Near North St. Louis - Choice Neighborhoods

Discuss construction activity, major renovations, office projects, streetscape improvements, etc. in North City -- defined by the area north of Delmar Avenue.
Urban Strategies is utilizing granted and additional leveraged funds to coordinate an extensive neighborhood planning process with all critical stakeholders to create a comprehensive neighborhood transformation plan. The Near North Side Choice Transformation plan will address the physical housing, supportive services, and neighborhood revitalization needs of all neighborhood residents. The Near North Side Choice Transformation Plan will build on the existing stable and affordable housing platform McCormack Baron Salazar has created and will link to the innovative Northside Regeneration efforts.

A draft presentation of the Transformation Plan presented on March 31 can be viewed here:

http://static1.squarespace.com/static/5 ... tation.pdf
Why is "Reduce density" a safety priority for the neighborhood?
mill204 wrote:
Why is "Reduce density" a safety priority for the neighborhood?

I am with you. Density is always good. I did notice though that currently there are buildings that are acting as street barriers, enclosing the neighborhood and creating a 'prison'. I would support the demolitions that will help open the streets and #healthegrid :wink:
^ I generally agree with you but I don't think density is always good, especially when there is bad design involved.. for example, Pruitt-Igoe was a failure in part because it was too dense and designed poorly. Preservation Square also is designed poorly and as a you say it looks like opening the streets back up and having proper orientation of entrances are positives. And fortunately Neighborhood Choice requires 1:1 replacement for impacted units, so I'm pretty sure any shortage due to fewer new construction units falling short of demolished ones will be made up elsewhere in the study area.
I really like that McCormick Baron and Salazar is a part of this. They usually get things done. They find the money and make it happen; and it's not usually YEARS in the making, but fairly quick by St. Louis standards.

I also think this bodes well for continued efforts to solidify plans for the NGA site, plus it could shut down the naysayers who doubted any development would happen in lower North St. Louis as a result of the NGA's selection of the North St. Louis site.
Made the initial cut along with four other cities... a couple proposals are usually awarded every year so there is a good chance it will be funded. I think there will be some site visits by HUD to the finalists and awards announced in December.
STLrainbow wrote:
Made the initial cut along with four other cities... a couple proposals are usually awarded every year so there is a good chance it will be funded. I think there will be some site visits by HUD to the finalists and awards announced in December.

Have to assume that NGA decision to relocation to North City is helping matters. Probably also a stated commitment to rebuilt 22nd street interchange and street infrastructure around NGA will help also.
^ MoDOT Commission meeting in Sept had an agenda item about MoDOT conveying 30 acres of land at 22nd to the City
http://www.modot.org/about/commission/d ... Agenda.pdf
Will hear very soon; here is a good overview of what will happen if we get it...

St. Louis hopes final round of Obama-era grants further boosts north side
http://www.stltoday.com/business/local/ ... e317a.html

this is spot on...

One of the issues with Preservation Square and the area in general, Urban Strategies’ Shin said, is that a wall of warehouses separates it from downtown.

“The warehouse district is a huge physical and mental barrier,” Shin said.
I wish we could demo that crap (and relocate to more appropriate places)
HUD Secretary Castro has scheduled a news conference at St. Stanislaus for 12/12 at 10am. That would seem to bode well for the Choice Neighborhoods grant.
Fantastic to hear
Awesome news.
MattnSTL wrote:
HUD Secretary Castro has scheduled a news conference at St. Stanislaus for 12/12 at 10am. That would seem to bode well for the Choice Neighborhoods grant.

Very, very well!
Any news on this one? This still moving forward and if so anybody know when?
cardinalstl wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:15 am
Any news on this one? This still moving forward and if so anybody know when?
Bump