MidAmerica Airport (BLV)

All the ways we move people and things: trains, planes, automobiles, biking, walking, etc.
First unread post225 posts
Exactly. Even an entry level, unpaid college intern with basic web design skills could whip that site into shape quickly.
chaifetz10 wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:29 pm
Exactly. Even an entry level, unpaid college intern with basic web design skills could whip that site into shape quickly.
It's really not much different than flystl.com, quality wise.
bprop wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:41 pm
chaifetz10 wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:29 pm
It's really not much different than flystl.com, quality wise.
It just lacks a lot of things that I think an airport website should have. Recent news and updates, terminal map, flight status, accurate information in general (like their flight schedule that is wrong). As fast as they are growing they should have passenger statics showing.
Airheaded question for you wing nuts, would Spirit ever be a candidate to fly out of MidAmerica?
wabash wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:36 pm
Airheaded question for you wing nuts, would Spirit ever be a candidate to fly out of MidAmerica?
They do fly to some secondary airports although lately it seems like that has been changing. They were (and still are) flying to PIT's secondary airport but now opened up PIT and have moves some flights there instead. I am also not sure how the gate agreements at MidAmerica are set up. They only have 2 permenant gates. They just added a third moveable jetway (I don't know the technical term) because Allegiant will have 3 planes on the ground at times. I assume this loads from the ground? So Spirit, I guess would have to also get some of those if Allegiant has rights to the main jetways? I don't know if they are paying a regular gate fee or a per turn fee. Either way I am sure MidAmerica would make it work if they wanted to come. I think they would still look to Lambert though. Maybe the airport reopening gates would accommodate them.
jshank83 wrote:
wabash wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:36 pm
They do fly to some secondary airports although lately it seems like that has been changing. They were (and still are) flying to PIT's secondary airport but now opened up PIT and have moves some flights there instead. I am also not sure how the gate agreements at MidAmerica are set up. They only have 2 permenant gates. They just added a third moveable jetway (I don't know the technical term) because Allegiant will have 3 planes on the ground at times. I assume this loads from the ground? So Spirit, I guess would have to also get some of those if Allegiant has rights to the main jetways? I don't know if they are paying a regular gate fee or a per turn fee. Either way I am sure MidAmerica would make it work if they wanted to come. I think they would still look to Lambert though. Maybe the airport reopening gates would accommodate them.
Agreed, considering documents made public by the airport recently indicated that they had an airline looking to operate out of the A concourse,
either JetBlue or Spirit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
May numbers are out.

Up 75% for May over last May.

up 49.71% on the year.

Already more than 2015 numbers. It has been impressive how much they have grown the last couple years. They have as shot at 250,000 for the year.

Snapshot of things since Allegiant started their current service there.

2012..... 3,830
2013..... 25,550..... Increase 567.10%
2014..... 31,340..... Increase 18.47%
2015..... 62,730..... Increase 100.16%
2016..... 157,000..... Increase 151.77%
2017 .....72,891..... (Through May) Increase 49.71%
This may be a dumb question: Is St. Louis having two airports a good thing?

Let's say Mid-America reaches 500,000 passengers a year with an additional carrier (maybe Spirit or Frontier) joining Allegiant and some permanence and stability as an airport. Safe to say that's a net positive for the region?
jshank83 wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:03 pm
May numbers are out.

Up 75% for May over last May.

up 49.71% on the year.

Already more than 2015 numbers. It has been impressive how much they have grown the last couple years. They have as shot at 250,000 for the year.

Snapshot of things since Allegiant started their current service there.

2012..... 3,830
2013..... 25,550..... Increase 567.10%
2014..... 31,340..... Increase 18.47%
2015..... 62,730..... Increase 100.16%
2016..... 157,000..... Increase 151.77%
2017 .....72,891..... (Through May) Increase 49.71%
It seems Allegiant is finding a new market rather than stealing from Lambert. Wonder how big that market may be.
wabash wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:57 pm
This may be a dumb question: Is St. Louis having two airports a good thing?

Let's say Mid-America reaches 500,000 passengers a year with an additional carrier (maybe Spirit or Frontier) joining Allegiant and some permanence and stability as an airport. Safe to say that's a net positive for the region?
At 500k you gotta imagine they extend Metrolink and suddenly BLV becomes more realistic to over a million more people. Whether we wanna admit it or not, a large percentage of STL city/county can't afford multiple flights a year other than on ultra-low cost carriers. If BLV becomes a sort of budget/vacation hub and Lambert stays a traditional business airport I think that's a huge win for the region. More options, more people flying, more investment in the region.

It may not be best for Lambert but realistically it's never gonna be like the TWA days again anyway.
I would say it probably isn't the best for Lambert that Allegiant is at BLV instead of STL but I think it is probably better for the region. Like someone else mentioned, since Allegiant is an ULCC I think that has stimulated flights that wouldn't be bought otherwise. You could argue that Frontier would have picked up some of those people but I think Allegiant's situation at BLV is good for all parties. BLV probably shouldn't have been built but now that it is, it is best that it brings in some income.

I really doubt anyone else moves in there. Spirit is the only one I would give any kind of shot to but I think they will start at Lambert whenever they do start. If they do start at Lambert is will be interesting to we how that effects BLV.
jshank83 wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:59 am
I really doubt anyone else moves in there. Spirit is the only one I would give any kind of shot to but I think they will start at Lambert whenever they do start. If they do start at Lambert is will be interesting to we how that effects BLV.
Would Spirit want to deal with the high landing fees and costs at Lambert, though?

Although I suppose Frontier has, and they're pretty much identical companies (though I would probably still rank Frontier slightly ahead of Spirit).

In any case, any new carriers would be a welcome sight at either airport.
Trololzilla wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:38 am
jshank83 wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:59 am
Would Spirit want to deal with the high landing fees and costs at Lambert, though?

Although I suppose Frontier has, and they're pretty much identical companies (though I would probably still rank Frontier slightly ahead of Spirit).

In any case, any new carriers would be a welcome sight at either airport.
The only reason I say Lambert is because they don't run out of all the secondary airports like Allegiant does. They just started PIT in the last year after running out of their secondary airport (they now run out of both for now). They also run out of Buffalo's secondary. Everywhere else is the main airport except for some randoms like Atlantic City, which I don't count as a secondary to anywhere.

I also don't know how MidAmerica does their gates. I don't know if they are per turn or actually leased. I would expect per turn. If Spirit moved in they might have to have gates that board from ground level. All that said, I am sure the airport would find a way to make it work. They aren't really in a position to get picky.

I also rank Frontier above Spirit and Allegiant. Not really sure why, but they seem to have less complaints.
Outside of Spirit, any chance of Volaris or WestJet?
RuskiSTL wrote:Outside of Spirit, any chance of Volaris or WestJet?
There's no passenger customs facility. So no.

They really need to figure out a public transit solution. Even bus shuttles to/from the Metrolink terminal would really help them boost business.
chaifetz10 wrote:They really need to figure out a public transit solution. Even bus shuttles to/from the Metrolink terminal would really help them boost business.
That's an awesome idea. I would relay that to the airport.

Chalupas54 wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:26 pm
RuskiSTL wrote:Outside of Spirit, any chance of Volaris or WestJet?
There's no passenger customs facility. So no.

Westjet wouldn't need one. All the major airports in Canada are pre cleared. That said they have a codeshare agreement with Delta so I would think they would go into Lambert A concourse.
jshank83 wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:16 am
I also don't know how MidAmerica does their gates. I don't know if they are per turn or actually leased. I would expect per turn. If Spirit moved in they might have to have gates that board from ground level. All that said, I am sure the airport would find a way to make it work. They aren't really in a position to get picky.
I believe they are indeed common-use.

Did MidAmerica open with 4 gates originally? I could've sworn I read that somewhere recently...

Also in agreement that the MetroLink line should be extended all the way to MidAmerica's terminal - seems like a bit of a waste right now to not have the complete point-to-point connection between the two airports. It'd also give a good start for any potential SIUe MetroLink line (right after the Shiloh-Scott station). It's unfortunate that Illinois really doesn't have the budget for the foreseeable future.
Trololzilla wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:41 pm
jshank83 wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:16 am
I believe they are indeed common-use.

Did MidAmerica open with 4 gates originally? I could've sworn I read that somewhere recently...

Also in agreement that the MetroLink line should be extended all the way to MidAmerica's terminal - seems like a bit of a waste right now to not have the complete point-to-point connection between the two airports. It'd also give a good start for any potential SIUe MetroLink line (right after the Shiloh-Scott station). It's unfortunate that Illinois really doesn't have the budget for the foreseeable future.
I always thought there were supposed to be 4 also but I went back through satellite imagery to before it was built and were never more than 2 jetways. I haven't personally been there to see the inside. Wikipedia (assuming its correct) said it was built to start out with 2 upper level jetways and then lower level walk out gates for commuter planes. But it would be easily expandable. Maybe the lower level counted for the other 2? Right now they have two jetways and one walk out gate.

Maybe someone on here that has flown out of it knows better what it looks like inside.
June numbers are out.

104,751 passenger on the year so far

up 49% on the year.

over 31k for the month. Best month ever that I can find for the airport.
Having a real passenger airline as a tenant will do that for you. Glad to see it. :)
^^Wow. Impressive. Thanks for the details jshank.
Since the stats are out for June I thought I would post a few of Load Factors for the newer routes. If anyone has any others they want let me know and I will gladly post them.

May
Allegiant
BLV-MYR > 92.8%
MYR-BLV > 49.1% (I am sure they first flight was almost empty and they only had 2 flights in May)
BLV-FFL > 79.1%
FLL-BLV > 55.8%

June
Allegiant
BLV-MYR > 86.7%
MYR-BLV > 84.2%
BLV-FFL > 86.8%
FLL-BLV > 80.9%

Other Note: per my previous post the 31K+ they had just in June was pretty much even with the entire 2014 year for them.

2012 3,830
2013 25,550 Increase 567.10%
2014 31,340 Increase 18.47%
2015 62,730 Increase 100.16%
2016 157,000 Increase 151.77%
2017 104,751 (Through June) Increase 49%