Pruitt-Igoe Redevelopment

Discuss construction activity, major renovations, office projects, streetscape improvements, etc. in North City -- defined by the area north of Delmar Avenue.
roger wyoming II
Life Member
Life Member

Unread post by roger wyoming II » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:48 pm

The P-I site is set to get a re-zoning to help ease redevelopment.

https://www.stlouis-mo.gov/government/d ... ning-3.pdf

The conceptual renderings prepared by Civitas look really good but who knows how realistic they are. However, what may come to the site is becoming a bit more clear.... the already-proposed urgent care and medical offices, office, retail and an extended-stay hotel. Apparently residential is out because of environmental concerns.
@STLRainbow

chaifetz10

Re: Pruitt-Igoe Redevelopment

Unread post by chaifetz10 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:41 pm

I'd give it less than 1% chance that the actual buildings look anything like this. IF it gets built, I think it'll be a strip mall or sea of parking set back from the roads. I have less faith in McKee than I do Cordish at this point.

quincunx
Life Member
Life Member

Unread post by quincunx » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:21 pm

Finally something. Not liking those setbacks.

StlToday - Developer’s vision for old Pruitt-Igoe site includes hospital and hotels
Northside Regeneration’s plans for the old Pruitt-Igoe site became public this week, including a $72 million complex of medical buildings, commercial and office space and two hotels.
http://news.stlpublicradio.org/post/dev ... s#stream/0

quincunx
Life Member
Life Member

Unread post by quincunx » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:24 pm

Maria Altman [email protected]
To be fair, I did get a look after the meeting. @achtung1200mkt @Housing202Ltd @PresReed @SLDevelCorp

quincunx
Life Member
Life Member

Unread post by quincunx » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:26 pm

Should put an actual street along the south side of the project. Extend O'Fallon Street from 20th to Jefferson.

CarexCurator

Unread post by CarexCurator » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:34 pm

Bet they build the low-rise within five years and never get to the stuff in the background. Who is the edu/medical partner on this?

Edifice, schmidifice, let's talk about maintenance

chriss752

Unread post by chriss752 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:24 pm

Will this project also include retail in it? Having Hotels and Hospitals seems like it would be boring for those people staying at those hotels.

ImprovSTL

Unread post by ImprovSTL » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:14 am

Is anyone worried about style of these big developments on the north side? They are so suburban. This along with the NGA. We have a chance to rebuild the Northside and it seems we aren't going to do it the right way.

chriss752

Unread post by chriss752 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:46 am

ImprovSTL wrote:Is anyone worried about style of these big developments on the north side? They are so suburban. This along with the NGA. We have a chance to rebuild the Northside and it seems we aren't going to do it the right way.
I guess developers don't want to go Urban. Maybe that's the key to bringing people back?

chriss752

Unread post by chriss752 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:24 pm

CarexCurator wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:34 pm
Bet they build the low-rise within five years and never get to the stuff in the background. Who is the edu/medical partner on this?

Probably BJC.

andrewarkills

Re: RE: Re: Pruitt-Igoe Redevelopment

Unread post by andrewarkills » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:15 pm

chriss752 wrote:
CarexCurator wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:34 pm

Probably BJC.
No, it is not BJC.

The guy's last name is Linehan. He has apparently been fired from a shock jock job for racist comments about Condoleeza Rice:
http://www.foxnews.com/story/2006/03/22 ... -rice.html

He has taught at Logan College (chiropractic school) here in town, and owns a medical school in Puerto Rico which no longer has an online presence that I can find. This is the only info I could find on it: http://www.camarapr.org/Pres-Izq/PRH-20 ... enihan.pdf

He has apparently also taught at/been a Dean of Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine in Harlem: https://www.touro.edu/news/press-releas ... raphic.php

I'm not a medical expert, but in a city where we have so many renowned medical organizations/possible partners for this venture, this seems fishy.

Chalupas54

Unread post by Chalupas54 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:27 pm

this project will not be happening

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

STLEnginerd

Unread post by STLEnginerd » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:17 pm

Chalupas54 wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:27 pm
I kind of hope it doesn't...

Beyond the fact that i don't think it will ever live up to its promise. My thinking is Pruitt Igoe as it sits right now is not hurting the city at all. Its dead space yes but its a large contiguous piece of dead space. If it was a lake or a mountain it would be equally un-impactful. What hurts the city is all the distributed dead space. Blocks with half the houses demolished and half those that remain boarded up.

The jobs argument is better but i think it would be much better to tie these developments into existing blocks. Downtown West and Car Square have plenty of unbuilt parcels on which several of these building could be constructed. Why open up 50 more acres of partially built land...?
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein

dredger
Life Member
Life Member

Unread post by dredger » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:47 pm

STLEnginerd wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:17 pm
Chalupas54 wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:27 pm
I kind of hope it doesn't...

Beyond the fact that i don't think it will ever live up to its promise. My thinking is Pruitt Igoe as it sits right now is not hurting the city at all. Its dead space yes but its a large contiguous piece of dead space. If it was a lake or a mountain it would be equally un-impactful. What hurts the city is all the distributed dead space. Blocks with half the houses demolished and half those that remain boarded up.

The jobs argument is better but i think it would be much better to tie these developments into existing blocks. Downtown West and Car Square have plenty of unbuilt parcels on which several of these building could be constructed. Why open up 50 more acres of partially built land...?
I think this brings up/sums up the two philosophies to address the reality of a city with less then half the population that infrastructure & built environment once supported. The hard reality it will take a significant increase in population growth and even then decades to get back to where St. Louis city was once at. So question of the day

Admit suburban development will happen for big swaths of North City for the most part or do you push density in some areas & city/public holds large swaths of undeveloped property with minimal maintenance in others?

City already owns a large amount of property/parcels but a lot of it fragmented. STlEnginerd brings up a good argument to leave Pruitt alone as a version of urban forest when their is plenty of space to develop Downtown West & Car Sqaure that will provide easy access to the new NGIA. Why go put in a new storm water pipe, sewer, pavement when their is plenty already that needs to be replaced.

chriss752

Unread post by chriss752 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:57 pm

dredger wrote:
Admit suburban development will happen for big swaths of North City for the most part or do you push density in some areas & city/public holds large swaths of undeveloped property with minimal maintenance in others?
I believe that that is how North St. Louis will be redeveloped. It will look more suburban because for some people, that is what they want. But Density will be pushed in some areas of the North Side. In this case, density will probably be found closer to the Central Corridor or near the North Riverfront.

dbInSouthCity
Life Member
Life Member

Unread post by dbInSouthCity » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:13 am

People in North City dont give a damn about urban design, when you go up there and talk to people that actually live there and not arm chair QB from south city, they just want something, anything and they want it now.

whitherSTL

Unread post by whitherSTL » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:21 am

^ No, no, but I want to sit behind my laptop and b**** about design!

chriss752

Unread post by chriss752 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:52 pm

Is there any better renderings for the site than those above?