St. Louis Lambert Int. Airport [airline/hub/operations/info]

All the ways we move people and things: trains, planes, automobiles, biking, walking, etc.
First unread post5086 posts
SLC added in October from Southwest.
jshank83 wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:47 am
Any knowledge if Southwest is diverting connections to us from another location (Midway, for example) or if this is just an additional desitination for Salt Lake City?

Very happy to see an addition. I have not flown in a few months, one of my best friends did recently (the first time in years for him) and he was quick to text about how much busier T2 is now, and how long the concourse is now.
STLCityMike wrote:
jshank83 wrote:
Any knowledge if Southwest is diverting connections to us from another location (Midway, for example) or if this is just an additional desitination for Salt Lake City?

Very happy to see an addition. I have not flown in a few months, one of my best friends did recently (the first time in years for him) and he was quick to text about how much busier T2 is now, and how long the concourse is now.
They are moving connections from MDW to STL, I don't know if this is one or not. I think the DTW add was one though over summer.

Once they open the next bank of gates it will be half mile from E4 to E48. Long haul, but there are some other airports that are longer.
jshank83 wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:48 pm
Once they open the next bank of gates it will be half mile from E4 to E48. Long haul, but there are some other airports that are longer.
Any ideas as to when that will be? I assume it's a ways out.
The Mayor wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:36 pm
jshank83 wrote:
Any ideas as to when that will be? I assume it's a ways out.
I would guess Summer-ish 2020. They already have agreed to open 3 more, but no bids are out to do the improvements yet.
Ran thru the October WN schedule for STL.

Mon-fri 121 (one short of summer)
Sat 88
Sun 129 (most per day Southwest has ever had)
822 a week

Changes from Aug/Sept

Salt Lake +1 m-f
Cancun +1 Sun-Fri
Austin +1 Sat
Boston +1 Sat
Fort Lauderdale +1 Sat
Orlando +2 Sat
Columbus +1 Sun
Minny +1 Sun
Tampa +1 Sun
Philly -1 Sat +1 Sun
Pensacola -1 Sat (end of season)
Panama City -1 Sun

Changes YoY
Mon-Fri +6 (Cancun/SLC/CLE/DEN/DTW/Nashville)
Sat +4
Sun +16

Total +50 (6.5% gain)

Full spreadsheet. tab to far right
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
jshank83 wrote:
STLCityMike wrote:
jshank83 wrote:

They are moving connections from MDW to STL, I don't know if this is one or not. I think the DTW add was one though over summer.

Any thoughts on why WN moving connections from MDW? 1) MDW at capacity 2) MDW getting more expensive and STL enplanement cost on downward trend 3) MDW wx impacts more severe and therefore more costly over the winter months
^I have to assume both capacity and weather are factors. Midway has hovered between 250,000 and 300,000 aircraft operations for a decade now, actually falling in recent years. (They hit their peak more than a decade ago, believe it or not.) Their longest runway is a thousand feet shorter than our shortest. They have five runways, but only four are suitable for commercial aircraft of any size. Of those, only two can be used at any given time, since they intersect dead center, meaning functionally what they have is two closely spaced parallels. During IFR operations they've got to be a one runway airport, with that one runway being quite short. That means weather will hit them unusually hard. Southwest has got to be thinking they want to save their rather precious slots there for O&D. I can't speak to cost per emplanement. I don't really know of any reason it should be going up significantly there. But since it was so high here the fact that it's coming down doubtless helps. And hey, that cost was associated with an extra runway that means Lambert is only a one runway airport under the very rarest (yesterday's ridiculous wind) circumstances.
^I think symphonic has it right. Not really anymore room to grow there. Probably focusing on O&D now at MDW and moving connections to STL.
symphonicpoet wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:44 am
^I have to assume both capacity and weather are factors. Midway has hovered between 250,000 and 300,000 aircraft operations for a decade now, actually falling in recent years. (They hit their peak more than a decade ago, believe it or not.) Their longest runway is a thousand feet shorter than our shortest. They have five runways, but only four are suitable for commercial aircraft of any size. Of those, only two can be used at any given time, since they intersect dead center, meaning functionally what they have is two closely spaced parallels. During IFR operations they've got to be a one runway airport, with that one runway being quite short. That means weather will hit them unusually hard. Southwest has got to be thinking they want to save their rather precious slots there for O&D. I can't speak to cost per emplanement. I don't really know of any reason it should be going up significantly there. But since it was so high here the fact that it's coming down doubtless helps. And hey, that cost was associated with an extra runway that means Lambert is only a one runway airport under the very rarest (yesterday's ridiculous wind) circumstances.
Just thinking here - but Midway underwent some pretty expansive renovations a few years back. That my have driven up there landing fees? I certainly DON'T want that to happen here, but I also wonder if it would be worth it to expand the concourse to the east, add a few gates ahead of E2 / E4. It would really only help locals, and help center our entrance more rather than push down D. Connectors would have the same walk regardless.
STLCityMike wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:26 am
symphonicpoet wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:44 am
Just thinking here - but Midway underwent some pretty expansive renovations a few years back. That my have driven up there landing fees? I certainly DON'T want that to happen here, but I also wonder if it would be worth it to expand the concourse to the east, add a few gates ahead of E2 / E4. It would really only help locals, and help center our entrance more rather than push down D. Connectors would have the same walk regardless.
There is room to push east. Two to three gates. Tarmac would have to be built. Way less money to reopen whats there.