St. Louis Lambert Int. Airport [airline/hub/operations/info]

All the ways we move people and things: trains, planes, automobiles, biking, walking, etc.
First unread post4059 posts
^ I left TW in 1998 and they had retired the 747 by that point and replaced it with the 757-200 for STL-HNL-STL. The 757 didn't have the range to go nonstop STL-HNL so it would stop at LAX and refuel. The HNL-STL route remained nonstop.

Did TW use different equipment (767) after that point which would have enabled nonstop STL-HNL again?
Forgot to mention, arrived at E38 today around 8:30a on WN TPA-STL and all the gates in the old D concourse were active and packed with people. I was surprised at how crowded it was and the people mover was getting lots of use.
A little off topic, but I was wondering if this potential merger between Bryan Cave and a London based firm could positively impact our chances for getting a flight to London?

http://www.stltoday.com/business/local/ ... e-breaking
stlcards311 wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:30 pm
A little off topic, but I was wondering if this potential merger between Bryan Cave and a London based firm could positively impact our chances for getting a flight to London?

http://www.stltoday.com/business/local/ ... e-breaking
I think it would definitley help.

However at this point given the fact that the Airport Commission has an additional $4.6 Million in additional incentives for attracting air service, which most of us believe will be used for TATL service, I believe a flight to London is definitely coming.
^ Consider the estimate was that less than half of that was likely needed to get a nonstop to London, that much likely is for a couple routes. The real hangup right now on this seems to be no planes available until end of summer to do it. But with this incentive it seems to be more a when not if.

Interesting to note that the governor is in the UK this week, not sure if this is one part of the trip.

Also saw in checking up possible flights on Southwest for travel noticed they show on map nonstop from here to Orange County again. had to look and it seems they are running it for Thanksgiving time. I know the reason it ended was a slot issue there, but wonder how they juggled that for that week. Does show that if they only got the slot available they would restart it.
Quite frankly, I think you are going to see both BA and Lufthansa entering the market fairly soon. Demand for London and Frankfurt is ascending with recent STL companies being acquired.
AllaboutSTL wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:36 pm
Quite frankly, I think you are going to see both BA and Lufthansa entering the market fairly soon. Demand for London and Frankfurt is ascending with recent STL companies being acquired.
I think it will be Condor before Lufthansa. That seems to be they way things go. BA and Condor follow each other into a market.
imperialmog wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:02 pm

Also saw in checking up possible flights on Southwest for travel noticed they show on map nonstop from here to Orange County again. had to look and it seems they are running it for Thanksgiving time. I know the reason it ended was a slot issue there, but wonder how they juggled that for that week. Does show that if they only got the slot available they would restart it.
Good catch! I think you meant Christmas not Thanksgiving though. I didn't see it on Thanksgiving but I see it during Christmas. Looks like STL is 5 days. MCI got added for 3 days.
AllaboutSTL wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:36 pm
Lufthansa will not be coming to STL anytime soon, unfortunately.
Also, not STL related, but the new KMCI terminal vote is in three weeks.

My bet is it fails narrowly. Many in KC do not support the new terminal idea.
I don't want this thread to be talking about MCI. However, I would not support the current one terminal design in KC being forced into a vote the way it is. There is so much corruption in that entire plan and the forces/facts behind it.
matguy70 wrote:I don't want this thread to be talking about MCI. However, I would not support the current one terminal design in KC being forced into a vote the way it is. There is so much corruption in that entire plan and the forces/facts behind it.
Understandable. Only reason I post it in here is because a good portion of the movement for a new terminal there is to get WN to move their large STL operation there-something WN has said they won’t do. I’ll move all MCI updates to the KC thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chalupas54 wrote:[
Understandable. Only reason I post it in here is because a good portion of the movement for a new terminal there is to get WN to move their large STL operation there-something WN has said they won’t do. I’ll move all MCI updates to the KC thread.
Do you have a link with more info on MCI trying to poach SWA operations from STL?
My wife and I were talking last night about Lambert. Terminal 2 is slammed, typically no parking, and crushed security lines in many times of the day. Shuttle busses running from the T1 lots to T2. Half of the D hallway is open again- why not open the whole hallway so you could park in T1, use C gate security and walk to E? It would be about the same walk from C security to the new "E" gates in the D concourse...
moorlander wrote:
Chalupas54 wrote:[
Do you have a link with more info on MCI trying to poach SWA operations from STL?
No specific article, but if you peruse the arguments presented on twitter, STL’s SWA growth is littered through out. It’s commonly phrased as “STL’s SWA flights were ‘ours’, but the facility at KCI is so bad they went to STL.” I have seen that exact phrase probably thirty times.

tztag wrote:My wife and I were talking last night about Lambert. Terminal 2 is slammed, typically no parking, and crushed security lines in many times of the day. Shuttle busses running from the T1 lots to T2. Half of the D hallway is open again- why not open the whole hallway so you could park in T1, use C gate security and walk to E? It would be about the same walk from C security to the new "E" gates in the D concourse...
That’s a good point, however I don’t see STL reopening the rest of D unless there are tenants to fill the reopened areas. I have heard that they are researching ways to lessen the security lines. I do agree- they are really bad.

To address parking- do STL hotels offer park and fly options? My parents would always use the Marriott..

Are security wait lines in T2 bad? I've experienced the lines practically out the door but they've moved "comparably" quickly compared to the waits I've had at many other airports. The last few times i've been they've had both T2 check points open which seems to be helping. Either way I hope to hear announcements in both security and baggage claim relief soon.

Congestion is a good problem to have. It puzzles to continually ready comments on social media about how bad our airport is , how dead it is, and how you can't fly anywhere. Makes one wonder if that person has been to Lambert in the last 5 years.
moorlander wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:07 pm
Are security wait lines in T2 bad? I've experienced the lines practically out the door but they've moved "comparably" quickly compared to the waits I've had at many other airports. The last few times i've been they've had both T2 check points open which seems to be helping. Either way I hope to hear announcements in both security and baggage claim relief soon.

Congestion is a good problem to have. It puzzles to continually ready comments on social media about how bad our airport is , how dead it is, and how you can't fly anywhere. Makes one wonder if that person has been to Lambert in the last 5 years.
Waits aren't horrible- they do a good job typically. Agree that the increased traffic is great for STL. I'm just surprised that we have the enviable position of a fully secured connected set of terminals and aren't using them...
I traveled to and from St. Louis on Southwest twice this past summer, returning to Philly once on Monday, July 31st and again on Sunday, August 13th. Same flight to Philly departing approx. 7:00PM. Based on information I saw here, I got to the airport 2 1/2 hours earlier than the departure time, expecting heavy crowds due to heavy summer travel and both Sunday and Monday being traditionally busy travel days. Both times the lines at security were nonexistent and once past security, the concourse was practically empty. Granted it filled up closer to my departure time, but neither the terminal nor security lines seemed overly taxed.

You want to see an unmanageable mob, try flying out of Philly on American using Terminal B/C security. Now that's exercise in futility.
I get there about an hour before my flight and rarely have issues. I am tsa pre but normally the normal security line isn't bad either. I don't travel in the morning often though. That is when I would guess it is the worst. I got back tonight at 6 and the concourse was pretty full. I didn't check security though. I think the concourse busy times go in waves. Sometimes it isn't very busy but during the banks it is pretty full.
I fly every week out of T2 in STL. It is all about times and days at security - as is any airport. Monday at 4:30 AM security lines are long in T2 - biz travelers mainly. T2 heavy security lines right daily right before lunch hour and drastically at rush hours into the evening. Saturday mornings are packed - vacay trav. and Saturday afternoons.

I fly to LAX weekly - the second busiest airport in North America / 7th busiest in world and it is all about timing there. You either breeze through or wait.

SO I never complain about breezing through. I have my TSA pre-check - it is always nice too.
I know we are trying to keep this as just STL but because this probably had a direct impact on us and is airport related, I am going to post it in here. Too bad they didn't stop him sooner. Maybe we would have gotten the flight instead.

Nashville Airport CEO fired.

- The board’s complaints about Wigington centered on accusations that he kept board members in the dark on big decisions.

- The $2.6 million in incentives for British Airways was a new revelation. Wigington’s contract required board approval for such large payments, according to the document spelling out reasons for termination.

- The incentives included marketing funds and waiving airline fees over the next two years for British Airways.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/2 ... 775928001/
SWA is developing a new app call 'heartbeat." It's purpose is to streamline wait times for passengers from terminal arrival to the gate. They are conducting the beta testing for the app in StL because Lambert is one of the few airports where SWA has their own terminal.
moorlander wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:30 pm
SWA is developing a new app call 'heartbeat." It's purpose is to streamline wait times for passengers from terminal arrival to the gate. They are conducting the beta testing for the app in StL because Lambert is one of the few airports where SWA has their own terminal.
Wow that is cool. Is there an article on it somewhere I can read? or is it just something you have heard about?