MetroLink station ridership-- Busiest and least busy?

All the ways we move people and things: trains, planes, automobiles, biking, walking, etc.
First unread post311 posts
That poll reminded me of the bit in Daredevil about what color the new subway line should be.
Couple questions hopefully ya'll can help me out with....

1) Will there be any way to track increase in usage of the Pine Street station before and after the Arcade opening?
2) Anyone know the status of the Civic Center expansion project?
roger wyoming II wrote:
1) Will there be any way to track increase in usage of the Pine Street station before and after the Arcade opening?

Probably not. Metro's been pretty bad about releasing (and assumedly tracking) station specific ridership data. APTA reports monthly systemwide ridership data, and Metro reports annual systemwide ridership data, but there haven't been station specific totals reported for years. I think the last station specific data that was released was for the comprehensive TOD study that was completed on a station-by-station basis - and even that was only collected for a brief period and wasn't averaged over an entire year.

For a so-called "development" agency, you'd think they'd report such data more often so that employers, retailers, developers, etc... could have a clearer sense of transit trends and the way people in the region get around. MetroLink Ridership is up over 10% in the last 5 years, with much of that growth probably coming from the CWE station. Such data could help justify and encourage even more investment.

Hopefully they'll at the very least complete a detailed survey after the Boyle/Cortex Station opens to see how the station is performing and how much it has cannibalized from the CWE and Grand Stations.

Getting even more OT here, and completely unrelated to your questions RW, but here are the initial projections for the Boyle/Cortex Station that CMT included in their March 2014 sales pitch/slideshow:

The projections would put it right around the median for ridership - and seem pretty attainable considering the accelerating activity and investment in the immediate area. I wonder if Metro will re-route the 80, 42 or 14 to serve the Boyle/Cortex Station, which would also help boost ridership.
wabash wrote:
roger wyoming II wrote:

Probably not. Metro's been pretty bad about releasing (and assumedly tracking) station specific ridership data. APTA reports monthly systemwide ridership data, and Metro reports annual systemwide ridership data, but there haven't been station specific totals reported for years.

Metro does keep track of ridership by station, they just don't release the data to the public unless you formally request it from them.
^ thanks, guys... hopefully I'll remember in a year or so to try and get that info about the Pine Station. I really hope the Arcade-Wright provides a bit of a jump to not just the station count but also overall ridership.
mill204 wrote:
Metro does keep track of ridership by station, they just don't release the data to the public unless you formally request it from them.

Do you have any idea of what kind of channels to go through or who to contact to do that? I'm happy to do the leg work to get it, but it'd help to be pointed in the right direction.
^ start here- fill out the email page select *Transit Information*
http://www.metrostlouis.org/CustomerSup ... pport.aspx
wabash wrote:
Probably not. Metro's been pretty bad about releasing (and assumedly tracking) station specific ridership data. APTA reports monthly systemwide ridership data, and Metro reports annual systemwide ridership data, but there haven't been station specific totals reported for years.

If only there were some sort of system that could track individual entries (and potentially exits) from each Metrolink platform. I'm imagining a magical apparatus wherein a passenger passes through a rotational barricade, with each quarter rotation representing another rider on a counter. An off-shoot of this contraption would be heightened security (real and perceived) and a renewed responsibility on the rider to support his/her Metrolink experience at an appropriate expense level.

(Or we could just get automated cards to collect that data...)
Kevin B wrote:
If only there were some sort of system that could track individual entries (and potentially exits) from each Metrolink platform.

Busdad wrote:
Since December 2001, Metro has used an automated passenger count system from a German company (INIT) to determine passenger boardings by station. Each door has a dual infrared counter that measures the number of times the beam is crossed from outside to inside and the number of times it is crossed inside to out. As long as the object crossing the beam is "warm", it is assumed to be a passenger boarding or exiting. We have tested this system repeatedly and found that is it more accurate that manual methods of counting.

Like any system of counting its not perfect. Our manual tests in controlled situations has verified that its accuracy is in the high 90s and its reliability is also in the high 90's.
Are there recent station boarding numbers available?
That information can be requested. http://www.metrostlouis.org/customer-care/

Select "Speakers, Tours, and Research" in the Department Tab in the contact form.