CityArchRiver

The design competition and remake of the Jefferson National Expansion Memorial, AKA the Arch grounds.
First unread post611 posts
gary kreie wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:31 am
Don't tell the Crusaders. They destroyed the original even though it was was of the seven wonders of the ancient world
Well, that's why we put this one up high where they can't reach it.
MarkHaversham wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:49 pm
gary kreie wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:31 am
Don't tell the Crusaders. They destroyed the original even though it was was of the seven wonders of the ancient world
Well, that's why we put this one up high where they can't reach it.
Heck, maybe it will absorb the brunt of religious fervor and leave the real wonder in the picture unmolested. Kind of a bait and switch: "Hey, look at how we built our Mausoleum. You can't reach it, nyeh nyeh! What? What's that over there? Nothing. Just the doorway. The open doorway leading to our sacred wonder."

(For the record, I do actually like the Civil Courts building and I'm told there's some lovely architecture and a great library therein. Though it's a law library, so, your mileage may vary. But the space should be fabulous.)
I took a walk from Washington Ave. through the Arch grounds today. Well, close to it. Signs on Broadway near Washington point in the direction of the Landing. But once you hit Washington Ave, you're on your own. For those who aren't aware (like the group of tourists in front of me asking for directions): From Washington, you have to cross Broadway to a crumbling, caved- in corner of sidewalk, then cross Washington to get to a parking lot that you can cut through to get to the Landing. Just embarrassing.

Anyway, I noticed lots of families strolling the Arch grounds. I saw one group with kids who went up to one of the four pairs of drinking fountains along the walkways. They got nothing. I decided to test them myself. I tested every single one of them (8 in all) and they all had a tiny, useless trickle of water, not enough to drink. Every single one...in July.

After asking some park rangers, I got a number of a maintenance office (closed for the July 3 holiday) and left a message.
Glad someone else noticed the water fountains. By the time they get them turned on, it'll be time to turn them off for winter. I'd hope they're freeze proof, but that's probably asking too much.

Anyone know what the holdup is for opening the Washington Ave entrance to the arch grounds? Looks like it's just closed to make things slightly easier on contractors.

As for the landing, a portion of that giant lot needs to be devoted to a well marked pedestrian path so it doesn't feel so impenetrable.
eee123 wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:05 am
Glad someone else noticed the water fountains. By the time they get them turned on, it'll be time to turn them off for winter. I'd hope they're freeze proof, but that's probably asking too much.

Anyone know what the holdup is for opening the Washington Ave entrance to the arch grounds? Looks like it's just closed to make things slightly easier on contractors.

As for the landing, a portion of that giant lot needs to be devoted to a well marked pedestrian path so it doesn't feel so impenetrable.
The fountains are turned on; they're just unusable because nobody bothered to check the water pressure. It can't be expected to have details - like running water - taken care of when you're only spending three hundred million dollars.
Anyone have recent photos of the museum entrance? I hear the glass is going in.
bprop wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:14 am
The fountains are turned on; they're just unusable because nobody bothered to check the water pressure. It can't be expected to have details - like running water - taken care of when you're only spending three hundred million dollars.
Interesting. A few weeks ago, I was unable to get even a trickle out of any of the fountains.
framer wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:01 pm
Anyone have recent photos of the museum entrance? I hear the glass is going in.
I'll try to stop by there Wednesday.
I stopped by today.
ImageImageImage
^ Looks like the Apple store in Shanghai, except without the tax revenue and adjacent development.

https://www.google.com/search?q=apple+s ... i&tbm=isch
eee123 wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:05 am

A ranger gave me the name of the maintenance supervisor. I called to leave a message and called a week later to follow up.

Apparently the water pressure at the fountains is fine, but the fountains themselves "might" be defective. This has been a known issue for SIX MONTHS (since installation). They don't plan on putting any signs or covering the fountains to let people know it's futile to try to drink from them. Nor are they going to make provisions for people to get water in case repairs - which aren't happening because nobody knows exactly what's wrong - take another six months or more.

Apparently there are more down on LKS Blvd. that don't work also.