Fox Park Update

Discuss renovations and new residential construction in South City -- defined by the area south of Interstate 44/55.
GoHarvOrGoHome wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:01 am
St. Louis needs some kind of vacant property receivership program. In layman's terms a vacant house would be could be purchased under a irresponsible owner for fair market value by a private or nonprofit entity. It incentivises owners to maintain their properties. I know a few cities on the east coast such as Baltimore use this pretty effectively. Paul McKee would be sad but that sucks for him.
Cleveland also has or at least had powers to get derelict vacant homes into the hands of a qualified CDC/n'hood development entity more easily than a lot of places but I believe Missouri property laws make that sort of thing much more difficult here. (If I also recall correctly, STL voters themselves just a few years back defeated a ballot question that in part would have raised the very modest fine amounts on owners of cited property.)
STLrainbow wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:03 am
SouthCityJR wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:50 pm
This is a must read:

http://www.stlouiscitytalk.com/posts/20 ... ghborhoods

I haven't read something that made my blood boil like this in a long time! Our Alderman and Mayor need to do something about this problem immediately.
Definitely a good read. The most frustrating things to me are...
1) the condition/lack of securing the LRA home (which also isn't appearing for sale on their website)
2) the former LRA home that was sold a few years ago but no redevelopment proceeding (though it looks like a permit was issued in 2016) I seem to recall LRA is enabled to take those back if no rehab is done by x amount of months. Anyone know?
3) the one across from Fox Park owned by a nearby business
4) city's general lack of ability to quickly and effectively secure privately-owned buildings, which I think to some extent is due to state laws and to some extent lack of having act together.

But I would say from my admittedly outside look Fox Park seems definitely to be on the up as a whole and what's examined here is atypical (and a number of which do appear to have redevelopment in the works) and different from a more dominant and destructive dynamic that's continuing to depress large swaths of North City. There, properties continue to be abandoned and added to LRA's holdings while in this case it appears to be more of a slower housing market than we might like getting properties out of ownership of absentee owners/speculators and over to those who will return them to use.
Looks like the reason that LRA-owned residential building isn't for sale is that someone put an offer on it -- $500. So hopefully something good comes of it. Really interesting how few LRA homes are available in South City.
A few years ago when I was looking at houses, my realtor showed me a few really nice rehabs in Fox Park. At the time, she said she thought Fox Park still needed 5 years or so to fully improve, but she thought its location was better than Benton Park West and would come back faster than that neighborhood. I'm wondering if she was right.

Which neighborhood do folks think will improve faster, Fox Park or Benton Park West?
My major belief about most of South City is that Jefferson, Gravois, and Broadway/7th are major (literal) roadblocks to development as they stand right now. I know N/S Metro is planned for Jefferson which will be HUGE, but in their current states these thoroughfares are impediments to investment. The city needs to development a major plan to overhaul both of these streets to:

1 - Make them more pedestrian/bike friendly.
2 - Decrease lanes/traveled speeds.
3 - Beautification projects to attract development.

Therefore, I vote Fox Park as it deals with only Jefferson on the far East end of the neighborhood, whereas BPW is sandwiched between Jefferson and Gravois.
newstl2020 wrote: My major belief about most of South City is that Jefferson, Gravois, and Broadway/7th are major (literal) roadblocks to development as they stand right now.
100%

The city needs plans for all these streets, especially at major intersections. If the city addressed the Gravois-Jefferson-Sidney intersection, it would go a long way in harnessing momentum in all the surrounding neighborhoods. The city just cannot have a major intersection anchored by gas stations and fast food chains.
N/S should help to narrow Jefferson as a whole, but a well manicured (and maintained -- Tucker is a joke IMO) median would be good too. My only complaint with landscaped medians is that it can be hard to see over them -- Jefferson at Fitness Factory/Save A Lot is a nightmare -- I have seen numerous accidents there because drivers turning left from northbound Jefferson can't see over the tall grasses, etc. I think just trees would be huge to a) beautify it, b) discourage jaywalking and c) narrow the road. Perhaps even have the Link ROW run in the middle with both sides flanked by nice medians. This would also preserve sight lines for drivers needing to make left turns from Jefferson.
SouthCityJR wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:56 pm
A few years ago when I was looking at houses, my realtor showed me a few really nice rehabs in Fox Park. At the time, she said she thought Fox Park still needed 5 years or so to fully improve, but she thought its location was better than Benton Park West and would come back faster than that neighborhood. I'm wondering if she was right.

Which neighborhood do folks think will improve faster, Fox Park or Benton Park West?
Fox Park is well ahead of Benton Park West. But there is a lot more appreciation to be had if you're to purchase a newly renovated home in BPW vs FP.
FYI,

In the DeSales Feb Newsletter they stated that Brick City Makes is moving forward with their project at Texas Ave.
^ great to hear. I was wondering where that stood as well as the UIC plan for a portion of the Liggett-Meyers complex in McRee Town. Gotta re-use what's remaining of our industrial heritage as much as we can,
STLrainbow wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:19 pm
^ great to hear. I was wondering where that stood as well as the UIC plan for a portion of the Liggett-Meyers complex in McRee Town. Gotta re-use what's remaining of our industrial heritage as much as we can,
Is that UIC plan even active at this point with them focusing on the warehouse at Vandeventer and Tower Grove instead?
chaifetz10 wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:42 pm
STLrainbow wrote:
Is that UIC plan even active at this point with them focusing on the warehouse at Vandeventer and Tower Grove instead?
That isn't UIC, another developer is doing that.
ImprovSTL wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:26 am
chaifetz10 wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:42 pm
STLrainbow wrote:
That isn't UIC, another developer is doing that.
https://www.pierpropertygroup.com/
Restaurant opening in Fox Park at Ohio and Ann:
Logan Ely is opening a restaurant at 2655 Ann in the Fox Park neighborhood. This week, they'll likely start drilling and sledgehammering, as well as bringing in lumber and drywall. Ely is aiming for a June opening.
https://www.stlmag.com/dining/savage-re ... is-summer/