Macklind Business District

Discuss construction activity, major renovations, office projects, streetscape improvements, etc. in South City -- defined by the area south of Interstate 44/55.
Macklind Avenue businesses take lead in promoting street

Shawn Clubb

Of the Suburban Journals

Southwest City Journal

09/13/2006

Macklind Avenue business owners got straight to work after a meeting last year on fostering development of business corridors in the 16th ward.

While the ward's main arteries, Hampton Avenue and Chippewa Street, are higher profile and enjoy higher traffic counts, it was Macklind Avenue that benefited first from the meeting. The main business strip along Macklind runs from Devonshire Avenue to Neosho Street.

Alderman Donna Baringer, D-16th ward, said it was the Macklind business owners who ran with the idea after the meeting.

"The businesses on that street know what their needs are," Baringer said. "They evaluated what, as business owners, was important to get done first and what will enhance their area."

Article

Nice to see some activity here. But, sorry, it'll never become an "arts district". And trying to be like The Loop? Come on! These people need to be realistic.

Murdoch Perk is open...and it is fabulous!

I agree, I tried out Murdoch Perk Thursday night and it was very good. I had the Chipotle Turkey sandwich and it was great. The service was very attentive. I would highly recommend anyone in the area check it out. The Macklind Deli around the corner opens later this month too.

I stopped in The Mackind Deli yesterday, and I noticed they've got a HUGE selection of microbrews and imports. I mean, it takes up a whole wall! (I didn't even know they sold beer) They've got some wines available, too.

...Also, I noticed some kind of art & antique shop is getting ready to open across the street from the Deli.

if only the krekeler bros had upgraded their grocery like they did their beer selection they wouldnt have had to shut it down. manzo*s around the corner has better sandwiches btw and their frozen ravioli might be the tastiest great deal in town. the perk is a great addition but they need hire someone who can cook. the light and fluffy quiche was most decidedly neither.

This strip is definately picking up. Another building (at Devonshire, I think) is getting a gut-rehab. And the Antique shop is now open at Nottingham.

Framer wrote:
This strip is definately picking up. Another building (at Devonshire, I think) is getting a gut-rehab. And the Antique shop is now open at Nottingham.

You mean this one?

Yep. Any idea what's going in there?

A construction company (starts with an "R" I think) moved in a while ago and I think they are just now getting around to renovating their offices.

Unfortunately, they added Home Depot doors to the front which do not compliment the architecture of the building, but it looks like they are going to try and recreate the rest of the facade....we'll see how it turns out....

Another gut-rehab has started. Northwest corner of Macklind and Itaska. This area is really gaining momentum.

It is great that this comdemned building is being brought back to life. However, I wonder how it ever became condemned in such a fine neighborhood. I think the same thing about the building on the southeast corner of macklind and eichelberger.

ntbpo wrote:
It is great that this comdemned building is being brought back to life. However, I wonder how it ever became condemned in such a fine neighborhood. I think the same thing about the building on the southeast corner of macklind and eichelberger.

There are a lot of no-good absentee landlords who do not have the city's/neighborhood's best interests in mind.

DeBaliviere wrote:
ntbpo wrote:

There are a lot of no-good absentee landlords who do not have the city's/neighborhood's best interests in mind.

*coughcoughBohemianHillcoughcough*

ntbpo wrote:

I think you mean Brannon and Eichelberger? I've wondered that myself. It's been like that for a few years now. Doesn't make sense to me.

stellar wrote:
Framer wrote:

You mean this one?

Updates:

ImageImageImage

Anyone know what's going in there?

Don't like those second floor windows, but it looks great otherwise.

Drove down this stretch of Macklind the other day to check out my brother-in-law's uncles place (Macklind Deli). Pretty cool area!

But to suggest that this could be "like the Delmar Loop" is a stretch.

Commercial districts like this and the emerging one on Morganford just south of Arsenal are great little walkable hubs for these neighborhoods.

they may not bring as much regional interest as South Grand or the Loop but love em for what they can reasonably expect to be.

DeBaliviere wrote:
Don't like those second floor windows, but it looks great otherwise.

True - definitely not the correct windows. I'm guessing that this isn't an historic preservation area (or whatever the correct designation is).

Macklind continues to improve. Big River Running (specialty shoe store) opened a couple of months ago at Devonshire, and now a four-family flat at Lansdowne is getting a much-needed gut rehab (although I don't for the life of me see how they can justify the name "Mackind Avenue Lofts").

Macklind Days Street Festival - 5/16

Link
From the Southampton Neighborhood Association Facebook page:

Regarding the space being worked on across from The Mack, and from our President:

The group wanting to do an Irish Pub concept pulled out about 3 weeks ago, so the owners were going to do something similar, but have since decided to go with American food. It could look like brick oven pizza, higher end burgers (suggested by one of our Yahoo Group users and favorably received by the owners), etc. We’re encouraging them to differentiate themselves from the Mack menu.

The building and décor will still be old-world but fresh. Tim Carbery, one of the owners who will now be managing the business attended the SNA board meeting Monday to present the business plan which is being developed. The business name being considered is “SoHa Public House.” An owner/manager will be living upstairs in the apartment and plans to move in soon. Patio and sidewalks will be redone and a sound diminishing wall/fence will be built east of the patio. Patio hours would be limited to 9 or 10pm, similar to Russell’s, Grapeseed, and the Mack.

The SNA board and alderman provided suggestions which were well received by Tim, and expressed various concerns which were discussed in detail, mainly, a magnification of issues immediate neighbors already face such as tight parking, trash, intoxicated pedestrians and drivers, loud conversation and various disturbances. The SNA board and the Aldermen are expressly aware of and concerned about these issues as are the owners. We are working to find a healthy balance between the commercial and residential areas in Southampton. We’re also working with the Streets Dept. to paint designated parking areas in the Macklind Business District to encourage parking on Macklind and slow traffic. I’ll provide updates as they become available.

Tim plans to be walking through the neighborhood knocking on doors to explain the business plan, get to know immediate neighbors, and address any questions or concerns. As for the liquor license, that is a black and white issue. If 51% of signatures do not support the license it will fail. If it does pass, we are able to work with the Excise Commissioner to place conditions such as patio hours, and behavior and property upkeep expectations which if violated would result in revocation of the license.

Here is a rendering of the building but it is NOT final.
Not final rendering: