Pelican Place 2232-56 S, Grand

Discuss construction activity, major renovations, office projects, streetscape improvements, etc. in South City -- defined by the area south of Interstate 44/55.
Proposal to demolish the YMCA building to construct a 3 story commercial building on South Grand.

http://stlouis.missouri.org/citygov/pla ... SGrand.pdf

Wow, looks great! And they'll get rid of that ghastly 1/2 story addition to the Pelican.

Looks like a great project. Nice to see that the neighborhood association and individual property owners are on board in a rare display of non-NIMBYism.

Looks good. It will really tighten up the streetscape on this section of Grand.

Maybe this could jump start the retail north of Tower Grove Park?

This is great for completing the street wall which encourages people to walk by its stores and offices.

This will continue to improve the economics of South Grand.

Nice looking development, and glad to see the Pelican building rehab is part of the project. It's too bad the YMCA building is setup the way it is - it's not ugly, but just not wisely using the space there on S. Grand.

This really excites me since I recently purchased a house just blocks from this development.

Yes this stretch of S Grand will be looking good with the completion of this project and the Compton Gate Condos.

:hyper:

Looks great!

Maybe this will create enough interest to tear down the abandoned gas station by St. Louis Supermarket!

shadrach wrote:
Looks great!

Maybe this will create enough interest to tear down the abandoned gas station by St. Louis Supermarket!

Or tear down St. Louis Supermarket!

DeBaliviere wrote:
shadrach wrote:
Looks great!

Or tear down St. Louis Supermarket!

:lol:

I like it.

shadrach wrote:
Looks great!

I always assumed that there was either some sort of brownfield or speculator issue with that location. This development and the Compton Gate Condos should prove that the property along that strip is in fact valuable. :hyper: <--Excited!

Does anyone know who owns the vacant gas station? It's such an eyesore and is one of the first things you see coming off the highway.

southcity wrote:
Does anyone know who owns the vacant gas station? It's such an eyesore and is one of the first things you see coming off the highway.

If you're talking about the small gas station across from the St. Louis Supermarket grocery store on South Grand, I know after it served its purpose as a gas station it operated as a dry cleaners place until around 2000. I know sometime between 2000-2004 it closed because I know it has been vacant for a couple years at least.

Gas Station? You mean the BP on the north side of 44?

I was talking about stlmizzoutiger was refering to; the one that was a dry cleaners.

All the others are eyesores as well and wouldn't mind it they disappeared as well.

Regarding the BP south of 44, that sits on one of the highest points on Grand. An 8 story building would offer awesome views both of Clayton and DT. That stretch (44 to SLU new biomed building) should be packed full of high rises!

^That sure is the truth. I wonder if this has dawned on any developers yet?

I remember Bryan Burwell talking about how Grand was far from grand when he first moved to St. Louis, and he spoke of the potential of that great street. I think you all have the right idea.

*Interesting side note before I comment further: that gas station has a bit of a history in my family. My uncle was finishing his residency, or was in the infancy of his practice when he lived on Victor, just off of Grand, with my aunt and cousin. One night, my aunt couldn't find my cousin (who was always a mischief maker as a child), who had wandered out of their house, down two flights of steps, and down a block to that gas station where the attendant kept the child and called police, they eventually located my aunt and uncle who were looking all over the neighborhood and talking to neighbors trying to find their son. Needless to say, everything turned out fine. And my cousin is now 31 years old, and married. So that was almost 30 years ago. A much different time in the city.*

Now, comments about the actual topic at hand...

I love this development. As a resident of the South Grand area, I've longed for the business development to extend further north of Arsenal and further south of Gravois. Where's Jennifer Florida? She needs to see how real business development, for the benefit of the neighborhood, is achieved.

Pretty awsome! Nice to see larger-scaled projects such as this are still being proposed. We've got to maintain this momentum.

Board OKs demolition of former YMCA

Jim Merkel

Of the Suburban Journals

South City Journal

09/06/2006

The wrecking ball soon will be coming to the shuttered old Georgian Revival style South Side YMCA building, following action last week by the St, Louis Preservation Board.

The board gave preliminary approval for First and Main Properties LLC to demolish the South Side YMCA building at 2232 South Grand Boulevard and construct a three-story commercial building on the site. The building was built in 1935 and has been empty since the YMCA moved out in 2000 for a new building, the South City Family YMCA at 3150 Sublette Ave.

At the same time, the board gave its approval for the company to rehabilitate the Pelican Building, an adjoining city landmark at 2256 South Grand.

Article

This is really fast and good news since it will add to the streets changing dynamic, the first road in Chicago that comes to mind similar to South Grand is Montrose near the brown line station. I hope South Grand infill develops similarily.

However, if this street's economic demographic shoots like a rocket I think Steve Patterson's coveted modern urban streetcar may become a realistic possibility beyond being 5,000 less people of its own light rail/subway rail now. Engineering wise, good luck. Maybe the Gravois/South Grand area could be built up again since it has the best TOD potential.

Brief article on this project in the Business Journal - nothing new. Sounds like everything is still on track.
Anybody have something to add? any updates? I live on Shenandoah right there and have not noticed any movement. The Compton Gate development is really looking nice though. Adds such nice density. I wish someone would burn down that Jack in the Box next time though. What an eyesore and impediment to meaningful development.

the Jumbo Jack is the best value in fast food.