CWE Metrolink Platform Extension

All the ways we move people and things: trains, planes, automobiles, biking, walking, etc.
Ruh Roh...

"Metro Transit has delayed the opening of a new extended section of the platform at the Central West End MetroLink station after an inspection identified what the agency called "a potential issue."

Metro officials didn't elaborate.

The opening had been scheduled for last Friday. A new opening date has yet to be determined, a spokesman said."

https://www.stltoday.com/news/traffic/a ... the-latest
Hopefully Metro can get this figured out quick.

The sooner the disruptions of the Cortex station construction followed immediately by CWE platform extension construction can be over the better.
Does anyone know the full plan for the redo? This is my work stop, and it's pretty much busy at all hours of the work day.

For some reason, I was under the impression that the stopping points would shift so that the Eastbound/Westbound trains weren't potentially stopped at the same spot. All I can see is that the platform has been extended several feet to the east and they've added a couple of new benches, but that's it.

I certainly hope that the update will include something to alleviate the congestion at the bottom of the main steps.

Jeff
As far as I know, the only thing they were doing was extending the platform a bit to provide some more space. I'm not aware of any other plans or improvements.
Yeah, the trains will be using opposite ends of the platform, per Matthew Hibbard on reddit.
Since there is a high volume of riders at the Central West End MetroLink Station, we need to spread the crowd out a bit. We are limited in our space at this particular location, so we decided to extend the platform about 60 feet to the east. This change will create a shift in boarding at this station. Eastbound riders will use the eastern part of the platform (which will include the new extended portion) and westbound riders will use the western part of the platform.
^Perfect - thanks!

Wonder if a new covered structure will go in to help differentiate/divide up the crowd?

Jeff
jeffrk wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:20 pm
^Perfect - thanks!

Wonder if a new covered structure will go in to help differentiate/divide up the crowd?

Jeff
This one I can answer for sure. I had asked Metro on Facebook awhile back about the potential for a canopy that would match the Cortex station, which I think would be pretty nice, and their reply was that there are no plans to add any new or additional canopies. No money, kinda wish BJC would have sprung for that.
They seem oddly secretive about whatever the problem is. They didn't even bother responding to a follow up. But this vague answer makes it seem like it's a pretty major problem, if they're still figuring out the solution two weeks later.

From Metro's STLtoday chat.
An issue was revealed during the final inspections of the platform extension project, and Metro’s Engineering team is currently analyzing the cause and working with the project contractor to determine the best solution. Our goal is to get the extension and walkway opened as soon as possible, and we will keep everyone updated on the project’s progress.
The delay continues, and the secrecy continues to be really, really odd.
We do not have any additional details to provide at this time other than what was provided here: http://www.metrostlouis.org/news-releas ... postponed/
https://twitter.com/STLMetro/status/1102947262689234944
eee123 wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:25 pm
The delay continues, and the secrecy continues to be really, really odd.
We do not have any additional details to provide at this time other than what was provided here: http://www.metrostlouis.org/news-releas ... postponed/
https://twitter.com/STLMetro/status/1102947262689234944
Yes, it is rather odd...

I did notice that just the other day they installed hand rails on either side of the new ramp, so maybe that was the oops?
Too bad that after the successful rollout of the Cortex Station this CWE platform debacle has dented Metro's credibility. Someone - or multiple people - screwed up. They should admit it and move on.
Opens Monday
First day with the new extension at CWE. Some confusion especially with people still waiting closest to the stairs for the eastbound train but I expect people will get used to it in time. They really need to install a barrier on that or both sections where the train doesn't stop but people still walk by. It'll reduce confusion and make the platform a lot safer, what with people shuffling about especially during rush hour. I hope Metro budgeted money to do that.
Those steam pipes are just crying out to be shot by a really good fine-art photographer.
^They really are very cool. Too bad I'm a fairly-artless photographer. ;-)
framer wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:32 pm
Those steam pipes are just crying out to be shot by a really good fine-art photographer.
I love the blend of industrial- and urban-looking structures at that station! I've felt compelled to take photos on my phone but I'm no photographer. Yes, and in all weather and times of day!

I was out on the system taking photos for other transit stories I'm working on. Here's my attempt...
^Nice. Is that taken from a public area, or is it insiders-only? It would be great to be able to get down amongst all the pipes etc.
This photo was shot on the mezzanine (public area) near the stairwell leading unto the MetroLink platform.
Excellent! It really is a great subject.