Transportation Catch All thread

All the ways we move people and things: trains, planes, automobiles, biking, walking, etc.
dbInSouthCity
Life Member
Life Member

Re: Transportation Catch All thread

Unread post by dbInSouthCity » Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:40 am

symphonicpoet wrote:Life isn't fair. And weather can change fast. And you (and maybe MODoT) were looking at different weather reports than I recall. Seemed like it was expected to me. (I was getting reports of apocalypse from friends in CoMO rather before the system got here, as I recall. In more or less typical fashion.) But . . . hindsight is twenty twenty. And fair or not, they're in the big chair. Just saying there is a logical chain you can follow.

I think it said below freezing after 7pm around 1pm....i think at that point the thinking is the rush hour traffic will keep the pavement temp above freezing.....it was a coin flip on what to do- mobilize hundreds of trucks and other equipment to go out there at 3pm in the middle of rush hour or pray . :D
Last edited by dbInSouthCity on Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

vollum

Unread post by vollum » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:23 am

Yup. A coin flip, and you can't win them all

joelo

Unread post by joelo » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:35 am

Even if they guessed right it might not have mattered. As we saw with Saturday night when they were ready it was just as bad out there. I traveled Interstate 64 from Chesterfield mall to Kingshighway and lost count of how many accidents I saw. That was around 4pm

quincunx
Life Member
Life Member

Unread post by quincunx » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:46 pm

phpBB [media]

Randy

Unread post by Randy » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:04 pm

^ That footage from Seattle is amazing, but you're never going to get that quality of service here in St. Louis. Going to have to move to a real city, sadly.

dbInSouthCity
Life Member
Life Member

Unread post by dbInSouthCity » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:16 pm

^ I think we lack density for that kind of service.
Same reason NS will never get fully build other than a small spur to NGA

urban_dilettante
Totally Addicted
Totally Addicted

Unread post by urban_dilettante » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:33 pm

Randy wrote:^ That footage from Seattle is amazing, but you're never going to get that quality of service here in St. Louis. Going to have to move to a real city, sadly.

maybe not to that level, but we could do much much better if the state legislature and 90% of our metro population didn't think that transit = welfare. good ol' Mizzurah.
Last edited by urban_dilettante on Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

quincunx
Life Member
Life Member

Unread post by quincunx » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:39 pm

We used to. Seattle which has added 74k residents since 2015, 12.5% is at a density of 8,161/sq mi. St. Louis city would need 505k residents to match that. More to the story of course considering the whole metro area. We've spread out too much and a symptom is the quantity of transit.

STLrainbow

Unread post by STLrainbow » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:02 pm

Do we have any other routes besides the 70 doing 12 minute frequency?

quincunx
Life Member
Life Member

Unread post by quincunx » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:13 am

No

dredger
Life Member
Life Member

Unread post by dredger » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:21 am

Trying to understand the lead in paragraph on Merchant Bridge/Freighway in BJ's paywall article. Anything new on the bridge which I believe was built for two way rail traffic and significant more capacity but it is now down to single track/one train crossing at significantly reduced speed. If not mistaken, believe it is the alternate route across Mississippi for Amtrak.

http://www.bizjournals.com/stlouis/news ... hants.html

After the U.S. Senate confirmation this week of Elaine Chao as transportation secretary, the St. Louis Regional Freightway is closer to completing the replacement of the 127-year-old Merchants Bridge — a key step in transforming the St. Louis region into a premier freight hub, officials said.

moorlander
Life Member
Life Member

Transportation Catch All thread

Unread post by moorlander » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:41 am

^ current bridge allows for trains in 1 direction at a Max speed of 5mph. Train companies would pay for 75% of the project with a federal grant paying for the balance.

dredger
Life Member
Life Member

Unread post by dredger » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:09 pm

Thanks moorlander, I believe Merchant Bridge has been part of one grant application or another over the last several years. Believe it is owned by St Louis Terminal Railroad which in itself is owned by the Class 1 carriers (UP, BNSF, Norfolk, CSX, not sure about KCS) if not mistaken.

symphonicpoet

Unread post by symphonicpoet » Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:22 am

The present TRRA members are UP, BNSF, NS, CSX, and Canadian National (through their acquisition of the Illinois Central.) The shares aren't equal and are roughly proportional to who bought how many owners from when the TRRA membership was at its largest. (By the middle of the century there were a more than a dozen if I recall correctly: MoP, NYC's Big Four [CCC&StL], Pennsy, Wabash, NYC&StL, IC, B&O, L&N, GM&O, Frisco, MKT, CB&Q, and C&NW. There might have been one or two others I'm overlooking, and some owners had already been swallowed up by mergers even then, but it was basically the railroads serving St. Louis mid century minus IT.) KCS could possibly join, but their entry into the St. Louis market is pretty recent, and by way of acquiring trackage sold and resold a bunch of times where other railroads kept the voting rights. UP is the largest shareholder with the other folks being about equal. (Per Wikipedia exactly equal, but I'm not sure that's correct. Haven't checked the corporate structure lately. They say UP has three shares and everyone else one. That approximately jives with my memory, but I'm not a TRRA employee or a TRRA Historical and Technical Soc. member, so don't quote me on that.)

Anyway, my recollection from railroad connections is that the restriction is to one train at a time rather than one way running. It's been one train at a time for a good twenty years now, I think, though it's only recently that they've taken the south track out of service entirely. (And indeed demolished much of the western approach structure.) Given how much they've thinned out the rest of the system I'm not sure how much of a bottleneck three tracks across the river really presents. Some, probably. Especially when they're working on the MacArthur. (As they have been recently.) But maybe not terminally. (Hah. I kill me.)

All that said, yeah, it probably needs replacing. I'll be darned sad to see it go. I'm really quite fond of that bridge. But I don't see it as one that's likely to garner a lot of excitement for repurposing, and I doubt there's any good way to really stabilize it enough for continued railroad use. Honestly, even the MacArthur is probably nearing the end of its life expectancy, which might be why TRRA is so eager to get one replaced now. Make it less of a headache twenty or thirty years down the line.

chaifetz10

Unread post by chaifetz10 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:30 am

Apologies if this has already been answered, but is there any possibility that the old bridge could be repurposed for automobile use?

dredger
Life Member
Life Member

Unread post by dredger » Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:19 pm

Thanks Symphonicpoet for the lesson. Curious, does UP dispatch & own the MacArthur bridge outright? Want to say yes but know even less on that rail crossing.

symphonicpoet

Unread post by symphonicpoet » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:16 am

dredger wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:19 pm
Thanks Symphonicpoet for the lesson. Curious, does UP dispatch & own the MacArthur bridge outright? Want to say yes but know even less on that rail crossing.
No. TRRA owns and dispatches MacArthur. UP is the largest partner in TRRA, but they are still a minority partner. Just the biggest of five.

quincunx
Life Member
Life Member

Unread post by quincunx » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:40 pm

Missourian - As Missouri bridges and roads deteriorate, funding for repairs is nowhere in sight

http://www.columbiamissourian.com/news/ ... 9da1f.html

hebeters2

Unread post by hebeters2 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:11 am

Why Cities Are Demolishing Freeways
http://www.theamericanconservative.com/ ... -freeways/

San Luis Native

Unread post by San Luis Native » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:38 pm

A story on NPR's "All Things Considered" yesterday:

"In America's Heartland (Kansas City), A Power Company Leads Charge For Electric Cars"

A couple of quotes from the ~8 minute story:

"KCP&L asked utility regulators in Missouri and Kansas for permission to add a 2- to 3-cent monthly fee to customers' bills to help pay for the installation and maintenance of the charging stations. Missouri regulators have yet to rule. Kansas regulators said no. They said the utility failed to prove a need for such an extensive network of charging stations... Despite the Kansas ruling, KCP&L has moved forward with money from its investors. The company has built 850 of the 1,000 charging stations it has planned".

"The early returns from Kansas City are encouraging for electric cars, it has become one of the fastest growing markets for EVs in the country."

http://www.npr.org/sections/alltechcons ... ctric-cars
"Brownie, you're doing a heckuva job."

gary kreie
Life Member
Life Member

Unread post by gary kreie » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:35 pm

Percent of people who commute to work via public transportation, walking/bicycling, and work-from-home by zip code area.

ImageSTL_non_car_transportation_to_work by Gary Kreie, on Flickr
St.ay St.range St.louis