St. Louis Lambert Int. Airport [airline/hub/operations/info]

All the ways we move people and things: trains, planes, automobiles, biking, walking, etc.
First unread post3789 posts
jshank83 wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:43 am
symphonicpoet wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:40 am
And the restoration of the moving walkways warms my childlike heart. I've missed those things. I get sad every time I'm on one somewhere else. It will be really good to have our own back. :) (Silly, I know. But true. Those meant "big time" to me. They still do. An airport without them, like O'Hare, is really just small potatoes. Wait . . . )
For some reason I thought there were some in councourse C. Are they gone or just in the part that isn't open anymore? I haven't been in that concourse in at least 15 years. I still remember when I was little wanting to go to cinnabon in that food area right after security.
The moving walkways in C are past C24, which is the last "active" gate -- even though C28 is used. The moving walkway between C24 and C28 is currently disabled.

Greg
Exciting news! I always thought it foolish to tear down for a parking structure.

All this Lambert history has me wondering, did the airport ever have an observation deck?
Regarding the increased passenger count, this is good news. Keep up the good work Lambert.! :D

I also think this is a good indicator of St. Louis' hardy business climate.
RuskiSTL wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:18 pm
Exciting news! I always thought it foolish to tear down for a parking structure.

All this Lambert history has me wondering, did the airport ever have an observation deck?
They used to have a place you could park and watch flights off lindbergh. I think the airport has a deck at T1 on the top level. There is an outdoor area. I am not 100% on this though. Greg who comments on this might know better.
I swear the media watched this site. Good!

I was happy to provide the information here and happy to see the confirmation now with the KMOV segment. Now I am sure the other media will pick it up. The concourse will be great to have open again and expanded as the new E.

Absolutely yes on Southwest... they will immediately begin using the new E Concourse gates. Like I said before, I am willing to bet that Southwest will be booted more out of the international gates in the future. This being that they have to lose those gates now for arriving international flights Those planes remain parked there throughout passenger clearance and also the planes to be checked. Sometimes those gates can be unavailable for Southwest arriving/departures for a couple hours after an international arrival. I am also sure those "across the pond" flights will be here by summer.
RuskiSTL wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:18 pm

Will have to disagree. Yes opening up 4 D gates is an easy short term move to benefit of Southwest at little or no cost to either party. But you don't resolve anything in terms of Airport ingress/egress to Terminal 2 nor the undersize current parking garage let alone the baggage area.

But at some point it has been recognized that Concourse D will never be fully utilized so keeping it in place, limiting options to future projects and willingly embracing 30-40 year infrastructure as your future seems a like a poor long term. I really believe a long term vision should look at how you replace E gates/international gates & D gates being reopened with a design consistent or extension of Terminal 2 that offers the ability to additional baggage area, revamp security/customs as well as future short term/near terminal parking w the possibility of Consolidated rental facility.
dredger wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:17 pm

But at some point it has been recognized that Concourse D will never be fully utilized so keeping it in place, limiting options to future projects and willingly embracing 30-40 year infrastructure as your future seems a like a poor long term. I really believe a long term vision should look at how you replace E gates/international gates & D gates being reopened with a design consistent or extension of Terminal 2 that offers the ability to additional baggage area, revamp security/customs as well as future short term/near terminal parking w the possibility of Consolidated rental facility.

Most of the suggestions I see is tearing down concourse C and redoing D to make it all one long concourse, like how nextstl did theirs a few years ago. I guess if you would push it out to Terminal 2's offset from the road it would give you more room for baggage/parking. It seems like a big expense to just move a concourse a little bit though.

I agree the baggage area needs more room and it needs to be way faster. There is no reason it should take as long as it does to get your bags. Parking I haven't had an issue but I know sometimes it is full. They did add that extra lot really close.

I don't really know how you go about consolidating the rental facility unless you move everyone to the other side of 170 or something. I haven't been many places that it actually is consolidated. I usually have to alway get on a bus for the company I am renting from and ride it offsite to an individual rental car building. Would it be nice, yes, but I don't see it as much of an issue. I do like how Vegas has theirs.
jshank83 wrote:
dredger wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:17 pm

Most of the suggestions I see is tearing down concourse C and redoing D to make it all one long concourse, like how nextstl did theirs a few years ago. I guess if you would push it out to Terminal 2's offset from the road it would give you more room for baggage/parking. It seems like a big expense to just move a concourse a little bit though.

I agree the baggage area needs more room and it needs to be way faster. There is no reason it should take as long as it does to get your bags. Parking I haven't had an issue but I know sometimes it is full. They did add that extra lot really close.

I don't really know how you go about consolidating the rental facility unless you move everyone to the other side of 170 or something. I haven't been many places that it actually is consolidated. I usually have to alway get on a bus for the company I am renting from and ride it offsite to an individual rental car building. Would it be nice, yes, but I don't see it as much of an issue. I do like how Vegas has theirs.

I thought about what if C was gone recently, however that would displace American, Alaska, Frontier and a bunch of small commuter airlines, which I really don't know where they would go after that. Considering American would need at least 4-5 gates, Alaska 1, Frontier 2, and the smaller ones would need parking areas. I feel Lambert might actually have a minor capacity issue if we did that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I believe they're still in the end of C, but essentially in the closed part. I'm not even sure I was aware there was a tunnel between B and C, but I've been in B less than any of the others, save perhaps E.
symphonicpoet wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:41 am
I believe they're still in the end of C, but essentially in the closed part. I'm not even sure I was aware there was a tunnel between B and C, but I've been in B less than any of the others, save perhaps E.
I was talking abour ORD, as was someone else. No tunnel at STL.
ricke002 wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:53 pm
I was talking abour ORD, as was someone else. No tunnel at STL.
Ah, very good. Sorry about the confusion.
I now want a tunnel between B and C!
I wish Lambert would move the commuter planes to the B concourse.
With the he remodeling to gate E40 i was looking at the map to try to figure out how far they will actually remodel. Also does any one know what the grey outcropped building near what I presume are air conditioning vents in the elbow of the newly remodeled area?
STL-SEA wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:32 pm
With the he remodeling to gate E40 i was looking at the map to try to figure out how far they will actually remodel. Also does any one know what the grey outcropped building near what I presume are air conditioning vents in the elbow of the newly remodeled area?
This is about the gate location.
While I am VERY excited at concourse D opening up some more, I just wish that the STL airport would at least raise the ceilings everywhere. I think the very low hanging ceiling makes it seem more claustrophobic. I was recently in OKC airport and theirs is so tall it feels more roomier than it actually is. That's just my wishlist if our airport ever gets a full blown revamp.
That what i was figuring with where the gates were. but what is that buiding that seems tied to the D-Gates? does anyone know?
I wish Lambert would move the commuter planes to the B concourse.
Why? That is the original commuter plane concourse for TWA/TWE - but it needed a lot of work and is very small. It is better as a meeting space area.

AS FOR HIGHER CEILINGS:

All the concourses have the new ceilings that were raised with new lighting (see below).

AS FOR HIGHER CEILINGS:

All the concourses have the new ceilings that were raised with new lighting (see below).
Did you see those pictures of the revamp of the D concourse? It doesn't appear yet that they are doing anything to the ceiling there.

I'm saying make it even higher than it currently is now. Some airports appear like palaces, others appear cramped.
I don't see B ever being reopened to air traffic unless something crazy happens. I think smaller planes are fine where they are now. You can always move them wherever you need to move them to accommodate others.

I guess I never really noticed the low ceiling thought. Most of T2 has really high ceilings and that is where I am most of the time. In Concourse A, I never really thought about it. It seems like a lot of airport concourses have lower ceilings unless it is a newer airport. At least I have never been in an airport and thought whoa these ceilings are high/low unless they are multiple stories high and it is a really big space. Dublin, I thought had really low ceilings but that is the only one I remember because it felt like you were in a basement.
STL-SEA wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:32 pm
Here's a gate map showing the new E Gates:

-RBB
It is a shame we couldn't get this here.

Amazon plans 2,700 jobs, $1.5B investment at CVG
Jason Williams and Scott Wartman , Cincinnati 2:17 p.m. ET Jan. 31, 2017
010417_SOUTHWEST_CVG_19Buy Photo
(Photo: The Enquirer/Kareem Elgazzar)
Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport will become a worldwide air cargo hub for Amazon, state and airport officials said Tuesday.

The Seattle-based company plans to invest more than $1 billion into the operation and employ 2,700 workers at CVG. The news about Amazon's investment was part of special board meetings organized by the Kentucky Economic Development Finance Authority and the Kenton County Airport Board, which oversees the airport.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/money/2 ... /97283034/
real big miss there.....
whitherSTL wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:13 pm
real big miss there.....
Agree on first thought. However, my second thought tells me that Amazon had a predetermined list based on a number of factors and who knows if St Louis was even invited to pursue it. the other thought, which airport lost DHL when they dropped their US airborne fleet in favor of UPS providing such service? I believe it was in Ohio but wondering if somehow Amazon picked up some key people from that group. Just have a gut feeling the choice was more about the people who will run the Amazon hub then anything. Of course, no doubt Kentucky was given the ultimatum of we need these incentives or we go elsewhere.

Another big, huge development opportunity is Foxcom supposedly ready to invest $7billion in US for new flat screen industrial facility/complex with PA leading the way. I would say that decision is political as anything else for a state that helped POTUS get the WH and of course, the said POTUS claiming all the credit as he does with everything else