago, by Rolling Stone. Back then The Urge, Gravity Kills, Stir, Sunvolt and others, could be seen playing at clubs like the Galaxy, Mississippi Nights and others, nightly. Hopefully, the addition of the Blues Museum helps our music scene. I'd also like to see some more music clubs open. Clubs that stand the test of time. The long proposed Chouteau's Landing, would be the perfect gritty place, to rehab and open clubs. A place that resembles Wash. Ave in it's infancy, would be cool.

I'd also say that Detroit has also benefited in recent years by touting its music/arts scene but with a grittier, more Berlin/old school Brooklyn edge. If we had the right attitude and outlook, something like the Near North Riverfront could explode with creativity.... I could see it as bare-bones artists lofts and galleries, music clubs, Artica, etc. etc.

For a more traditional music scene, I could see the area south of Busch as a good target area for live music central. Lots of potential, I think.
Yeah I lived part time in Nashville for a few months in late 2012 and early 2013.
I don't get where people assume it's as white as Portland or Austin.
There's a lot I like about Nashville and if the job situation had changed I would have relocated there.
But it just has a smaller feel to it. You leave downtown and a few close in neighborhoods and it empties out fairly quick.

The NYT article showcases The Gulch--which is cool, but sort of soulless. Honestly I'll take the growth in a place like the Central West End where we have an established nabe with a lot of new high rise and retail activity going in over the Gulch.
The Mayor of Nashville spoke to President-Elect Trump today to discuss Transportation. I wonder if that means that Francis Slay will get a phone call soon to discuss general topics in STL. Also, I am jealous of Nashvilles development. When will we ever see something as big at River North? Image
to be honest chriss, we've had some major plans come and go. I too envy how forward minded some of Nashvilles proposals are, but I think the market will need some time to absorb the existing proposals and developments before they can consider developing something of that ^ scale. In all honesty I will be surprised if even some of that River North proposal gets built. Not to be a downer, it is truly incredible whats happening in Nashville, but it feels slightly reminiscent of STL before the housing market crashed (Skyhouse on Wash Ave, Bottle District, CWE highrise proposals, and so on).
^Yup. Think back to those dramatic renderings of The Bottle District; nothing got built. The same thing could happen in Nashville, especially with all the construction they've had the last few years.
Yes I realize that. Maybe one day we will return to propose and build like Nashville.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
while downtown' residential growth is exciting and obviously leans to new construction, the current population doesn't seem to be that much higher than ours...

Survey: Downtown Nashville's population is booming — and making more money
http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/ne ... oming.html

The partnership projects 9,619 people will be living downtown by the end of this year. (2016)

and it looks like they do not have a movie theater or full grocery quite yet, two wants residents id'd in this article. They have a lot under construction but if some of our key projects indeed move forward I wouldn't say we're exactly being left behind. We'll have to see. Anyway, rust belt downtown rebounds beat the excitement of the Nashvilles and Austins of the world any day in my book.
This reminds me how fast we are coming up on 200 years since we were passed by Chicago. We've been getting left behind ever since. How are we ever gonna catch New York when we keep getting passed by the Atlantas, Denvers, and soon enough, Nashville? Im 42, so I can easily remember St. Louis being bigger than Atlanta, but at this point, it would be shocking to see any old school Rust Belt city regain much ground in the population rankings in my lifetime. No worries; they are all still great cities, but its just not the same as being part of something fast growing. Beats a Detroit style decay though. And downtown rebounds are sweet, but at comparatively glacial rates it can be a bit dissatisfying. Chicago has always had a great downtown. But they've been the second city in name only for all of my life, and what used to be a solid 3rd appears to be in jeopardy in the coming decades.

Just imagine living in St Louis before the 60s, or better yet, the 1860s. We were the bee's knees then. Sure, the world was a much different place then, but to be a part of that type of fast growth vibe is a longing that nearly certainly, will never be satiated for us modern Saint Louisans.
KerrytheKonstructor wrote:This reminds me how fast we are coming up on 200 years since we were passed by Chicago. We've been getting left behind ever since. How are we ever gonna catch New York when we keep getting passed by the Atlantas, Denvers, and soon enough, Nashville? Im 42, so I can easily remember St. Louis being bigger than Atlanta, but at this point, it would be shocking to see any old school Rust Belt city regain much ground in the population rankings in my lifetime. No worries; they are all still great cities, but its just not the same as being part of something fast growing. Beats a Detroit style decay though. And downtown rebounds are sweet, but at comparatively glacial rates it can be a bit dissatisfying. Chicago has always had a great downtown. But they've been the second city in name only for all of my life, and what used to be a solid 3rd appears to be in jeopardy in the coming decades.

Just imagine living in St Louis before the 60s, or better yet, the 1860s. We were the bee's knees then. Sure, the world was a much different place then, but to be a part of that type of fast growth vibe is a longing that nearly certainly, will never be satiated for us modern Saint Louisans.
St Louis shouldn't try to be a Denver or a Nashville. It should continue to be St Louis. Also, Nashville is a bubble that will burst. The Nashville Metro is much smaller than ours, and I believe it would only pass us this century if St Louis began to lose population.

A cool proposal for Nashville was revealed by the Nashville BJ that states that Disney plans to build a 40 Floor Hard Rock Hotel in the SoBro Neighborhood. With this project comes some "Mall like shopping center", and a Disney themed indoor theme park deal. To me, this is starting to sound like a modern version of Walt Disneys Riverfront Square that never got underway in St. Louis.

A actual announcement by Disney and The Hard Rock Company has not been made yet with the exception of Disney looking for a investor to catch on with the idea. Below is an concept rendering. More images are on the Nashville BJ website but only for subscribers. Image
Good lord let's hope they nix that guitar. Even Vegas wouldn't build something that tacky.
That building is repulsive. The Nashville boom is exciting and cool, but I am fearful it's creating a bubble

framer wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:34 pm
Good lord let's hope they nix that guitar. Even Vegas wouldn't build something that tacky.
It is Tacky by all means. It is probably just a preliminary plan to attract a investor of what they could do.
Wish St. Louis had a shot at that. Disney is something people travel all over the world for. I don't even mind the guitar though St. Louis should go for something different. Imagine if they had scored that for Union Station...
Drury Hotel that is going up in Nashville. 21 stories.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/r ... 100095882/

"Currently, 32 hotel projects with 4,844 rooms are under construction around Nashville with another 32 projects with 3,644 rooms in final planning that could start within four months and 45 more projects with 5,355 rooms in even earlier planning stages, according to STR."

That seems like a lot of hotels. Hoping someone on here might have a better idea though.
jshank83 wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:57 pm

"Currently, 32 hotel projects with 4,844 rooms are under construction around Nashville with another 32 projects with 3,644 rooms in final planning that could start within four months and 45 more projects with 5,355 rooms in even earlier planning stages, according to STR."

That seems like a lot of hotels. Hoping someone on here might have a better idea though.
It's a massive amount of hotels. Several business columnists in Nashville have expressed great concern that the city is rapidly overbuilding. The city is becoming unaffordable at an alarming rate. As much as I would love to see St Louis boom, I don't ever want to see it boom like Nashville.
Chalupas54 wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:02 pm
jshank83 wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:57 pm

It's a massive amount of hotels. Several business columnists in Nashville have expressed great concern that the city is rapidly overbuilding. The city is becoming unaffordable at an alarming rate. As much as I would love to see St Louis boom, I don't ever want to see it boom like Nashville.
My fiancé live in Nashville for 18 months, she moved back last May. I was down there at least two weekends a month while she was there. It was crazy the amount of construction going on. I know Nashville is growing but it still seemed like a lot of construction really fast.
Nashville is known for its country music. Even though Cleveland grabbed the Rock and Roll HOF, I don't why St Louis couldn't claim the title of "Rock City."

With the passing of Chuck Berry, the region has received new recognition as the home of "the father of rock and roll". I heard Joe Edwards talking about people who planned long trips to St Louis to go to the monthly Chuck Berry performances in the Duck Room. Chuck's HOF bio essentially says Rock and Roll was invented by Chuck and Johnny Johnson as the Cosmo Club in East St Louis, when Chuck melded country "hillbilly" music with the blues, and created his iconic guitar riffs.

https://www.rockhall.com/inductees/chuck-berry

I could see a bus tour stopping at the Cosmo Club site, Chucks home in the City, the Blues Museum, and Blueberry Hill and the Chuck statue. It may get old for us, but imagine a place that invited bands to play Chuck's hits every single weekend. (Duck Room?). So folks could reliably do a trip here and be guaranteed to get the whole experience including hearing (dancing?) to Chucks hits. And kids could learn a riff and try to duck walk.

See Rock City.
That's not a bad idea, really. My one worry is that it might work to make local music more stale by encouraging bands to stick to that early Rockabilly sound in much the same way that jazz in the tourist quarter of New Orleans is indelibly stuck in the early Dixieland style. (Plenty of good music elsewhere, it seems. You just need to get away from the tourists.) So you could end up with a sort of tourist "Chuck" quarter in U. City and all the good local bands hidden somewhere else. (That may happen anyway, really. But at least it won't be as loud.)
Nashville has another thing coming to their City. It will replace the old Convention Center and will be named Fifth + Broadway. It will include a residential building and office building among other things and is being dubbed largest Nashville Development ever. Here are some renderings of it along with 2 websites, the first is the site for the full development

https://www.fifthandb.com

And second is the website for the office tower.

https://www.501commerce.com

ImageImage
What a cool development. I still fear that Nashville is overbuilding.

Chalupas54 wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:45 am
What a cool development. I still fear that Nashville is overbuilding.

If they overbuild, it will be surprising since demand seems high down there. But if they do overbuild, I suppose it will cause issues for cities in the vicinity of Nashville.
My god St. Louis could use a couple of decades of Nashville level growth