CityArchRiver

The design competition and remake of the Jefferson National Expansion Memorial, AKA the Arch grounds.
First unread post754 posts
I haven't heard anything since a month or two ago when they came out with the final design/price tag.

Is there any movement to secure funds, or any sort of work at all beginning any time soon? Is there a way interested volunteers like myself could get involved to help in any way?

I tried looking at the CAR website, but everything there was so vague and it looked like there hadn't been any updates in awhile. What gives?
There's been no public news. The CityArchRiver2015 Foundation is certainly working hard and various engineering studies are being completed. Fundraising is also taking place, but without any announcement, we do not know if there have been any successes. If there were any huge breakthroughs we'd probably hear about it.

There's no way that I know of for the public to be part of the process, except for City to River of course! www.citytoriver.org

DM me or email [email protected] if you want more info about City to River.
They're hiring a communications director, which is probably why things have been quiet for some time. That, and probably a lot of fundraising efforts behind the scenes. Hopefully we'll hear more soon! http://adsaint.org/jobs/communications- ... iver-2015/
stlcolleen wrote:
They're hiring a communications director, which is probably why things have been quiet for some time. That, and probably a lot of fundraising efforts behind the scenes. Hopefully we'll hear more soon! http://adsaint.org/jobs/communications- ... iver-2015/

Ooh...that's tempting. Salivating a little too, thinking about working on this thing. Anybody have 2 years of communications experience they want to lend me so I can get up to a solid (and required) five?
Nice article posted on Stl Beacon on the plaza and Arch Grounds in General or least the most informative article I have read in a while.

http://www.stlbeacon.org/issues-politic ... iner-plaza

A question in my mind, will Peaboby make a significant donation to kick start work on the plaza as they now have firmly planted themselves in Downtown and their Arch View location.
dredger wrote:
Nice article posted on Stl Beacon on the plaza and Arch Grounds in General or least the most informative article I have read in a while.

A question in my mind, will Peabody make a significant donation to kick start work on the plaza as they now have firmly planted themselves in Downtown and their Arch View location.

This could get interesting soon:

"Stastny said that if the Conservancy goes forward with the Kiener project, it likely would be the first major element completed in the complicated Arch grounds project. He said construction would take about a year to 18 months and could get underway by the middle of next year."

It's incredible hard to get any type of information for this project. Only info I have found is on this forum since the competition site has not been updated for a while. I have a brother who is an Architect as well as another buddy and was trying to see if there is any news in the "architecture community" but nothing so far. Did they not hire a communication director yet? I hope they don't work on this incrementally meaning complete Kiener Plaza and then start another phase. They should be able to work on this concurrently. But god knows what the plan is.
dredger wrote:

A question in my mind, will Peaboby make a significant donation to kick start work on the plaza as they now have firmly planted themselves in Downtown and their Arch View location.

Probably the best news so far:

There, the property itself will be radically reconfigured, losing, for example, an amphitheater that becomes an oven in the summertime and a slippery hazard when ice forms on it in winter.
thedude wrote:
But god knows what the plan is.

Which, ironically, may just be exactly what the plan is.
dredger wrote:

While I don't know whether or not Peabody will start donating to Kiener Plaza, I would hope that their commitment to the Gateway One building would lead them to improve the stretch of the Gateway Mall their building interrupts. East of them will be the new Kiener Plaza, as per the MVVA designs; West is Citygarden. If Peabody could lead investment in their own building's property to personally & aesthetically connect these two specialized parts of the Gateway Mall, that'd be a great sign of commitment.
^agreed. Do you have any particular recommendations as to what Peabody should do?
gone corporate wrote:
dredger wrote:

While I don't know whether or not Peabody will start donating to Kiener Plaza, I would hope that their commitment to the Gateway One building would lead them to improve the stretch of the Gateway Mall their building interrupts. East of them will be the new Kiener Plaza, as per the MVVA designs; West is Citygarden. If Peabody could lead investment in their own building's property to personally & aesthetically connect these two specialized parts of the Gateway Mall, that'd be a great sign of commitment.

Great Point, It would be nice if ATT could lead an effort to expand or improve upon the Gateway Mall to the immediate east of Citygarden

My wishful thinking and hope would be Wells Fargo Securities taking up McKee's proposal to book end the west end of Gateway Mall and have both, Peabody & Wells Fargo Securities, become the lead corporate sponsors of the Gateway Mall.
dredger wrote:

Great Point, It would be nice if ATT could lead an effort to expand or improve upon the Gateway Mall to the immediate east of Citygarden

Need to correct myself. I meant to the immediate west of Citygarden

Our another way to put it, Having Wells Fargo Securities, ATT, and Peabody on or next to the Gateway Mall as sponsors would be a great plus to its future.
Back to the question of C+A+R, design and budgeting is continuing and I think there may have been a site visit to NYC, but I would die to know how fundraising is going. I'm pessimistic, and for me a good tell was that there was no major gift announced at the kick-off.

It's possible that good progress is being made in this apparantly "quiet phase," but the extremely challenging deadline that has been set makes no news sound like bad news.

I do hope Kiener gets redone, and I'd like to see every couple of years exciting plans announced for an additional block of the Gateway Mall.
We're starting to see how this is going to be funded. There's $30M+ in the state's transportation budget for work on I-70 along the park and the possible gondola would be bonded - there you go, you're at maybe $60M right there.
Roger Wyoming wrote:
^agreed. Do you have any particular recommendations as to what Peabody should do?

Peabody Aquarium at Gateway One (or CityGarden) has a nice ring to it. A nice half-exposed/half-enclosed aquarium linking the two portions of The Gateway Mall. The building ceases to be a divider if visitors are actively exploring and experiencing its lower level(s).

In all honesty, I kind of dig the current configuration. I like the water features, the steps, could use a bit more shade, but on the whole, not bad. Then again, I also like the Kiener Plaza amphitheater and think IT SHOULD STAY.
http://bit.ly/jt4P4Y

Since unveiling an ambitious plan to transform the grounds of the Gateway Arch, the group leading the effort has kept a quiet profile.

The CityArchRiver 2015 Foundation hasn't held any events, issued any press releases, updated its Facebook and Twitter accounts, or made any public appeal for donations in the past five months.

But the group has been busy behind the scenes as it prepares to become a more visible advocate for the $578 million project later this year, said Walter Metcalfe, a lawyer at Bryan Cave who is steering the effort.

The goal is still to finish most of the work by Oct. 28, 2015, the 50th anniversary of the topping of the Arch. But no one expects that to be easy.

The project needs to get the green light from a number of state and federal agencies. Regulators are trying to determine the project's effect on the environment, downtown traffic and river navigation, among other things.

And there's still the half-billion-dollar question of who pays for the project. Backers have long said the answer is a mix of public funding and private donations. One source of public money could be federal transportation funds, with work on streets and parking on the Arch grounds and its surroundings possibly qualifying for money.

Still, it's too early to say much about the funding split, Metcalfe said.

"Unfortunately, this project is a process, not an event," Metcalfe said. "You can't just flip a switch one moment and have construction start the next."

Metcalfe said the foundation is wrapping up a transition from being a group that "was about ideas" to one that "is about making those ideas happen."

The foundation organized the design competition that in September picked a plan by Michael Van Valkenburgh Associates, a New York landscape-architecture firm, to overhaul the Arch grounds.

The plan calls for closing Memorial Drive, building a landscaped "lid" over Interstate 70 to better connect the Arch grounds to downtown, creating a riverside cobblestone walk, and adding an amphitheater and playground. The plans also calls for eventually developing park and wetlands on the East St. Louis riverfront.
^ shortened the quoted part a bit - we shouldn't post entire articles here per fair use rules.
Alex Ihnen wrote:
^ shortened the quoted part a bit - we should post entire articles here per fair use rules.

Sorry, I meant to post the whole thing. I'm still figuring out using the forum.
Beware of trolls. Copyright trolls, that is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Righthaven_LLC

I'm sure you know all about the DMCA's Safe Harbor provisions: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Online_Cop ... 512.28c.29

I imagine your 7655 posts might satisfy the "red flag test"
I wouldn't rely on fair use doctrine. Fair use comes down to balancing four factors that are within the broad discretion of a judge. Although this might qualify as fair use in the sense that you are critiquing a copyrighted work and aren't earning a profit from it, it's best to just avoid such issues. The DMCA Safe Harbors provide you with further protection, but it's probably best just to insist that people post links to content rather than post the content itself. It might also be a good idea to post your policy on linking to copyrighted material on a thread at the top of the forum page. In addition to helping you avoid problems in the first place, it would make you appear less culpable should a problem arise

Some guidance:
http://malor.wordpress.com/2008/03/04/w ... -fair-use/

Should add that I think these people are trolls in my legally protected opinion (one "troll" sued my copyright law professor for defamation after he referred to him as a troll on his blog). Yeah, lawyers suck
^ Yikes. Meant "shouldn't post entire articles" - sorry for the typo. Not sure what my number of posts has to do with anything :)

I think forum users should post an excerpt as that helps a reader decide whether to click the link or not. I very rarely click a link without having an idea as to the content.
Alex Ihnen wrote:
^ Yikes. Meant "shouldn't post entire articles" - sorry for the typo. Not sure what my number of posts has to do with anything :)

I think forum users should post an excerpt as that helps a reader decide whether to click the link or not. I very rarely click a link without having an idea as to the content.

Understood, chief.

So let's talk about the article! This is exactly what I was waiting for, why I made this thread in the first place.
IMO - there's nothing in the article, zero, zip. The story? The effort has been completely quiet for five months, but not to worry, all is well! This is exactly how we thought it would go!
Yup, nothing new here... we don't have enough capacity a a region to raise enough $$ so we're crossing our fingers that there will be national interest. And government $$? Don't count on anything significant.
National Park Service will begin a formal Environmental Assesment in Sept. and is now accepting public comment on its initial "scoping" phase.

http://parkplanning.nps.gov/document.cf ... ntID=41705

It look like from the downloadable newsletter much of what was contemplated has been scaled back with apparantly no work on the Illinois side anytime soon.