MOFO Mixed Use at Morganford and Connecticut

Discuss construction activity, major renovations, office projects, streetscape improvements, etc. in South City -- defined by the area south of Interstate 44/55.
Construction costs are at a All Time High. Land prices are too. So don’t expect much new construction mixed use in near future outside the high rent districts of Clayton and CWE/CORTEX. Simple economics. Can’t get the rent from retail and apartment tenants to justify the projects even with City granted tax abatement and other incentives. Even Clayton and CWE are thin deals. Plus, leasing retail space in St Louis with limited parking is always a struggle.

As for the cheaper materials comment. It’s the same issue. The budgeted development costs compared to actual development costs were likely coming in a lot higher than expected so they had to make up for it somewhere.

Unfortunate reality right now.
^ curious if you have any data on year-to-year increase in construction costs... e.g. how it compares now to say a year or two ago. And average rents for new construction units.
The retail space looks great all lit up. The exterior sidewalk lights are also a treat. They should be along the whole length of the Morgan Ford facade. The clouds also make a cool effect.

PHOTO DATA
Camera: Canon EOS Rebel T5
Aperture: F/22
Time: 30 Seconds
Taken just past midnight tonight

Without the cloud effect, not as neat, but still shows you the nighttime street-level look.
Two large address signs have been placed on the roofline. It looks odd, to say the least (to go further, I wasn't expecting them to be on the roof and that big). They will light up.

Morgan Ford and Connecticut

Morgan Ford and Juniata

Also, I still want that 7/11 to go. It's an eyesore. I would think that a single floor retail building would do well at that location.
The signage looks solid when lit up. Will be easier to find for sure.

The sidewalk has reopened today. I didn't get a picture of it, although you can see it in the third photo, some rust has already appeared on the section closest to the main entrance. I guess this will be a common thing as the aging process of the Corten Panels goes on.

Looks like they are still waiting for this section to dry up.

Retail space. Expansive and makes me wonder who will fill it.
The more I think about it, the more I think those panels are just dumb. If I lived in that building, I'd be annoyed that the view from my balcony was obstructed by a big chunk of metal.
framer wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:43 pm
The more I think about it, the more I think those panels are just dumb. If I lived in that building, I'd be annoyed that the view from my balcony was obstructed by a big chunk of metal.
I agree.
Lobby Rendering vs nearly finished version. Looks great. When the lights are on, it really makes the Connecticut sidewalk light up. A true higher and better use for this corner than that crap ass carwash.

This just highlights the need for the removal of the 7-Eleven. I hope it happens in the near future. However I would be for it moving into the retail space of the new building.
^ I've seen the future of Morgan Ford and it's 7-11 moving into the new 3172 building, the 7-11 parcel being redeveloped with Imo's moving in to the ground floor, and the Imo's parcel being redeveloped with a Pharaoh's Donuts and Gioia's Deli shop moving in the ground floor. All by 2022!

More seriously, it looks like there indeed may be interest in redevelopment of the 7-11 as a recent change in building ownership appears to have a connection to multi-famiky development. I guess we'll see.
STLrainbow wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:02 am
^ I've seen the future of Morgan Ford and it's 7-11 moving into the new 3172 building, the 7-11 parcel being redeveloped with Imo's moving in to the ground floor, and the Imo's parcel being redeveloped with a Pharaoh's Donuts and Gioia's Deli shop moving in the ground floor. All by 2022!

More seriously, it looks like there indeed may be interest in redevelopment of the 7-11 as a recent change in building ownership appears to have a connection to multi-famiky development. I guess we'll see.
Correct me if I'm wrong but this has to be wishful thinking. I would love it if it came true though.

As for the 7/11 being bought, I sure hope it is redeveloped now. The NIMBYs went berserk when I brought up my hope of the redevelopment happening on the neighborhood facebook group. I searched the address and the two names given on the City;s website and it comes up as two guys who work at CBRE but the address is a PO Box at the Newport Beach California Post Office. I guess we will see what happens.
^ I'm not sure if the 7-11 property group is entire an change in ownership and think CBRE may have just been brought on to the existing group; but even that fact along with one of those guys specializing in multi-family caught my attention.

And yes, the other stuff was just a fancy.
I do know that the MOFO group is partially based out of CA, and that group's had heavy interest in that lot before, but the price was high when they first asked.

It does say the sale date is 12/19/2018 (link below). I thought the previous owner was a long time owner so???

https://www.stlouis-mo.gov/data/address ... ess-search
chriss752 wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:23 pm
Also, I still want that 7/11 to go. It's an eyesore. I would think that a single floor retail building would do well at that location.
What makes you think that? MoFo is adding 6,500 sq.ft. of brand new retail space and hasn't announced any tenants yet and there are empty and underutilized storefronts all up and down MorganFord. I don't see the demand for an additional 5,000+ sq.ft. of retail.

If it's the podium for additional multi-family housing, similar to MoFo, to appease the neighborhood and keep it in line with the norms of this portion of the retail strip, then I think that makes more sense. Even then, maybe just having corner retail instead of along the whole strip - as the 3201 MorganFord proposal has - still seems adequate/appropriate.
wabash wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:35 pm
chriss752 wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:23 pm
What makes you think that? MoFo is adding 6,500 sq.ft. of brand new retail space and hasn't announced any tenants yet and there are empty and underutilized storefronts all up and down MorganFord. I don't see the demand for an additional 5,000+ sq.ft. of retail.

If it's the podium for additional multi-family housing, similar to MoFo, to appease the neighborhood and keep it in line with the norms of this portion of the retail strip, then I think that makes more sense. Even then, maybe just having corner retail instead of along the whole strip - as the 3201 MorganFord proposal has - still seems adequate/appropriate.
It could be built like a podium to where residential can be built on top. Plus, I said that because I wasn't sure if AHM wanted their new building blocked by another if it ever came to that. It was just a loony idea that I had to rid Morgan Ford of the 7/11. A corner retail space would be nice. The rest could be used for residential amenities or something else that people come up with.
Anybody know what the apartment rental rates are? Are they even leasing? I can't find anything online.
Two model units have been set up. Both are on the third floor. The first is at the corner of Connecticut and Morgan Ford and is a two bedroom unit. The other unit is a one bedroom on the 7-11 side.