DeTonty Apartments and town homes

Discuss renovations and new residential construction in South City -- defined by the area south of Interstate 44/55.
^ nice! And it looks like a planned construction fast track. (Although I guess that means they'll be built like crap.)
Does anyone know why there aren't sound barriers on highways in the City?

I wonder if those would help houses do better next to the highway
^A better question is why DeTonty is a nice street over on Floyd's side of Tower Grove Avenue, but it is kept as a grassy berm all the way to Grand.

The Thurman Gateway project and the 44 food forest have great promise, but the tallest cup plant will not absorb as much noise as a cedar tree. Prairie is better than mown grass, but it needs a hedge of button bushes or something at the top of the hill.

At least on the other side of grand, there are natural rock walls and a slope rather than open air.
Sound walls are literally the most controversial thing in road building...i think modot is being sued for putting them up on one side of 64 and the other side is suing for not having sound walls...its a lose-lose.
any idea what the final design looked like? There have been several iterations.
dbInSouthCity wrote:
Sound walls are literally the most controversial thing in road building...i think modot is being sued for putting them up on one side of 64 and the other side is suing for not having sound walls...its a lose-lose.

I don't think people would mind if they put up hedge or densely planted trees to act as a barrier. Surely there are plants that don't need constant maintenance.

Crittenden said he hopes the first-phase apartments will be ready for tenants by late this summer.

This seems rather quick. In 6 months they will complete construction on 36 apts? Is that right?
^ I don't think the expectations are too high. But probably doable, more so with slab and frame construction but not sure if that is desireable or you would desire for the St. Louis area.
Please, god, no sound walls in the City!
Why?
^Seriously? Because they break every aesthetic rule in the book.
While I usually prefer to think of issues in a citywide manner and not give into hyper local views, I really think the people that live next to the highways should matter a lot more than the cars rushing by and their view. I mean the highway is a loud eyesore while a sound wall would be a quiet one, and they could also be painted.
Because they break every aesthetic rule in the book.

Aesthetic rule for who? Are you against sound walls because drivers can't see the city as they whiz by?
I live exactly 1 mile north of 40/64and it's very loud.
^Agreed. I live about 4 blocks south of 44 in Shaw and there's a constant hum of highway noise. Its got to be incredibly annoying to be on Detonty with a window that faces the highway.
In the city noise should be expected I think. The sides of the highway are just unsightly brush. Can you imagine living in Chicago with the L going through the alley behind your house/apartment? The L is probably louder than 15 lanes of traffic but is a bit more aesthetically pleasing.
Why should you expect to compromise on livability if you live in the city? Highway sound it not a necessary evil. I realize you may not like the particular aesthetic of a particular wall, but it makes homes facing the highway a lot more pleasant. The downside is you can lose natural lighting depending on which direction the highway runs, but you have to agree both of these are better than having 10 lanes of interstate outside your front door.

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.9325622,-93.2753265,3a,75y,298.38h,76.39t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sPLaAI5IOUm5azltE_2eTLA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.9119009,-93.2754606,3a,75y,244.2h,88.26t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sJAju4sQ-Y-KJc7kZ-eAhzA!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo2.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DJAju4sQ-Y-KJc7kZ-eAhzA%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D217.67595%26pitch%3D0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1
UIC ‏@uicstl
Brick going up at DeTonty Street Apartments! @TowerGroveCDC @Shaw_STL

flipz wrote:
dbInSouthCity wrote:

I don't think people would mind if they put up hedge or densely planted trees to act as a barrier. Surely there are plants that don't need constant maintenance.

You mean like bush honeysuckle? Probably eastern red cedar is the easiest. It's a naturally weedy pioneering species that can hold its own with evergreen density. It smells nice and offers good cover and food for birds. Without 'constant maintenance' you'd still get honeysuckle, tree of heaven, and the usual rogues gallery of invasives in any left over space though.

The Shaw Memorial Forest closer to Grand has a really good mix of native fruit bearing trees and shrubs with a few evergreens at the northern end. Everything there is still quite young, but it will clearly make a difference down the road.
Status Report- 15 Nov 16:

Comparison photo: new construction (left) to old (right)

At the Shaw Neighborhood Meeting a week or two back Alderman Conway mentioned all the townhomes have been pre-sold. I think rentals should be moving in sometime this summer. there is a house near this project that UIC also re-did and it is still on the market for like $300k