CityArchRiver

The design competition and remake of the Jefferson National Expansion Memorial, AKA the Arch grounds.
First unread post611 posts
Assuming most have seen this, but live status:

https://app.oxblue.com/open/modot/cams
Great Drone Video over the arch grounds developments and new museum. Cannot wait for this to be completed downtown!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGgYkptHdkI+
https://www.archwinterfest.com/

The Winterfest at the Arch ice rink at Luther Ely Smith Square opens 27 December for skating with a family fun celebration with music, food, giveaways, and autograph opportunities with Blues alumni.
Nice photo progress report from Arch City on the SkyscraperPage Forum:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showpost.php?p=7628677&postcount=1350

Many more snaps on the link above.

Thanks for the update, AC!!
I took a couple of pictures at the newly opened North Gateway last Saturday. Remember the kids board game Shoots and Ladders? That's what the North Gateway reminds me of.

ImageGateway Arch. North Gateway. Shoots and Ladders. by Gary Kreie, on Flickr

ImageGateway Arch North Gateway Ramp. by Gary Kreie, on Flickr

ImageGateway Arch North Gateway. Ramp to the River. by Gary Kreie, on Flickr
^ Access from Wash Ave isn't opened yet, right? And what were your larger thoughts... do you think it will be a big hit? good for the Landing? etc. etc.
I parked at Lacledes Landing and walked through the hole under Eads. And I drove thru the drop off South of the bridge later. I think GRG needs to program the amphitheaters this summer with outdoor free concerts and other events. Then I could see the space being used by a lot of people. Otherwise, I don't quite know how folks will use the space. Maybe after trees grow up it can be a picnic area. There isn't really a view of anything there. So I guess it could be quiet space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think GRG needs to program the amphitheaters this summer with outdoor free concerts and other events.

I think that's the idea. I believe they have a steady funding stream for programming of all the new Arch spaces.
pat wrote:
I think GRG needs to program the amphitheaters this summer with outdoor free concerts and other events.

I think that's the idea. I believe they have a steady funding stream for programming of all the new Arch spaces.

This is why I hate Kiener 2.0. They could've spent about 50% of what they did, put it all into programming and maybe some modern adds like cool LED lighting, sound system, and maybe a structure for like changing rooms/storage and it would've been much much better and cheaper. Instead we have some many of these non-iconic but nice areas around St. Louis all competing for usage when we already had awesome spots. Invest the money into people instead of nondescript concrete!
The work at the Arch, and Kiener is beautiful. It's not as beautiful as sold to the community in renderings. It's not worth the $100Ms spent on it.
RuskiSTL wrote:
pat wrote:

This is why I hate Kiener 2.0. They could've spent about 50% of what they did, put it all into programming and maybe some modern adds like cool LED lighting, sound system, and maybe a structure for like changing rooms/storage and it would've been much much better and cheaper. Instead we have some many of these non-iconic but nice areas around St. Louis all competing for usage when we already had awesome spots. Invest the money into people instead of nondescript concrete!

True
So is pedestrian access now open all the way from the North Gateway to the current underground museum entrance at the south leg?

-RBB
It was announced yesterday that Kiener Plaza should be open in May but the rest of the Arch work won't open till sometime by the end of the year... brutal.
^ It's amazing how behind they are on the museum work. I'm not sure what exactly happened there that's causing it to be over 2 years behind schedule but sheesh
^nothing really...this is how long this takes they just didn't know when they announced it....GRG is managing this, GRG doesn't build museums.
What's the status of the stairs at the north and south ends? I know there was a kerfuffle about who was paying for them, but what was the verdict?

Right now, everything around those two stairways is done, but the bombed-out stairways are untouched and barricaded.
^ good question; I'm not sure how that turned out/if any commitments were made.
eee123 wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:15 pm
What's the status of the stairs at the north and south ends? I know there was a kerfuffle about who was paying for them, but what was the verdict?

Right now, everything around those two stairways is done, but the bombed-out stairways are untouched and barricaded.
I understand that they are on schedule. :twisted:
eee123 wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:15 pm

I thought the Arch Park Service was hoping to get money in the contest the National Park Service had where the public got to vote on where to spend a particular pot of money. The Arch lost. Maybe they found money elsewhere.
http://www.cityarchriver.org/2017/02/16 ... iverfront/
On the renovated St. Louis riverfront, new bike paths connect to regional trails, ramps on the east slopes of the Jefferson National Expansion Memorial provide accessible routes from the cobblestone levee all the way to the Gateway Arch, new lights provide great illumination, event power is available throughout, and the whole area has been raised to reduce flooding.

Now, CityArchRiver partners Great Rivers Greenway, St. Louis Development Corp., and the City of St. Louis are seeking vendors to enhance and enliven this central space where St. Louis history began and 2.5 million visitors from all over the world visit annually. The effort is part of revitalizing the unique setting as a destination for shopping and recreation for tourists and locals alike.
-RBB
Kiener plaza redo looks beautiful. Especially hanging-light plaza on the north side. Applaud kid friendly area, extended "hallway" and seamless design.

Around the plaza, crews have extended curbs and shortened cross walk for good pedestrian experience in all directions.

The only part that I don't care for is the big grassy oval. Maybe it will fill out when the trees grow, but it's just kinda bleh. With people walking on/over it, it's gonna be an ugly gray patch in the winter.
Now it would be nice for somebody to re-work the Peabody building block South Half to entice folks East and West between the City Garden and Kiener Plaza. Currently, they have two big square forbidding looking bastions to seemingly warn the public to keep out -- private property. Get rid of those and replace the narrow sidewalk with an wide hallway to link the two hallways of Citygarden and Kiener Plaza.
CAR posted these images on Facebook

I was looking back at the original winning MVVA proposal. It had three cafe's on the Arch grounds -- one in the museum underground, one outdoors between the new entrance and the North Pond, and one in place of a portion of the Old Cathedral parking lot -- renamed Cathedral square. And the word "cafe" shows up 3 other places in their proposal -- Kiener Plaza, the waterfront, and the East Side. Other than food on the waterfront, will any of the others exist? I believe they were all eliminated except possibly the one underground.
You know things are bad when we wax nostalgic over a floating McDonald's.

http://www.riverfronttimes.com/foodblog ... f-the-arch