Good job KC!

Discuss new retail, dining, business, residential projects, or urban affairs in the areas of Missouri outside Metro St. Louis.
First unread post346 posts
jshank83 wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:48 pm
warwickland wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:21 pm

in a nutshell, can someone explain what happened with the kc airport?
The city council rejected the memorandum of understanding with Edgemoor to build the new airport. They might now reopen the process and start from scratch picking a different company to build it. Mostly it could just delay the project by years. It probably will still happen but the timeline is going to be stretched out.
ah, thanks.
warwickland wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:18 pm

They were stringing up the fiber lines in my backyard last year. I live in a part of U-City north of Delmar with unfortunately no alleys so they were like yard hopping, looked like it sucked...some contractor crew from Kansas i think.
They tore up my front yard a little bit. Luckily they left my landscaping alone. They planted cheap grass that in no way matched the rest of my yard in the area they moved some dirt. I will have to replace it. Not a huge deal, just annoying. haha.
warwickland wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:21 pm
in a nutshell, can someone explain what happened with the kc airport?
  1. City council rejected the initial MOU with Edgemoor on a 9-4 vote.
  2. Council is still negotiating with Edgemoor to address concerns and reach a solution.
  3. In response, second-place AECOM has teamed up w/ local favorite Burns & McDonnel (who were disqualified from initial selection process) and announced they are ready to begin discussions with the council.
  4. Mayor has stated that since negotiations with Edgemoor are still on-going, AECOM/B&M should stand-down for now and not muddy the waters, and that if negotiations do reach an impasse, he prefers the project gets re-bid versus just handing it over to the second place team.
  5. KC is still getting a new single-terminal airport despite what Chalupas54 thinks or desires.
The airport thing is posturing by KC's city council and could blow over in a week or three. They pull 11th hour BS like this often to show their power over Mayor, did the same with convention hotel but then things moved forward when getting what they want. But then again, it could turn into lawsuits.
^Once the lawyers get involved, it can add years to anything. See Dickens' Bleak House.
Big KCI Service Announcement at 11am today. Likely a direct flight to Europe.

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity ... j=79473501

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ldai_phs wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:24 am

Nice. It will be interesting to see who it is. I'll guess Norwegian if it isn't an iceland carrier. It is a weird time to announce a Europe flight but I can't imagine they would have a press conference for a flight to Raleigh or something.
Iceland air it is! 3x a week seasonally until September
According to rumblings over at the KCRag, the Three Light Tower at the Power and Light District, is supposed to be unveiled at the upcoming Kansas City Planning Commission meeting. This plan should include a cost along with a time line for construction.
ldai_phs wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:24 am

And new airport with original developer is back on track too after a short hiccup that looked like it might lead to lawsuits.

And Feds gave a preliminary thumbs up to proceed with proposal for streetcar expansion to Plaza/UMKC...
https://cityscenekc.com/streetcar-exten ... from-feds/
jshank83 wrote:Iceland air it is! 3x a week seasonally until September
Airport still talking with the other airlines interested in KC to Europe flights. Will be interesting to see what happens.

ldai_phs wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:59 am
jshank83 wrote:Iceland air it is! 3x a week seasonally until September
Airport still talking with the other airlines interested in KC to Europe flights. Will be interesting to see what happens.
Yep. There are a lot of airports in talks with airlines for flights to Europe though, so we will see how much that means. Talking doesn't get me excited. You can talk to an airline about a route that has zero chance of happening and say you have been "talking".
Some had mentioned on this board that Alaska would look to KC as a mid America Focus City. With Iceland Air (Alaska Partner) starting Flights soon and Condor(Alaska Partner) in talks with the airport(I believe more than “just talking”), I can see an Alaska Expansion in KC much more likely. Thoughts?

^well, multiple ways to go about this.
1, until announcements are made, it’s not safe to assume flights are coming. This board was burned ~bad~ in August with a faulty BA announcement. As jshank said, route development officials and airlines are always talking. I can pretty much assure you that Condor will not be coming to MCI in the next year or so. MCI, which has never had TATL before, will be watched closely by multiple airlines to see how the 3x weekly, seasonal, Icelandair route performs. That all is unless MCI Route developers can cut a massive check to an airline, which from my understanding they cannot. That has been a major problem in STL also. STL however was just greenlit to authorize up to 4 million in incentives to give to airlines-most definitely for the lucrative BA Route STL has been pursuing for years.

In regards to Alaska expansion, I would say the chances of an Alaska focus city at MCI is equivalent to one opening at Omaha Eppley. Firstly, MCI, a major DL and WN market, is not seeing major passenger growth. Any Alaska expansion would probably get squashed immediately by Southwest. Where would the passengers come from? Also, where would Alaska fly from MCI to? I don’t believe Alaska’s business model is to become a Southwest, moreso to connect the rest of the country with the Pacific Northwest. I believe as stated before, MCI’s likely growth the next few years will be from WN, which even I believe will be marginal at best. I have seen this Alaska theory multiple places and I don’t get it. I would encourage you to ask this on Airliners.net however. You could get a much clearer answers
^ to add this I can't see anyone (besides what Southwest already has) doing major adds out of MCI until the new terminal is done. After that then it will depend on what KC's demographics and passenger counts are in 4 or 5 years, or whenever they get this terminal thing ironed out. Until then they just don't have the setup for it, so it is hard to speculate what will happen that far out. Will Jetblue and Alaska merge by then? (if at all). Will they merge with Sun Country or someone else? For me it is just too far out to try to speculate.

I don't think Icleandair/Condor are going to have much of an effect on Alaska and MCI, and visa versa. Almost all the places Alaska flies from MCI already have Icelandair/Condor nonstops to Iceland/Europe. No one is going to connect SAN-MCI-KEF-Europe so I would guess connection traffic out of this will be low to none. They probably have closer connections point.

Alaska adding LAX is about the only add I can see happening, but AA just cut it so that doesn't make me think there is a ton of unused capacity on it. If they would add LGA (again AA just cut it) then that might signal something, but for now they haven't really added any more and MCI then any other midwest station. Alaska also is having a bunch of fleet issues at the moment so until those get worked out I am guessing they are in a holding pattern for awhile.
Chalupas54 wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:10 am
Also, the 800 room Hyatt skyscraper proposed for Dt Kansas City is dead.
Chalupas54 wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:11 pm
A close family friend of ours is an underwriter for the contractor for this project. They said this project was originally planned to be the tallest building in Missouri, clocking in a 640+. She says now this project does not appear this project will ever get off the ground.
Chalupas54 wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:53 am
If it ever gets built.

Construction starts Monday

3 Light to be announced next week. Potential for 10% Condo. Building should be about 25-30 floors

That Loews building looks like a hospital and is ugly IMO. Yucky. If 3 Light is announced... it will be much better than that I hope. Not a real fan of the whole P&L District in general. M-Th evenings it is dead and the entire project is internal - mall feeling and no streetscape - except for the big box billboard walls on the outside. It is too fabricated and suburban feeling IMO - Thank God BPV is more external and neighborhood feeling.
matguy70 wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:23 pm
That Loews building looks like a hospital and is ugly IMO. Yucky. If 3 Light is announced... it will be much better than that I hope. Not a real fan of the whole P&L District in general. M-Th evenings it is dead and the entire project is internal - mall feeling and no streetscape - except for the big box billboard walls on the outside. It is too fabricated and suburban feeling IMO - Thank God BPV is more external and neighborhood feeling.
Tell us how you really feel.
I just did. I'm not going to type it all again. :shock: :wink:
Lets be real BPV isn't even comparable to P&L thats now a well established entertainment district and soon to be full fledged neighborhood with soon to be 3 rather impressive high-rises. For BPV to be even comparable there need to be more entertainment choices and phase 3 needs to be well under construction which is a distance away thats why I'm hoping 300 broadway gets the green light.
I for one don't mind the new convention hotel there its not the most architecturally appealing however its far from being unattractive.
Im actually excited to see the renderings of 3 light I'm just hoping it doesn't look like 1 cardinal way :lol: