Cherokee street retail development

Discuss construction activity, major renovations, office projects, streetscape improvements, etc. in South City -- defined by the area south of Interstate 44/55.
First unread post206 posts
I spent some time on Cherokee last night for the first time in several months; I was surprised at how much has changed down there.
framer wrote:
I spent some time on Cherokee last night for the first time in several months; I was surprised at how much has changed down there.

This is interesting do do - Go on street view and pick the earliest and compare it to the most recent. You can see Vallesana before the expansion, El Bronco before they moved etc. It's like a time lapse of progress. It would be awesome if someone could animate it.
Dang. The BJ is reporting that MELT is closed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The MELT closing story is sad, because they noted a lack of business and foot traffic on weeknights. The same can probably be said of most entertainment districts around town, but Cherokee needs to take note of this. I haven't heard anything in a while about new apartment buildings, significant numbers of rehabbed houses, etc. in the surrounding neighborhood. Has anyone? Seems like that is the key to fixing the weekday problem.
Sad to hear.
Having been to MELT four times, MELT may be their own reason for closing.
SouthCityJR wrote:
I haven't heard anything in a while about new apartment buildings, significant numbers of rehabbed houses, etc. in the surrounding neighborhood. Has anyone? Seems like that is the key to fixing the weekday problem.

Certainly there is some rehab and a bit of infill, etc. in the surrounding area but I agree that for the most part it lags hotter south city nabes.... now only if there were rapid transit down Jefferson.
Seems like there's a firebug roaming the Southside:

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/colu ... 1de88.html
^ seems like it's been going on for a while.
Firebug was hitting Benton Park a few years back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
there is rehab work going on at 2645 Cherokee - it is the 2 story building with the big marquee in front that has been the subject of murals and graffiti for years
Here's your chance to tour the underground lagering cellars at Earthbound Brewery:

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/earthbound ... 3647259860
Lots of reasons to feel good about Cherokee right now:
  • Earthbound is looking to relocate within the next couple months
  • Tacos and Ice Cream is opening soon just west of Propaganda
  • The unit east of Propaganda is being renovated
  • "The Juice" should be opening sometime this year at 2640 Cherokee
  • Space west of The Juice under renovation (with interesting storefront murals)
  • Artist Art Banquet Theater taking over the old "mural building".
  • St. Louis Curio Shoppe has moved into the SW corner of Texas and Cherokee
  • Former Blue Pearl is a turnkey operation for a new bar - might see something new there soon.
  • Renovation of former Salvation Army underway with completion of new restaurant likely within a year
  • Untitled Fine Art opened at 2920 Cherokee not too too long ago
  • The Palm Trees and Mariscos El Gato have been getting great reviews
There have been some big closures or canceled projects recently, but the momentum is in the right direction. Rehabs north and south of the Cherokee business district seem to be picking up steam as well. Maybe I'm overly optimistic, but Cherokee is doing its thing.
Catacombs in Rome? Nope; lagering cellar under Earthbound Brewery on Cherokee.

Lots more pics and info here:

https://www.stlmag.com/arts/history/ear ... -st-louis/
What a cool spot. God I hope they set up a cool tour. No craft brewery in this city does a decent brewery tour from what I've seen.
Looks like the beach is coming to the corner of Texas and Cherokee.

http://www.feastmagazine.com/the-feed/s ... b8fd4.html
Frankly Sausages food truck plans Cherokee Street restaurant

Additional Info

I've had some of the fare from their truck a while back and it was quite tasty.
The Blue Pearl at the west end of Cherokee Street has reopened as a Mexican-Thai fusion restaurant. This area is changing fast :D

https://www.riverfronttimes.com/foodblo ... kee-street
Parm Pasta and Sandwhich Co opening in the old Little Dipper spot. I love that little storefront
https://www.riverfronttimes.com/foodblo ... =hootsuite
I've been to Cherokee St. 3 times in the last 12 months. Last January, mid summer, and then again last night. I was first there 3-4 years ago.

The transformation that has occurred in the last 12 months in incredible. To see a neighborhood transform so quickly truly filled me with optimism last night. And it appears that the latino community that started this rebirth has not been pushed out (i hope it stays that way).

Also, Jefferson south of 44 looked better than I have ever seen it. Great mix of new bars, but still the old grit that I love about StL. And though the design isn't the best the save alot and gym at Jeffsron and Lafayetta not only was busy, but darn near lit up Jefferson from Chouteau to 44. All the light from this really makes an area that once looked dingy and uninviting very appealing.
^ That's great to hear. Haven't been in a long time, but constantly hear good things in recent years.
Along with The Grove it's the most exciting area within City limits in terms of retail development. We love biking to Cherokee and spending our weekend afternoons there!
Seems like the western end by Gravois, which is more residential in character and was somewhat forlorn, is seeing some steady rehabs. Anyway, it's about 1.3 miles from end to end. A magnificent mile indeed.
STLrainbow wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:47 pm
Seems like the western end by Gravois, which is more residential in character and was somewhat forlorn, is seeing some steady rehabs. Anyway, it's about 1.3 miles from end to end. A magnificent mile indeed.
They need to extend the pedestrian-scale lighting all the way to Gravois. The cobra head street lights are only good for illuminating the tops of the trees; it gets really dark on the west end of Cherokee at night...

-RBB
rbb wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:12 pm
STLrainbow wrote:
They need to extend the pedestrian-scale lighting all the way to Gravois. The cobra head street lights are only good for illuminating the tops of the trees; it gets really dark on the west end of Cherokee at night...

-RBB
I could say that for too many neighborhoods in STL. Streets are illuminated but sidewalks are pitch black. A little unnerving, especially trotting around a couple blocks off of Cherokee proper at night.
bwcrow1s wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:14 pm
rbb wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:12 pm
STLrainbow wrote:

-RBB
I could say that for too many neighborhoods in STL. Streets are illuminated but sidewalks are pitch black. A little unnerving, especially trotting around a couple blocks off of Cherokee proper at night.
Completely agree. I feel Cherokee is the perfect example of this, though. Drive the length of it from east to west after dark and the difference between, the section between Indiana and Nebraska compared with the rest of the street is quite literally like night and day.

-RBB