St. Louis Lambert Int. Airport [airline/hub/operations/info]

All the ways we move people and things: trains, planes, automobiles, biking, walking, etc.
First unread post4140 posts
matguy70 wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:18 pm
While I can understand how some people prefer Southwest over AA / UA / DL when flying in coach, I can't comprehend someone saying that they prefer Southwest to First Class / Business Class on a legacy airline.
First class is wasted on a flight 4 hours or less... so from STL that is anywhere domestic. Personally, the cost of first class is so ridiculous that, unless you are a rewards members using upgrades or working for a company that gets the upgrades... it is a joke. I far prefer my friendly, easy and comfortable biz class boarding and, always bulkhead and/or aisle seat on an airline that is known for excellent customer service, high rewards, free baggage, no change fees and free cancellations, priority TSA line, excellent safety record, newer large 737 planes (nothing smaller), free onboard live TV and Movies WIFI and comfortable leg room seating. In addition, from STL mostly all nonstop service without headache connections.

For the most part I agree-domestically outside of a transcon product like DeltaOne, United Polaris, JetBlue Mint or AA 321T, when you can get a good aisle exit row or extra legroom seat it's hardly worth it particularly since AA has cut pitch and catering has gone downhill significantly since 09/2014.

It is worth noting though that in many markets US legacy carriers are pricing premium cabins aggressively to the point where it can be $50-100 more than main cabin, so if someone is checking bags and doesn't have status that alone almost pays for the differential. I've done JetBlue Mint close-in where the $599 promo fare is only $150 more than the Blue/main cabin offering.
Southwest has their Mid-August thru September schedule out.

Nothing exciting. Seasonal shifts.

Takes away 1 flight each to Boston, New Orleans, Orlando, and San Diego.

Also, ends the seasonal flights to Panama City and Pensacola (PNS was only on Saturday). I would expect this is about the normal shift.
I think that is the normal to be expected changes that is done seasonally. Interesting to note some of the summer seasonal adds like the 2nd Austin and the Sat/Sun Charleston are still there.

Also the next one will be one to really watch due to the significant fleet retirements since there will be a bit of a crunch then. It would be unlikely to see anything new here until that's resolved which I think is spring next year. Meaning if there is nothing non-seasonally cut then its likely safe for some time since the time to cut things would be then when its needed.
^I looked at last years at the same time and we lost the exact same flights with the exception of PNS (because we didn't have that flight last year) and the extra San Diego flight (because we only had one at the time). So any other gains we added have stayed in place. Charleston/extra Boston/extra Nashville/extra Cleveland/etc.
Did Southwest's direct to SNA go away? My wife was looking to book a flight later this spring and she couldn't find it. I don't remember reading anything about it being removed. :?:
Looks like there are several daily flights to SNA

The issue is the non-stop went way. It was due to the airport there took away a number of slots from Southwest. It had nothing to do with performance and would likely return if they can get some slots back.
yep - Southwest has literally abandoned operations at SNA. They dropped over 15 destinations there.
It wasn't an STL issue.
Article:
SWA GUTS SNA
http://travelupdate.boardingarea.com/so ... perations/
^southwest was forced out. It wasn't by choice.
An FYI, from my years working for TW:

A Nonstop Flight is a flight that flies from Point A to Point B with no stops.

A Direct Flight is a flight that flies from Point A to Point B with a stop (or 2 or 3...) along the way but no change of planes.

Important distinction because I currently show WN with a direct flight from STL to SNA with a stop in PHX and a direct flight from SNA to STL with a stop in SFO.

Just trying to clarify because I think the original question was about direct flights.
United adding service in Springfield, MO and Columbia, MO.

http://www.pointswithacrew.com/united-a ... ity-ohare/
Randy wrote:United adding service in Springfield, MO and Columbia, MO.

http://www.pointswithacrew.com/united-a ... ity-ohare/
In college I worked at the Columbia airport. Small but effective and easy to use. The flights at the time were twice a day to and from Chicago and Dallas.

They're expensive but usually pretty full. I can't imagine paying the $540 their asking for roundtrip to Denver. I'd rather pay MoX $40 and fly out of KC or STL for $200.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's a nice little airport. Shame it's United.
Hopefully the addition of more United regional flights means more support/justification for additional United national destinations down the road.
pdm_ad wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:17 am
An FYI, from my years working for TW:

A Nonstop Flight is a flight that flies from Point A to Point B with no stops.

A Direct Flight is a flight that flies from Point A to Point B with a stop (or 2 or 3...) along the way but no change of planes.

Important distinction because I currently show WN with a direct flight from STL to SNA with a stop in PHX and a direct flight from SNA to STL with a stop in SFO.

Just trying to clarify because I think the original question was about direct flights.
Thanks for the clarification. I did say "Direct Flight" in the original question but that was done out of ignorance I naively thought Nonstop = Direct. In other words, I attempting to ask for a Nonstop flight.
^Most people use nonstop/direct interchangeably unless they fly a lot. I doubt most people know there technically is a difference. I assumed that is what you meant by what you wrote.
23 page St. Louis Advertisement insert that ran in American Airlines magazine.

https://cbsstlouis.files.wordpress.com/ ... 7-scan.pdf
They put the wrong MLS stadium rendering!
The construction roundup was really lame.
I think it's a pretty good piece. I suppose it's really little more than a puff piece, but it's one from outside; from a company that could have an impact here. (A company that has had an impact, albeit a rather unpleasant one.) It would be nice if there were more current construction, but they did list a few high-profile pieces in planning and nearing completion. It's first and foremost a tourist brochure, so it's not too surprising that the development they talked about most was oriented towards tourists. The choice of MLS rendering might have as much to do with the date of when they started working on the thing as anything. Foundry got their rendering out first. (And it is an exciting drawing.) So maybe it's not perfect . . . but honestly, that's a pretty nice little piece. If that's in all their in flight mags next month that could help to tell a good story to a lot of folks on flights elsewhere.
I just noticed Delta runs 757s on some flights still. I didn't realize anyone had them for passenger service from here. Random comment but I just thought it was interesting. I thought everything from here was a 737ish size or smaller.

That said I guess some or the newer 737s seat the same amount or close to it these days. it looks like the 737-900 has the same amount of seats on delta.
jshank83 wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:02 pm
I just noticed Delta runs 757s on some flights still. I didn't realize anyone had them for passenger service from here. Random comment but I just thought it was interesting. I thought everything from here was a 737ish size or smaller.

That said I guess some or the newer 737s seat the same amount or close to it these days. it looks like the 737-900 has the same amount of seats on delta.
According to an industry data source called Diio that I have access to, other than sporadic DL scheduled service AA last operated scheduled service 11/2013 DFW-STL-DFW and MIA-STL-MIA. UA most recent was a once weekly ORD-STL-DEN (oneway) service in 02/2008.

DL will be keeping their 757s far longer than AA or UA. DL has a different capital asset acquisition startegy, although they're diversifying with some new OEM orders by and large at the end of the line on proven models (A321, 737-900ER, A330-300IGW). Fully paid for or in some cases capital leased aircraft give the operator flexibility to park them to draw down capacity while continuing to operate their newer, leased or aircraft they're still paying for.
Interesting article from the other day:

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... leigh.html

KC is calling itself the “'[The] top unserved market to London in the United States'” claiming that "KCI boasts an average of 300 passengers a day who fly transatlantic each way". I find it somewhat hard to believe that KC has more demand to London than cities such as Indy or Nashville.
Trololzilla wrote:Interesting article from the other day:

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... leigh.html

KC is calling itself the “'[The] top unserved market to London in the United States'” claiming that "KCI boasts an average of 300 passengers a day who fly transatlantic each way". I find it somewhat hard to believe that KC has more demand to London than cities such as Indy or Nashville.
That's outrageous and triggering. Kansas City currently does not have the customs capacity to handle aircraft larger than an A320. Also, St Louis I believe is around 500 people. Kansas City will receive an LHR flight after Columbus does. So many things wrong with KCI. I also don't even think their airside area can hold more than 250+ people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Alaska/Virgin just did a major expansion out of the Bay area. I was hoping we would add a flight (to SJC) but we aren't on the list. I guess 4 flights a day already is enough for us. They did add MCI, IND, MSY, BNA(Virgin), but those cities all only had 1 or 2 a day to the bay area and we have 4. I thought we might have a chance because they codeshare with AA.

for reference

https://newsroom.alaskaair.com/2017-03- ... e-Bay-Area