1322 Dolman - apartments/office rehab Lafayette Square

Discuss renovations and new residential construction in South City -- defined by the area south of Interstate 44/55.
I must be psychic. Last Friday a group of friends went to Square One Brewery, and I pointed to this building and wondered why such a prime building in a prime location hadn't been rehabbed yet. Well, voila! From today's Post-Dispatch:
Apartments and street-level offices are coming to a former mop factory on the eastern edge of Lafayette Square, near downtown St. Louis.

Read more: http://www.stltoday.com/business/column ... z1zf5lvlnu
That is awesome news.... no longer will there be a neglected property at this key gateway to the neighborhood!
Question - is everything to the east Truman Pkwy on Park Avenue low income housing and if so, is it expected to remain as such in the foreseeable future? I’d imagine that has an effect on the flow of private capital into the surrounding area.
Vinny wrote:
Question - is everything to the east Truman Pkwy on Park Avenue low income housing and if so, is it expected to remain as such in the foreseeable future? I’d imagine that has an effect on the flow of private capital into the surrounding area.

There are some market-rate single-family homes in the area bounded by Tucker, 13th, Hickory and Park. They were built by Pyramid, and I'm guessing they won't age well. I think there may also be some market-rate apartments south of Park. I can only imagine how unbelievable that area would be now had all the low-income housing not been built there.
Great news for Lafayette Square. I wish they were doing retail/restaurant in the basement/first floor of his building, but there seems to be more than enough of that for the neighborhood at this time. Just getting more people renters/workers is the most important thing for now.
Hopefully this project will jump start redevelopment efforts along Dolman. It would be especially great to see new construction at the northwest corner of Dolman and Park.
What is the deal with this? The for sale signs are still up and no movement. Anyone know the deal here?
This one is dead. Nothing happening and the owner isn't budging on price. After at least three different attempts, this may unfortunately sit for a long time.
Alex Ihnen wrote:
This one is dead. Nothing happening and the owner isn't budging on price. After at least three different attempts, this may unfortunately sit for a long time.

Maybe only for a short time:

A special meeting has been called in Lafayette Square to discuss a $10M historic rehab of the Bouras Broom/Mop Building into 47 income-restricted loft apartments.

Those present at the meeting (Wednesday, September 4th, 7:00 PM @ Sqwires Annex - wink, wink) will vote to decide if the neighborhood supports the State and Federal Development Tax Credits that would be awarded for the income-restricted residential units ($25K minimum annual income, $38K maximum annual income, plus subject to background checks, credit, unemployment, etc.).

The project is being developed by RR Jennings Developer, LLC (Stacie Hastie) and would be managed by Fairway Management, Inc. (same as The Lofts at Lafayette Square and The Residences at Forest Park). Hastie is a partner in the City Hospital/Georgian development and the Bohemian Hill commercial development. He also took over a few Pyramid properties when the company closed.

I will be in attendance and will be supporting the project. I think that any successful neighborhood is one that is not only multi-cultural but also mutli-socioeconomic, in essence one that has a range of social and economic status (think Stapleton in Denver, CO).

If I hear anything else in the meantime I will pass on, otherwise I encourage all the 'neighbors' to come out to support...
Wow, this sounds good. I completely agree with your thoughts on economic diversity. Can non-Lafayette residents vote?
[quote="Can non-Lafayette residents vote?[/quote]

It's not like they will be asking to see your Driver's License when you vote.

So, yes...(?)
---
Seems like the sure way to never get anything done is to call a public meeting on a project and have a "yes" or "no" vote on a project.
mattonarsenal wrote:
Seems like the sure way to never get anything done is to call a public meeting on a project and have a "yes" or "no" vote on a project.

More or less what happened last night:

There were 262 votes from all sources.

At the meeting the vote was 78 yes 96 no.
At this point the absentee vote is 53 yes - 35 no.
Total 131 vs. 131.
Voting is closed.

There is no consensus either way. So the Lafayette Square Redevelopment Committee board members still standing decided to write a letter saying just that. No consensus for or against. They are word crafting a letter now to express that.

They stated that they are not going to "torpedo the development nor were they going to endorse the Section 42 Credits'. They are simply writing a letter stating neutral support from the neighborhood and the Developer (Stacie Hastie) can do with it as he so sees.

The State does not award those Credits until February.

So check back in February...
I wonder if it would make any difference if they marketed it as "artist lofts", similar to the Metropolitan Bldg. in Grand Center. Exact same income restrictions as they now propose, but a different "vibe".
Is there any news on this? Is it dead in the water? I am shocked this prime property has not found some renovation $. With the dental school, fields foods, element, etc happening across Truman, it's hard to believe this place sits and sits.
No update as far as I an aware, a 'neutral' position from the neighborhood has been sent to Jeff City - as far as I know, neutral means green light from neighborhood when it comes to these tax credits. Results for tax credits would come in early 2014. From all I've heard from a multiple of sources, this building is in a very bad shape - to rehab it would take a lot if $$ and seller is not budging.
A new developer has submitted another proposal for this site. Not asking for neighborhood approval this time.

15 Market Rate
19 Low Income Units
1.2 Parking Spaces per Unit

Already the cries are going out, "How will business be able to stay open when all the parking is taken by apartment dwellers!"
^ Looks like there are fewer apts. this time around & and mixed-income with ample parking so I would imagine it would garner more local support. Hopefully this one will work out.
I think there are commercial units proposed as well.
^That'd be great.

The north and east facing units are going to have some really spectacular views of DT.
People are freaking about this yet again (same people but still) I received an anonymous flyer:

"do you want a SUBSIDIZED HOUSING PROJECT @ PARK AND DOLMAN ; about 1/2 to be low income, about 1/2 to be mkr rate (which can include section 8) or do you want to let a 'derelect' building sit until it makes financial sense for non 'subsizided' or owner occupants

option two : would be safer! - better for property values!
(read front page of Sunday 10-19 Post Dispatch)
VOICE YOUR OPINION
Phyllis Young Alderwoman-- young@stlouis-mo.gov
Missouri Housing Development Dept 800-523-1434
Project 15-097 Dolman Lofts
Missouri development @ ded.mo.gov

nice huh?
Given the concentration of public housing, and therefore poverty, east of Truman, I'd say the residents of LS absolutely have a right to demand waiting for a market solution. If someone is hot to develop subsidized housing, let them do it in Clayton or Chesterfield. The city is done warehousing the poor.
^ I agree. In fact, I say we kick everyone out of the Metropolitan and stop work on the Arcade-Wright. No way we should let working-but-not-wealthy people have housing in this city! :cry:
onecity wrote:
Given the concentration of public housing, and therefore poverty, east of Truman, I'd say the residents of LS absolutely have a right to demand waiting for a market solution. If someone is hot to develop subsidized housing, let them do it in Clayton or Chesterfield. The city is done warehousing the poor.

I agree with that mostly but I think on the project when they say low income they mean artist lofts non section 8.(Am I wrong ?) I feel the city does not need more section 8 housing but more unites some were in between markets rate and Section 8 like 500 to 600 a month no subsidy. I know a lot of great people that are not really that middle class but don't want to live in the hood. The city needs more places in between incomes. I think old north and Hyde park can be that. But if the majority of residents are for or not for something I tend to side with them.