6300 Clayton Avenue - New Dogtown Apartment complex

Renovations and new construction in the Central Corridor -- defined by the area south of Delmar Avenue and North of Interstate 44/55.
Ah that's thats disappointing news but thanks for clarifying!
ward24 wrote:
Nope, nothing happening. Cars are gone because they never had an occupancy permit for auto storage and that's not a permitted use in this zoning category. The contractor trucks are Katsinas Contracting, who is one of two ownership partners there. Their business office is across the street. Its back to square one basically - its essentially for sale, the price is too high, one acre, Zoned F. Sadly it may stay as is for a while because of the price, but one never knows. Its certainly potentially a great opportunity and location.

Scott Ogilvie
24th Ward Alderman

Did you ever hear why Honda of Frontenac was storing cars in Dogtown?

I feel bad for Dogtown. The horrible Lehman building and this empty lot have really sucked the life out of the area.
Reason for the high price is because the current owners waaaaaay overpaid for the site
Nope, nothing happening. Cars are gone because they never had an occupancy permit for auto storage and that's not a permitted use in this zoning category. The contractor trucks are Katsinas Contracting, who is one of two ownership partners there. Their business office is across the street. Its back to square one basically - its essentially for sale, the price is too high, one acre, Zoned F. Sadly it may stay as is for a while because of the price, but one never knows. Its certainly potentially a great opportunity and location.

Scott Ogilvie
24th Ward Alderman

Is there something you could push through to get the owners to clean up the lot? It is quite an eyesore for Dogtown and that specific area. Every time I walk by, it angers me to think what could have been, but also what it is now. It reminds me of the mess that was at the Ballpark Village site for so long, but worse because it is in the middle of the busiest part of Dogtown.
I really believe once work on the hospital/zoo site is gearing up, we'll begin to see more investment in the vacant buildings (at least they appear to be vacant) on Clayton just East of Tamm. I think there's demand for a few more restaurants in the area, especially with a closer zoo population. I always get depressed walking/driving by the lumber yard & the buildings across the street.
It looks like someone is trying to build an apartment complex here again. I know previous ones fell through. We will see what happens with this one. They are having a community meeting about it.

That is fantastic news! Everything about this project sounds great, though we do not know what it will look like quite yet. If I recall about the last project that fell through, the brothers that were developing the project proposed something similar in spec to this but with less parking, the NIMBYs were mad, but ultimately it was approved (but never built). Hopefully this gets neighborhood approval. That is a prime spot to make the neighborhood more walkable and dense.
Sounds like a step up from the earlier proposal. One hundred market-rate apartments and 123 underground parking spaces, plus retail!
Looks like developer wants tax abatement. I wonder how that plays out in the current political climate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Couldn't grab the picture, thought I'd save you a click

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I just moved out of dogtown but I loved it there, this would be really good for that spot. The rendering doesn't even make it look like what dogtown looks like though, but I like it. I am still in the dogtown Facebook group and it seems to be getting more positive comments than negative. I think the extra parking will make a difference. I also think the demographics are changing younger there, so people will be more receptive to it. I also am not sure the old proposal had retail included.
I hope it will be a great addition to the neighborhood!

Let's hope the NIMBYs don't ruin it again!
That actually looks pretty good.
The mix of units seems really wrong. It's almost all 1bd, with a handful of 2bd, and then.....nothing else? Even as a single, 2bd was necessary to have living space, and a work/storage/setup/guest space. 1bd is usually on the order of 600-700fsf, 2bd is usually 700-1200 fsf - how do these compare? You can all but forget about kids in such tight quarters.
onecity wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:29 pm
The mix of units seems really wrong. It's almost all 1bd, with a handful of 2bd, and then.....nothing else? Even as a single, 2bd was necessary to have living space, and a work/storage/setup/guest space. 1bd is usually on the order of 600-700fsf, 2bd is usually 700-1200 fsf - how do these compare? You can all but forget about kids in such tight quarters.
This newly-proposed project seems like it will be targeted to millennials. Dogtown is in the perfect area to draw millennials.

I once lived in a 575 square studio apartment I rented years ago while in college. It was perfect for a college student, but I couldn't do it now. I've also lived in a 777 square foot apartment. It was very comfortable. No complaints. Decided to buy a home about 10 years ago.
I'm all for this project. I do kinda wish it looked a bit less like pretty much every other mixed-use apartment building proposed or built in the last 5-10 years, but the use and form factor is spot-on.

-RBB
StlToday - Apartment building proposed for Dogtown
A developer wants to construct a five-story apartment building on a vacant Dogtown lot where a similar proposal four years ago produced neighborhood opposition.
http://www.stltoday.com/business/local/ ... 9d734.html
Here's a good rendering, floor plans etc.

nextSTL: https://nextstl.com/2017/01/100-apartme ... e-dogtown/

It resembles Encore At Forest Park a little bit.
Approved by a better than 2 to 1 margin. Impressive.
Dogtown apartment developers in talks with local grocer

http://www.stltoday.com/business/local/ ... e9231.html

Curious which grocery store they are talking about
My bet is Fields Foods. Schnucks is just a stone's throw away in Clayton Rd in Richmond Heights. Dierbergs seems allergic to all things City.
Much too small for Schnucks or Dierbergs.