St. Louis Lambert Int. Airport [airline/hub/operations/info]

All the ways we move people and things: trains, planes, automobiles, biking, walking, etc.
First unread post4140 posts
Chalupas54 wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:34 pm
bwcrow1s wrote:Off topic slightly, but when do we think they will renovate the majority of Terminal 1? It just kinda looked tired and sad when I came back from Atlanta a couple months ago.
In what way? The airport recently underwent a massive renovation, mostly in T1. I think Terminal One looks really good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I should also clarify that I'm not talking about the Terminal itself where the ticketing counters are, so to speak (the cool mid century area), but mostly the walk to the security lines and on. The terminal itself is actually one of my favorite buildings in St. Louis. There were letters missing on walls/signs, just kind of half-assed cleaning, scuffs on walls, etc. They need an interior and interactive designer to go through and draw up some new plans. Though, I know coming from ATL is leaps and bounds above us, there's just nothing that would get me super excited about landing in STL with the airport right now.
bwcrow1s wrote:
Chalupas54 wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:34 pm
bwcrow1s wrote:Off topic slightly, but when do we think they will renovate the majority of Terminal 1? It just kinda looked tired and sad when I came back from Atlanta a couple months ago.
In what way? The airport recently underwent a massive renovation, mostly in T1. I think Terminal One looks really good.

I should also clarify that I'm not talking about the Terminal itself where the ticketing counters are, so to speak (the cool mid century area), but mostly the walk to the security lines and on. The terminal itself is actually one of my favorite buildings in St. Louis. There were letters missing on walls/signs, just kind of half-assed cleaning, scuffs on walls, etc. They need an interior and interactive designer to go through and draw up some new plans. Though, I know coming from ATL is leaps and bounds above us, there's just nothing that would get me super excited about landing in STL with the airport right now.
A good point. I think the post security product STL puts forward is very nice. I do agree, the walk from ticketing to the gates is lacking, but again most people don’t necessarily need to be wowed in that aspect. I’m actually typing this at John Glenn Columbus Intl right now, where there is a huge food court/shopping area pre security. I only used it today because my flight is delayed. Otherwise, most people don’t use it can’t buy anything because of TSA being right there. I do agree though that maybe some cool wall wraps of STL or more art projects could make those hallways really cool.

^ the baggage claim area and pre security downstairs in T1 could use a face lift. It just seems kind of dreary. Not really sure how to fix it though. It is too bad there aren't really any windows to brighten it up.
Over the last couple years I've noticed that the LED lights they installed during the renovations are rarely on whenever I fly. Am I just really unlucky or have they stopped using them?
August numbers finally out.

Up 7.7% for the month
Up 6.4% for the year.

Aircraft departures up 10.8% for the month.

Almost to 10 mil for the year already.

https://www.flystl.com/uploads/document ... 7_ATAS.pdf
Rhonda needs to run for Mayor one day. Her energy in one month exceeds our current mayor's energy over one year...
jshank83 wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:26 pm
August numbers finally out.

Up 7.7% for the month
Up 6.4% for the year.

Aircraft departures up 10.8% for the month.

Almost to 10 mil for the year already.

https://www.flystl.com/uploads/document ... 7_ATAS.pdf

pretty impressive considering this article I saw earlier:

Southwest Airlines traffic down, expected to get worse

Southwest Airlines Co. reported disappointing traffic numbers for September on a couple of key metrics.

Dallas-based Southwest’s (NYSE: LUV) revenue passenger miles, which measures air traffic, fell 4.5 percent year over year to 9.5 billion last month. Available seat miles, which measures capacity, decreased 1.6 percent to 11.61 billion.
The September 2017 load factor — the percentage of seats filled by passengers — was 81.7 percent, compared with 84.2 percent in September 2016.
Year-to-date, Southwest Airlines' figures look slightly better. Its number of enplaned passengers is up 3.8 percent to 117.2 million, compared with the same period in 2016.
https://www.bizjournals.com/stlouis/new ... o-get.html
September numbers would show the negative impacts from the hurricanes which could have an effect on local numbers to a lesser extent. And October on will have the effect of the big fleet retirement which will only recover late next spring. The fleet issue is likely why there isn't too much new flights this year here, that and to grow into the large number of adds last year. Their focus coming up ahead seems to be California, which here is actually coming out rather well from that next year with more service to there.

Its noteworthy having two years of strong growth which is hard to maintain for that long. And looking through number its not all connections driving growth, around half is local demand.
imperialmog wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:24 pm
September numbers would show the negative impacts from the hurricanes which could have an effect on local numbers to a lesser extent. And October on will have the effect of the big fleet retirement which will only recover late next spring. The fleet issue is likely why there isn't too much new flights this year here, that and to grow into the large number of adds last year. Their focus coming up ahead seems to be California, which here is actually coming out rather well from that next year with more service to there.

Its noteworthy having two years of strong growth which is hard to maintain for that long. And looking through number its not all connections driving growth, around half is local demand.
It is still up for the year which probably is what really matters. But I think the Hurricanes/fleet retirement will have their numbers down the rest of the year. Having a lower load factor is surprising. With canceled flights that number you would think would go up not down because they have to squeeze people on other flights.
jshank83 wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:31 am
^ the baggage claim area and pre security downstairs in T1 could use a face lift. It just seems kind of dreary. Not really sure how to fix it though. It is too bad there aren't really any windows to brighten it up.
The baggage claim areas and the pre-security areas in T1 *WERE* updated in the renovations since 2010. While not the most beautiful, the baggage area is much brighter than it was previously.
gregl wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:30 pm
jshank83 wrote:
The baggage claim areas and the pre-security areas in T1 *WERE* updated in the renovations since 2010. While not the most beautiful, the baggage area is much brighter than it was previously.
I was not aware they updated that area also. Thanks for the info!
jshank83 wrote:
gregl wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:30 pm
jshank83 wrote:
I was not aware they updated that area also. Thanks for the info!
They changed all the lighting, replaced the drop ceilings. I think all the circular business is new. It's really quite the improvement. Three or four years ago there was a world of plywood down there everywhere you turned. And I don't think the tornado really hit the basement. The floors still have the same quarter-sized slugs in grey rubber anti-slip mats they've had since I can remember. And the tubular railings and baggage carousels look the same. But I honestly expect it's all new quarters in grey rubber. Just the same style. Of course . . . the ceilings are still low. There's nothing helping that, really. Unless you want to bring in jacks and raise the terminal ten feet. That'd be . . . nice, actually. But probably not worth the price of admission. They've been trying to figure out how to make that basement feel taller and brighter since before TWA disappeared. (Requiescat in pacem aviatrix cor mea. Or something like that.) Anyway . . . I was really impressed by the changes. But I've been going out there since I was a little kid. Which is . . . kind of longer ago now than I want to admit.

And it's high time to get my ass past landside again.
The changes and upgrades were very much needed and have to agree a big improvement when Lambert was really really looking tired. Restoring the iconic Terminal 1 ticket space/roof was icing on the cake & still like going out of Terminal 1 over 2 for that reason along. In all it made a big difference but were also very much cosmetic in nature. Like any house, things will get used and worn in time. The carpet and ceiling tile will need to be replaced

My contention is Lambert's future is not the TWA hub status of yesterday even if with Southwest adding more connections. I think the future is the fundamental change to a single linear concourse allowing for consolidation of all airlines/gates via one terminal and new international gates that support a varied number of carriers. Mill204 summed it up better than I and put a graphic to it

Nor wouldn't be surprised if a private operator proposes as such because of the reduction in overall square footage in long term, new international gates as selling point but more importantly the ability to create space for more on site parking (significant revenue generator).

mill204 wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:10 am
gregl wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:19 pm
I honestly don't see what this buys us other than a possible single security checkpoint. The change in the number of gates is going to be insignificant based on the ones which will be lost and the "inside" gates near where B is today are going to be very undesirable due to long taxi times.

I cannot envision how this is worth the cost.
Think multiple international capable gates (up to 4) in a modern building capable of impressing the hell out of arriving visitors (something more spacious and grand than the the claustrophobic basement box that currently exists).

Think a single central concessions area that attracts more people than the scattered shops of today and therefore luring more and better food and retail options.

Don't forget that there's plenty of room to expand the concourse west, if necessary.

Southwest officially announced the addition of Hawaii flights today. They have not, however, identified where they'll be flying from.
jstriebel wrote:Southwest officially announced the addition of Hawaii flights today. They have not, however, identified where they'll be flying from.
Good news for the airline. As you said earlier jshank, it would be really cool if they routed a flight STL-CA-HI.

jstriebel wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:25 pm
Southwest officially announced the addition of Hawaii flights today. They have not, however, identified where they'll be flying from.
They said that flights would be from California only, to start.
Have they announced which airports in Hawaii they'll be serving?
moorlander wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:18 pm
Los Angeles Times is stating that service will be to Honolulu, Kona and Kauai.

At Beat of Hawaii, we continue to expect services to start with San Diego, Los Angeles, Oakland, Sacramento and San Jose.

http://beatofhawaii.com/southwest-hawai ... ne-update/
jshank83 wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:25 pm
moorlander wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:18 pm
Los Angeles Times is stating that service will be to Honolulu, Kona and Kauai.

At Beat of Hawaii, we continue to expect services to start with San Diego, Los Angeles, Oakland, Sacramento and San Jose.

http://beatofhawaii.com/southwest-hawai ... ne-update/
Dang, we're currently planning a trip to Maui next fall.
Guessing most likely time they formally start booking will be their next schedule extension. Interesting to see how its timed and how easy connections would be to/from here to these flights, or if any are same plane service. Wonder if them starting nonstop from here to Sacramento and San Jose next year is in any way related to this?
imperialmog wrote:Guessing most likely time they formally start booking will be their next schedule extension. Interesting to see how its timed and how easy connections would be to/from here to these flights, or if any are same plane service. Wonder if them starting nonstop from here to Sacramento and San Jose next year is in any way related to this?
We could see maybe an STL-SJC/SMF-HNL itinerary. However, that would be an EXTREMELY long crew day..especially on a 737.

Really makes one miss the days of flying non-stop to Hawaii.
moorlander wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:32 pm
But wasn't that for just a while during the TWA days?
imperialmog wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:48 pm
Guessing most likely time they formally start booking will be their next schedule extension. Interesting to see how its timed and how easy connections would be to/from here to these flights, or if any are same plane service. Wonder if them starting nonstop from here to Sacramento and San Jose next year is in any way related to this?
I don't think it will be the next extension. They said they won't start letting anyone book til 2018. Best case senerio is flights there start in fall, which would be a couple more extensions away.
dweebe wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:09 pm
moorlander wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:32 pm
But wasn't that for just a while during the TWA days?
TWA started STL-HNL in 1987. With a few exceptions, the service continued until AA dismantled the STL hub.