Pelican Place 2232-56 S, Grand

Discuss construction activity, major renovations, office projects, streetscape improvements, etc. in South City -- defined by the area south of Interstate 44/55.
I hope they release a new rendering
ssmith wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:44 pm
A few changes: red brick veneer vs. concrete panels. Also increasing parking from 115-122 to 130 spaces.
F*CKING NIMBYS... F*CK.
Updates from NextSTL, including design tweeks:

https://nextstl.com/2017/12/compton-hil ... g-forward/

http://www.stltoday.com/business/column ... op-story-2
Demolition of the old YMCA on South Grand Boulevard is expected to begin this winter as Altus Properties starts construction on a new 124-unit apartment building.

The $19 million project slated for the 2200 block of South Grand Boulevard, now home to the vacant community center, is expected to be complete in the second quarter of 2019. A construction permit for the five-story building was filed with St. Louis this month. 
Vintage photo stolen from Facebook:

I've been wondering about the progress on this rehab lately. I am TOTALLY blanking on the word for it, but they had the framing along the south side of the building for a long time, but I couldn't note any progress. Eventually, though, I think I saw someone working on it, and then recently I noticed that the framing moved to the west side of the building.

So although I can't see it, it seems likely things are indeed happening. Even with a business I'm unlikely to frequent, I'm really excited to see this one happen.
^ And don't forget the residential units up top.

Working on the weekend...

Scaffolding :wink:

I noticed the same. And although they moved the scaffolding from the south side...that side still looks pretty rough. When I drive by at night, there are always lights on inside and it looks some some framing taking place.

Are apartments planned for the upper floors?
^^ ah thanks, just missed your post.
rheights wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:07 am
Scaffolding :wink:
Fence was going up around the full site yesterday and abatement in the YMCA is underway. Spirtas is also mobilizing equipment for the full demolition, and Holland Construction has a couple office trailers on site.
Permit issued

MBR SOUTH GRAND PROPERTY LLC Building 12/04/2017 03/01/2018 MULTI FAMILY $18,600,000.00 CONSTRUCT MULTI FAMILY BUILDING PER PLANS
As of yesterday the Y is coming down.
^It was fully half gone this afternoon when I drove past. The back wall of the pool is there, and a little of the north wall. The south wall is almost entirely gone. (I think there might be one, or maybe two roof trusses still in the very back.) There's still a little to the north of the pool area where there's some roof and almost three complete walls. But I think the walls facing Grand are entirely gone site wide. It's a dollhouse now. Sort of. Half a dollhouse. Sorry to see it go, but that site needs redevelopment.
symphonicpoet wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:58 pm
^It was fully half gone
In my day, we just called that "half gone"
ricke002 wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:24 am
symphonicpoet wrote:
^It was fully half gone
I like to think it's still "half there".
ricke002 wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:24 am
symphonicpoet wrote:
^It was fully half gone
Heh! I gather you're not overfond of the darker shades of purple in your prosodic explorations? ;-)
I'd say it's now well more than half gone.

The rear wall to the pool area is gone now, and things beside it. I think they must have worked the site today, as I'd have sworn there was still structure visible that had been exposed by removing the last of the pool area this morning, but this afternoon . . .

Don't blink.

Sorry to see it go. It was a neat old structure. I just hope the new one lives up to its potential. (I believe it might this time.) Glad to see the Pelican getting the proper treatment.