Church of Scientology rehabbing building in L-Square..

Discuss construction activity, major renovations, office projects, streetscape improvements, etc. in South City -- defined by the area south of Interstate 44/55.
Isn't this the building that was most recently Gateway Christian School?
shadrach wrote:
Isn't this the building that was most recently Gateway Christian School?


I think so. So one cult moves out and another moves in. The Circle of Life.
I don't agree with the church of Scientology's beliefs, but I'm glad the building is being rehabbed.
Great News! I drive by this building all the time, so glad to see it will be put to use.
This building is starting to see some major investment. New stairs were completely rebuilt along Lafayette. The former car wash building is now gone. Glad to see movement on this important corner in Lafayette Square.
Mark Groth wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:35 am
This building is starting to see some major investment. New stairs were completely rebuilt along Lafayette. The former car wash building is now gone. Glad to see movement on this important corner in Lafayette Square.
Is there a plan for that lot at all? Do the Scientologists own it?
Mark Groth wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:35 am
This building is starting to see some major investment. New stairs were completely rebuilt along Lafayette. The former car wash building is now gone. Glad to see movement on this important corner in Lafayette Square.
about time. I noticed a lift on site when I drove by the other day and wondered if something was going on.
The L in L Ron Hubbard stands for Lafayette. Coincidence? :shock:
ImprovSTL wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:14 am
Mark Groth wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:35 am
This building is starting to see some major investment. New stairs were completely rebuilt along Lafayette. The former car wash building is now gone. Glad to see movement on this important corner in Lafayette Square.
Is there a plan for that lot at all? Do the Scientologists own it?
Yes, per Geo St. Louis the Church of Scientology owns the surface lot on the corner.
And now there are a row of trees planted in the empty lot where the car wash used to be. Odd. My guess is parking lot.
Mark Groth wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:31 am
And now there are a row of trees planted in the empty lot where the car wash used to be. Odd. My guess is parking lot.
Between this and the Mosque in McKinley Heights putting a parking lot on Jefferson, I really feel like there is not forward vision for the Metrolink going down this corridor.
I have heard from someone in the neighborhood that they are simply doing updates to the outside of the building to avoid getting fined by the city. They will be fixing the outside, including putting windows in place of the boards and doing other minor cosmetic updates. There are no plans to update the inside or use the building.
MRNHS wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:31 pm
I have heard from someone in the neighborhood that they are simply doing updates to the outside of the building to avoid getting fined by the city. They will be fixing the outside, including putting windows in place of the boards and doing other minor cosmetic updates. There are no plans to update the inside or use the building.
Not that I'd put it past the Co$ to lie, but

http://scientologymissouri.org/expansion/
bprop wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:07 pm
MRNHS wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:31 pm
I have heard from someone in the neighborhood that they are simply doing updates to the outside of the building to avoid getting fined by the city. They will be fixing the outside, including putting windows in place of the boards and doing other minor cosmetic updates. There are no plans to update the inside or use the building.
Not that I'd put it past the Co$ to lie, but

http://scientologymissouri.org/expansion/
Interesting. Thanks for sharing.
There was a back-hoe moving around over there as i drove by today...
MRNHS wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:02 pm
bprop wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:07 pm
MRNHS wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:31 pm
I have heard from someone in the neighborhood that they are simply doing updates to the outside of the building to avoid getting fined by the city. They will be fixing the outside, including putting windows in place of the boards and doing other minor cosmetic updates. There are no plans to update the inside or use the building.
Not that I'd put it past the Co$ to lie, but

http://scientologymissouri.org/expansion/
Interesting. Thanks for sharing.
Interesting, very surprising that these same fines aren't scaring any other property owners that just let their buildings rot.