CityArchRiver

The design competition and remake of the Jefferson National Expansion Memorial, AKA the Arch grounds.
First unread post796 posts
Sorry for the misinformation. Could've sworn I saw visitors walking in along there on the south side of the museum fencing.
I'm pretty excited to see Luther Ely Square, the Arch Grounds, and Kiener Plaza with the trees kicking this spring... especially Kiener plaza with those blossom trees on the grassy egg knoll. Should be good stuff for photos.
Speaking of logos...

Here's the new one for the Gateway Arch

http://www.stltoday.com/entertainment/a ... ign=LEEDCC
fixed it:
Imagewhyistherestillafence by Alex Price, on Flickr
:lol:
I've resisted the urge to whine about this, but the new logo is terrible. Also it looks just like Show Me St. Louis.

I might have tried to convince some website or other that they needed an image based on a similar concept . . .

^Alos, aprice . . .

That's awesome!
So is it time to rename this subforum since there's now apparently no longer a JNEM?

-RBB
There's no longer a "CityArchRiver" either. They're now the "Gateway Arch Park Foundation"
Walked by the Eads Bridge today and I'm not seeing why they had to close Washington Ave. Instead of the nice walking path promised in its place, there is literally just a road between 1st and 2nd Streets.
GoHarvOrGoHome wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:14 am
Walked by the Eads Bridge today and I'm not seeing why they had to close Washington Ave. Instead of the nice walking path promised in its place, there is literally just a road between 1st and 2nd Streets.
It will be a nice(r) entrance for Hotel and Convention guests coming down Wash Ave but I really think they should have some kind of vehicular access. It's possible to have both, usually through nice cobblestones, raised crosswalks, etc.
Completely agree.

I already recounted my horror story trying to go from Wash Ave to the Landing because they still haven't opened the gate to the walkway to the arch grounds. And you walk under an elevated highway, and a bunch of confusing traffic lanes. It's not safe as a pedestrian really even if they had the entrance open. I don't see what we're gaining by closing off Wash Ave as it's a big PITA to turn left on Memorial, then go all the way to Landing Blvd, go down, try to park, maybe be forced down those horrible cobblestone streets.

All in all, I'd bet we see it reopened at some point. Just a waste though.
Nice write-up by City Lab on the Arch grounds renovation. New pics, too:

https://www.citylab.com/design/2018/03/ ... MjY2NjY0S0

The other day there were jersey barriers in front of the bollards at the main entrance (by the old cathedral).

I really, really hope those are temporary, because they're
A. Extremely ugly,
and B. Indicative that the not-yet-completed construction is a failure in the area of security.
A new fence has been erected around the new museum entrance.

I heard on one of the news stations that soon possibly this weekend you will be able to enter the grounds from the front. You still will have to use the south leg to access the Arch. They have also filled the reflecting pools as well.
^ well, it's finally happening. Except in typical STL fashion, WAY later than it should have happened so I'm not excited, I'm just still slightly angry. Late meaning: this should have happened in November, frustrations with CityArchRiver delays, aside.

KMOV reporter tweeting that the cap opens today at noon. Again, I'd love to be more excited about this. Maybe I will be after experiencing it in person. I have event down of 4th street tonight. I'll have to swing by after.
https://twitter.com/MarielleMohs/status ... 8015752192
Maybe this has been answered before, but is there going to be any barrier in front of the glass overhang on the museum? I wouldn't obviously be looking to stand and jump off of it towards the pool, but I could see a kid doing it and getting hurt. Not that I want to see any more fences, ever.
bwcrow1s wrote:Maybe this has been answered before, but is there going to be any barrier in front of the glass overhang on the museum? I wouldn't obviously be looking to stand and jump off of it towards the pool, but I could see a kid doing it and getting hurt. Not that I want to see any more fences, ever.
Yes. They appear to be building it now which is probably the main reason for the circular fence still around the new entrance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wow! I just walked over the lid into the arch grounds for the first time. It's fantastic. The way the space opens up around you as you move east from Ely Smith square into the grounds themselves is really dramatic. The mound east of the new museum entrance you can climb and survey the whole gigantic space. Love it. Such an intense sensation of crossing over 4th street and leaving the city grid, entering the channel of green and then being released into this enormous space of curving steel, grass, water and sky.
From the Gateway Arch Park Foundation:

With the gorgeous weather today, my wife and I went down to check out the Arch grounds. Lots of people, many on spring break. But there were also a large number of Asian tourists, it appeared. International tourists seem more interested in the Arch than American tourists, outside of the Midwest. With the pools filled, the grass green, and the sun out, the park was pretty gorgeous. It will be even better in a few weeks when leaves and flowering trees come out again.

Here is a picture of the line at the South Leg:

Not sure what the plantings are on each side of the new walkways down to the riverfront, but the one on top just looks terrible in the winter. I'm sure it will be OK in a few weeks, but shouldn't MVVA have chosen plantings that would be a least marginally attractive year round for this climate? It all looks dead otherwise.

I forgot there is a new sidewalk along the West side of each reflecting pool leading to the Arch legs. Looks nice.
Just curious...is it legal to fly a drone through the legs of the Arch?
^Not without permission from the FAA.