Hope Lutheran School residential conversion

Discuss renovations and new residential construction in South City -- defined by the area south of Interstate 44/55.
Heard from a developer at the Southampton Neighborhood Association meeting on Wednesday night (March 13) who wants to convert the Hope Lutheran School building on Brannon Avenue and Eichelberger into 24 high-end residential apartments. Rents at about $650 for one bedroom units, looking for young professionals and graduate students who would want to head up Kingshighway. It's a father-son team who've done a couple other projects in the area (Brian Minges and his father) and they said in previous projects quite a few folks have bought homes in the area after living in the apartments.
Interesting. That was my grade school, K - 8. I'd love to take a tour of the units after its finished.

I'd still rather see some other school take it over, though.
Just saw an Advantas Development sign in front of the school and some pictures on their web site:

http://advantesdevelopment.com/IN-DEVELOPMENT/5320-Brannon/1/

Does anyone have more information?
Pretty trippy for me looking at those pics. I spent nine years of my youth in that building.

Curious that they don't post some renderings of what it will look like after the renovation.
I don't get this at all, the location just doesn't fit for apartments.
^Why not? The north side of Eichleberger is a solid wall of apartment buildings from the school all the way to Kingshighway, and there's 2 and 4-family buildings scattered all over the immediate neighborhood.
This looks like it could be a cool project with reasonable rents.... I'll be adding to the 2014 projects list.
framer wrote:
^Why not? The north side of Eichleberger is a solid wall of apartment buildings from the school all the way to Kingshighway, and there's 2 and 4-family buildings scattered all over the immediate neighborhood.

east of that building, yes there is a row of 4 family buildings (maybe 5-6) and about 3 across the street but again all 4 family, nothing close to a 20+ unit building. something like this would have made more sense facing Hampton south of Hampton village where there is a few bigger buildings.
Work has started on this a while back, from what i can tell from the street driving by there are in the framing stage.
Open jan 1. First look- kinda a like'em

$800 @ 700sq feet- loft style; off street parking.
Nice design. I dig the giant windows. Then again, if I lived there, I don't know how crazy I would be about not be able to see through them.
Drove by over the weekend, from the street level i have no idea how this will be ready for Jan 2015 like their ad says on Craigslist
Some concrete pouring on the outside is happening and now they have a name... the McLofts...I mean the mack lofts. :D
Wonder how the mack bar feels about the name
People moving in this weekend...the entire thing is not finished but 2 of 3 floors are.
The mixed used building across the street that was boarded up and in various stages of renovation for the past decade is now permitted to open an organic grocery store.
erina wrote:
The mixed used building across the street that was boarded up and in various stages of renovation for the past decade is now permitted to open an organic grocery store.

noticed that yesterday, my brother is going to get one of the units in the building so we went for a tour.....one thing i didnt like is some of the 2nd floor units the windows that start in the middle of the wall and go to the ceiling. basically you can see the street when looking out. Seems like they have about 15-18 of the 24 units leased and its not even all done yet. When we went there was bout 4-5 other people looking and they are were under age 28 by my estimate.
^
Knowitall wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

just kidding you a bit!
roger wyoming II wrote:
^
Knowitall wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

just kidding you a bit!

they did a decent job inside and landscaping plan looks good with plenty of outdoor common area space...all the people living there will have a good time bbqing in the summer.

another thing i didnt like is they went cheap on the counters in the kitchen....
Rent starts at $700 for 1 bedroom about 625 sq feet- highest is $850 (looked about 750sq ft) and it have windows running across the whole space.
2 bedroom start at $1000 and highest is $1250.
I spent my grade school years in this building, and one thing I remember very well is the huge walls of windows. I always wondered how they would break these up into smaller units.
Advantes has also bought a former school in soulard that they are converting to lofts
^Yes, Lafayette School on Ann Avenue between 7th and 9th.

The plan there is to convert to 47-52 apartments over three floors
^ Awesome... Hope it gets underway soon.