St Louis Bike Share

All the ways we move people and things: trains, planes, automobiles, biking, walking, etc.
First unread post215 posts
The bikes have all but disappeared from downtown. Not counting the arch grounds, looks like the app shows about six bikes between Broadway and Jefferson.

As for the scooters, rider ignorance is the biggest problem. At least use the bell and slow down when overtaking pedestrians on the sidewalk, as is standard by cyclists on bike trails.
Why are the bike numbers down? As far the scooters, they are wonderful. It will change the way I commute around the city. I also agree people need to follow rules while on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Short article on SLPR in regards to why there are fewer bikes now and when they might be putting more in the streets: http://news.stlpublicradio.org/post/whe ... icycles-go. Not much more info than what dbInSouthCity found out:
dbInSouthCity wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:28 pm
moltingcicada wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:19 pm
Has anyone noticed that there are fewer bikes now since Lime scooter share arrived? I know the scooters are convenient and labor-free and all, but I prefer the bikes because they're cheaper and more intuitive to use.

I noticed when Lime scooters first came around, there were way more scooters than bikes, but after a week or two bikes went back to like 50% of Lime vehicles. Guess they're testing out the waters by responding to demand? And they also need to compete with Bird now too. I wonder if they'll end up pushing Bird out of the market like Ofo, though Ofo also left for other reasons.
I did notice and i asked Lime, they're down about 700 bikes from peak of about 1100 due to spare parts being stuck at various ports but in the next two weeks they should have about 750 more bikes/scooters out again
but hopefully this is a sign more are coming in the coming days.
Hacking electric scooters Every homeless person has like three scooters now. They take the brains out, the logos off and they literally hot wire it
https://melmagazine.com/inside-the-lawl ... 887e155b25
Looks like bike shares are diminishing in presence in other cities too, but scooters and e-bikes remain: https://usa.streetsblog.org/2018/10/10/ ... g-extinct/.
*Dockless bike shares are diminishing.
In contrast, docked bike share is still doing well, showing relatively strong year over year growth. In New York City, for example, the dock-based Citi Bike system remains popular and makes a profit, despite no public subsidies. But like many cities, New York, hit the pause button on its docked monopoly, offering pilot programs so officials could see which companies might emerge with a better system — or not (Boston was one notable exception).
We still need a real bikeshare, the municipally funded docked version, where you can be confident that a (working) bike will be in a specific place when you want to travel.
Was bike-sharing just a fad? Is it really over? Will scooters last any longer?

https://www.stltoday.com/business/local ... 0384f.html
Bike share is definitely not a fad but companies found a bigger mouse trap with scooters
The draw to dockless for Cities was that there was no need to spent money up front for stations. Down side is companies didn’t have any incentive to keep bikes when they found better revenue model. I have access to both Lime and Bird internal dashboard and the numbers for scooters are just way ahead of bikes for things like per vehicle per day use, total time on vehicle ect. We will have electric bikes here in the spring. Scooters are here to stay, both lime and bird will have 2000-2500 each in the city by spring
https://www.kmov.com/news/employees-lai ... f3609.html

It'll be interesting to see how the scooters fare in spring.
San Luis Native wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:59 am
https://www.kmov.com/news/employees-lai ... f3609.html

It'll be interesting to see how the scooters fare in spring.
That piece is way off- both lime and bird are running 500-700 scooters each right now.
dbInSouthCity wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:39 pm
I have access to both Lime and Bird internal dashboard and the numbers for scooters are just way ahead of bikes for things like per vehicle per day use, total time on vehicle ect.
Do you happen to know what the average trip distance is on scooters?

I always wonder about the scooters' long-term viability, as they all seem totally unmaintained and various levels of unsafe (I handled quite a few as a charger). Plus their lifespan can't be much with the abuse they take.

The companies have certainly figured out that nobody ever went broke overestimating the laziness of the American public.

Lime has certainly made it hard to support the bikeshare end of the biz. In addition to them being impossible to find, they raised the rates on bikes since the start, from $1 per 30 minutes to $1 per unlock plus 5 cents a minute.
eee123 wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:23 am
dbInSouthCity wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:39 pm
I have access to both Lime and Bird internal dashboard and the numbers for scooters are just way ahead of bikes for things like per vehicle per day use, total time on vehicle ect.
Do you happen to know what the average trip distance is on scooters?

I always wonder about the scooters' long-term viability, as they all seem totally unmaintained and various levels of unsafe (I handled quite a few as a charger). Plus their lifespan can't be much with the abuse they take.

The companies have certainly figured out that nobody ever went broke overestimating the laziness of the American public.

Lime has certainly made it hard to support the bikeshare end of the biz. In addition to them being impossible to find, they raised the rates on bikes since the start, from $1 per 30 minutes to $1 per unlock plus 5 cents a minute.
its about a mile per trip. there have been about 505,000 scooter trips since August 1.
Spending $2.50 to save 10 minutes or less vs. walking while also not burning any calories seems a waste to me.

But Lime's messaging that says, in effect, "you're saving the earth by relying on a battery rather than an internal combustion engine to move distances most in the world would walk" is really stupid.

But this is where we are with the green movement in the US.
I think there are good cases for lime scooters. Over the summer when it was 90+ I was planning on killing time at the history museum while my car was out of commission. It's a 25 min walk from the CWE or 10 min on a lime bike, roughly the same on a scooter. On a hot day the first 2 options didn't seem appealing. I forgot about the scooter option and took the train which cost $2.50 and took 25 minutes from door to door. I would have gladly taken a scooter. I was in Baltimore recently on a short stay and took a scooter so I can explore more neighborhoods in the given time.