City only gas tax

All the ways we move people and things: trains, planes, automobiles, biking, walking, etc.
Using 12.5 as an example. It can be 5 cents 10 or 7 or any amount.

What if,

The city puts in front of voters (need 2/3 majority to pass) a 12.5 cents gas tax hike (allowed under article IV section 30 (a)(3) of MO Constitution as long as "All funds collected shall be used solely for construction, reconstruction, maintenance, repair, policing, signing, lighting, and cleaning roads and streets and for the payment and interest on indebtedness incurred on account of road and street purposes"

with the ballot language a list of projects would come along (kinda like Amendment 7 list from 2014)

how much would it bring in? Dept of Revenue would have that answer but ill take a stab in the dark (this could be way off)

in state fiscal year 2017 (july 1 2016 to june 30th 2017) about 4,129,000,000 gallons of fuel were sold in Missouri. lets assume that its proportionate to population, so 5.2% of 4.129B gallon = 215,873,029 gallons sold in the City

215,873,029 x the new 12.5 cent gas tax = about $27,000,000 a year.

2 ways to spend that money.

1. Pay as you go- list of project is a 20 year $540M plan
2. Bond and do a 5 year $500M plan and pay it back over next 30 years
Interesting. Any glaring construction projects that this would be targeting? Can a gas tax be used for construction of any transportation systems, IE utilized for the N/S metrolink expansion? Or does it have to be car centric road construction?
This would probably lead to an IL/MO type situation where you see a bunch of gas stations pop up just on the other side of the city limits. I would also guess a fair amount gas stations just inside the city limits end up going out of business. So the number would be smaller. Not saying that should influence whether or not they do a tax like that but if you are paying 12 more cents a gallon there is going to be less gas bought in the city.

I don't think there is any way it passes though. A 1 or 2 cent tax might but 12 doesn't have a chance.
If i'm not mistaken. I think Missouri state law prohibits counties and cities from passing their own gas taxes
You’re mistaken. Foristell had it on ballot in 2015. Got 65%.

Here is Article IV section 30. See A 3

Apportionment of motor vehicle fuel tax--director of revenue responsible for apportionment--limitation on local fuel taxes--fuel taxes not part of total state revenues or expenses of state government.

Section 30(a).

1. A tax upon or measured by fuel used for propelling highway motor vehicles shall be levied and collected as provided by law. Any amount of the tax collected with respect to fuel not used for propelling highway motor vehicles shall be refunded by the state in the manner provided by law. The remaining net proceeds of the tax, after deducting actual costs of collection of the department of revenue (but after June 30, 2005, not more than three percent of the amount collected) and refunds for overpayments and erroneous payments of such tax as permitted by law, shall be apportioned and distributed between the counties, cities and the state highways and transportation commission as hereinafter provided and shall stand appropriated without legislative action for the following purposes:

(1) Ten percent of the remaining net proceeds shall be deposited in a special trust fund known as the "County Aid Road Trust Fund". In addition, beginning July 1, 1994, an additional five percent of the remaining net proceeds which is derived from the difference between the amount received from a tax rate equal to the tax rate in effect on March 31, 1992, and the tax rate in effect on and after July 1, 1994, shall also be deposited in the county aid road trust fund, and of such moneys generated by this additional five percent, five percent shall be apportioned and distributed solely to cities not within any county in this state. After such distribution to cities not within any county, the remaining proceeds in the county aid road trust fund shall be apportioned and distributed to the various counties of the state on the following basis: One-half on the ratio that the county road mileage of each county bears to the county road mileage of the entire state as determined by the last available report of the state highways and transportation commission and one-half on the ratio that the rural land valuation of each county bears to the rural land valuation of the entire state as determined by the last available report of the state tax commission, except that county road mileage in incorporated villages, towns or cities and the land valuation in incorporated villages, towns or cities shall be excluded in such determination, except that, if the assessed valuation of rural lands in any county is less than five million dollars, the county shall be treated as having an assessed valuation of five million dollars. The funds apportioned and distributed to each county shall be dedicated, used and expended by the county solely for the construction, reconstruction, maintenance and repairs of roads, bridges and highways, and subject to such other provisions and restrictions as provided by law. The moneys generated by the additional five percent of the remaining net proceeds which is derived from the difference between the amount received from a tax rate equal to the tax rate in effect on March 31, 1992, and the tax rate in effect on and after July 1, 1994, shall not be used or expended for equipment, machinery, salaries, fringe benefits or capital improvements, other than roads and bridges. In counties having the township form of county organization, the funds distributed to such counties shall be expended solely under the control and supervision of the county commission, and shall not be expended by the various townships located within such counties. "Rural land" as used in this section shall mean all land located within any county, except land in incorporated villages, towns, or cities.

(2) Fifteen percent of the remaining net proceeds shall be apportioned and distributed to the various incorporated cities, towns and villages within the state solely for construction, reconstruction, maintenance, repair, policing, signing, lighting and cleaning roads and streets and for the payment of principal and interest on indebtedness on account of road and street purposes, and the use thereof being subject to such other provisions and restrictions as provided by law. The amount apportioned and distributed to each city, town or village shall be based on the ratio that the population of the city, town or village bears to the population of all incorporated cities, towns or villages in the state having a like population, as shown by the last federal decennial census, provided that any city, town or village which had a motor fuel tax prior to the adoption of this section shall annually receive not less than an amount equal to the net revenue derived therefrom in the year 1960; and

(3) All the remaining net proceeds in excess of the distributions to counties, and to cities, towns and villages under this section shall be apportioned, distributed and deposited in the state road fund and shall be expended and used solely as provided in subsection 1 of section 30(b) of Article IV of this Constitution.

2. The director of revenue of the state shall make the apportionment, distribution and deposit of the funds monthly in the manner required hereby.

3. Except for taxes or licenses which may be imposed uniformly on all merchants or manufacturers based upon sales, or which uniformly apply ad valorem to the stocks of merchants or manufacturers, no political subdivision in this state shall collect any tax, excise, license or fee upon, measured by or with respect to the importation, receipt, manufacture, storage, transportation, sale or use, on or after the first day of the month next following the adoption of this section of fuel used for propelling motor vehicles, unless the tax, excise, license or fee is approved by a vote of the people of any city, town or village subsequent to the adoption of this section, by a two- thirds majority. All funds collected shall be used solely for construction, reconstruction, maintenance, repair, policing, signing, lighting, and cleaning roads and streets and for the payment and interest on indebtedness incurred on account of road and street purposes.

4. The net proceeds of fuel taxes apportioned, distributed and deposited under this section to the state road fund, counties, cities, towns and villages shall not be included within the definition of "total state revenues" in section 17 of article X of this constitution nor be considered as an "expense of state government" as that term is used in section 20 of article X of this constitution.
jshank83 wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:37 am
This would probably lead to an IL/MO type situation where you see a bunch of gas stations pop up just on the other side of the city limits. I would also guess a fair amount gas stations just inside the city limits end up going out of business. So the number would be smaller. Not saying that should influence whether or not they do a tax like that but if you are paying 12 more cents a gallon there is going to be less gas bought in the city.

I don't think there is any way it passes though. A 1 or 2 cent tax might but 12 doesn't have a chance.
i dont think it would be that bad at all. Gas prices change so much that's there are differences within the city right now by 10-12 cents.
newstl2020 wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:36 am
Interesting. Any glaring construction projects that this would be targeting? Can a gas tax be used for construction of any transportation systems, IE utilized for the N/S metrolink expansion? Or does it have to be car centric road construction?
almost all of the citys entire sidewalk system is not up to ADA standard. Bridges like Compton bridge have to wait for fed $ at EWG. Paving current roads.

as i posted in the first post here is the language for usage;
All funds collected shall be used solely for construction, reconstruction, maintenance, repair, policing, signing, lighting, and cleaning roads and streets and for the payment and interest on indebtedness incurred on account of road and street purposes.

Could there be some wiggle room there for transit thats on streets? maybe.
Just like the minimum wage increase, even if it did pass Greitens and the rest of the out-state legislators would roll it back/kill it.
I think it's a pretty great idea - wouldn't hurt to try, at least, and Illinois already has a pretty steep gas tax in comparison to ours.

^ This is a great map. I'm still dumbfounded on why MO statehouse doesn't bump up state gas tax by 4-5 cents. They would still be on par with Arkansas and Tennessee.
I won't try to suggest anyone else acts as I do, but I essentially never even look at the price of gas before I buy it. And when I make my many trips to and from central Illinois, I never worry about which side of the river I'm on when I decide to fill up. I just do what's convenient when I need gas.

I suspect I'm not a lone in that, and as such, I doubt a city only gas tax would be that consequential for gas stations in the city.
^I almost always look at prices on gas buddy before I fill up to see who has the lowest gas on my route. I won't go out of my way but I'll stop where ever is cheapest on it. Seeing that most of the people working in the city probably live in the county, I figure they would just fill up in the county if ONLY the city has the tax. I figured a lot more people looked at gas buddy, etc, but maybe I am alone on it.

I grew up on the Illinois side (which might be why I watch gas prices closer than others) and I know a lot of people back home that will wait to fill up if they are going to the Missouri side soon (or fill up while they are on the MO side even if they wouldn't have usually stopped for gas yet). I assume this is the reason there are 3 gas stations right across the river from Alton, with nothing else around them.
I also try to fill up at the cheapest place; I even have an app that compares all the prices around me and tells me the cheapest one (though it usually ends up being Costco by a fairly wide margin).
Not to say any of you are incorrect, since I don't think you are, but I don't really pay attention to the price all that closely. Even if the difference were twenty cents that would only amount to a dollar on a typical fill. It's not worth the time. I buy gas at the station which is usually reasonably priced and is most convenient to me. Honestly, I look for clean and pleasant before cheap. I don't even really bother to try to buy on Wednesday or Thursday even though I know prices usually go back up on Friday or Saturday. It's just not worth the effort to me. It's a dollar every couple of weeks. I might pay that much for chewing gum.

That said, sure, there would quickly be new stations just outside city limits if something like this were enacted. And older ones would end up shuttered near the boundary. I don't doubt sales would decline some. Meh. I'd probably vote for it.
dredger wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:21 pm
^ This is a great map. I'm still dumbfounded on why MO statehouse doesn't bump up state gas tax by 4-5 cents. They would still be on par with Arkansas and Tennessee.
Because then, obviously, everyone in MO would drive to OK to get their cheaper gas.
I try to buy gas as close to my home/neighborhood as possible, FWIW.
So wait, are people saying that if we raise the taxes in the city we might stop getting Lambert sized QTs EVERYWHERE in the city? Put it on the ballot TODAY. Call a special session. Anything to stop these damn things.
If we tried to put this on the ballot, Greitens and co. in Jeff City would make it retroactively impermissible. Anything to show us rioters in St. Louis our proper place.
Ebsy wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:37 pm
If we tried to put this on the ballot, Greitens and co. in Jeff City would make it retroactively impermissible. Anything to show us rioters in St. Louis our proper place.

They haven’t done it with the last 2 voter approved sales tax hikes.
dbInSouthCity wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:58 pm
Ebsy wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:37 pm

They haven’t done it with the last 2 voter approved sales tax hikes.
There has been talk of banning sales tax increases actually.
newstl2020 wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:38 pm
So wait, are people saying that if we raise the taxes in the city we might stop getting Lambert sized QTs EVERYWHERE in the city? Put it on the ballot TODAY. Call a special session. Anything to stop these damn things.
Nice! Well said!
I am very skeptical of the positive effects of any large change in taxes at the city-level only, given how small the city is/how easy it is to avoid taxes by simply driving a few miles out of it. I am all for raising gas taxes, which seem to be absurdly low in Missouri as someone else pointed out - even a significant increase (at the state level) would probably not have any effect on overall gas consumption and this would constitute precious extra revenue for the state government.
I say that this would make sense at the state level, or even perhaps at the MSA-level, but a significant change in taxes that is not coordinated with other regional jurisdictions would be the city shooting itself in the foot in my opinion. Sure, no one wants more gas stations in the city, but the fact is that they do provide sales tax revenue. If all gas stations move out of the city, that is revenue that will be lost, with no obvious alternative to replace it. It's not that the city govt has any type of comprehensive strategic plan to replace that lost revenue.
kipfilet wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:42 am

I say that this would make sense at the state level,
State level means city get $0 because a state level gas tax goes directly to MoDOT for state owned roads by default.
dbInSouthCity wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:54 am
kipfilet wrote:

I say that this would make sense at the state level,
State level means city get $0 because a state level gas tax goes directly to MoDOT for state owned roads by default.
I meant at the regional/MSA level, sorry.
kipfilet wrote:
I am very skeptical of the positive effects of any large change in taxes at the city-level only, given how small the city is/how easy it is to avoid taxes by simply driving a few miles out of it. I am all for raising gas taxes, which seem to be absurdly low in Missouri as someone else pointed out - even a significant increase (at the state level) would probably not have any effect on overall gas consumption and this would constitute precious extra revenue for the state government.
I say that this would make sense at the state level, or even perhaps at the MSA-level, but a significant change in taxes that is not coordinated with other regional jurisdictions would be the city shooting itself in the foot in my opinion. Sure, no one wants more gas stations in the city, but the fact is that they do provide sales tax revenue. If all gas stations move out of the city, that is revenue that will be lost, with no obvious alternative to replace it. It's not that the city govt has any type of comprehensive strategic plan to replace that lost revenue.

There are gas stations downtown who already charge 10-15 cents more a gallon then just a mile or two down the road. Increasing the gas tax just in the city wouldn't force gas stations to move out to the county. Gas stations are located for convenience and traffic. I fill up at the same gas station regardless of cost as off my exit.