Hampton Village

Discuss construction activity, major renovations, office projects, streetscape improvements, etc. in South City -- defined by the area south of Interstate 44/55.
Will post some pics from the 1930s of It. But first. Noticed that the Chinese place next to club fitness closed (right of CF) and the clothing store on the left of CF closed. Soooo is CF expanding?

The Chinese place was my go to for Chinese but I spend about 450 hours a year at that CF and it's cracking at the seams
to paraphrase Keanu Reeves "I used to eat there. Really good tempura."
Will post some pics from the 1930s of It. But first. Noticed that the Chinese place next to club fitness closed (right of CF) and the clothing store on the left of CF closed. Soooo is CF expanding?

The Chinese place was my go to for Chinese but I spend about 450 hours a year at that CF and it's cracking at the seams

Do you mean Emporer's Wok?
maybe 50s-60s but that main building was there when it was built in 1939
I believe this is from the late 30's- early 40s... No idea that JCP has been there since the beginning.
pat wrote:

Do you mean Emporer's Wok?

Yes.
dbInSouthCity wrote:

I first started working out at Club Fitness about 5 or 6 years ago. The crowd has grown considerably. I'd welcome some expansion. I try to go workout between 5:30am-7am now because it seems to be the least crowded time, though there is still a wait for some equipment. Maybe if they expand they can splurge a little on a second water fountain...or more signs promoting putting the free weights back on the racks.
I remember when the current cardio room wasn't part of CF and everything was jammed in that first room.
dbInSouthCity wrote:
I remember when the current cardio room wasn't part of CF and everything was jammed in that first room.

Me too. It still wasn't as crowded/busy as it seems to be today.
Its a mad house in there from 4-8pm nightly in Jan-Feb and mid march...then the new years resolutionist quit. :) after that its fine most of the year
In my personal opinion, you're better off driving the 7-10 minutes to go to the Affton location. Much more space, better equipment, and a cleaner location. I used to live on Pernod and hated the Hampton Village location.
Wednesday at the board of adjustment, Desco had a hearing to build a commercial building at Hampton village. I was off this week so idk what they’re planning but I’m guessing it’s on the western side (closer to Hampton)
^Or perhaps in place of the former Penny's?