SLU Hospital

Construction activity, major renovations, office projects, etc. in the Central Corridor -- defined by the area south of Delmar Avenue and North of Interstate 44/55.
First unread post178 posts
It looks like Biondi wants to buy back the hospital. My wife works there, and it seems like it would definitely be a moved favored by the employees there when hearing both the before and after stories from the sale. Anyone know anything about this or have any thoughts?

http://www.bizjournals.com/stlouis/morning_call/2010/10/biondi-wants-to-buy-back-slu-hospital.html

http://bergersbeat.com/rev-larry-biondi-buying-back-st-louis-university-hospital-from-tenet-sister-pat-kelly-remembered-by-marianna-riley-and-pam-schaeffer/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed:+BergersBeat+(Berger's+Beat)
Five years later and it looks like SLU has managed to reacquire some control and a financial interest in its hospital. Seems like a good move to me if the anecdotal disappointment with Tenet's stewardship is accurate:

Business Journal: SSM Health Acquiring SLU Hospital
Seems in line with the master plan they're trying to create for the Med Campus. It will be intriguing to see what they build to the north (the new ambulatory care center).
Much like trying to do business in the STL region and dealing with multiple parties between the city and county, SLU medical campus has been a constrained tapestry of administrations that hopefully will be streamlined. The working relationship between Tenet, SLU Hospital, SLU School of Medicine, SLU Residency Programs, SSM Cardinal Glennon, and the various physician groups seemed like a tough one to navigate for meaningful collective progress.
^Agreed. At least now the players are under the same umbrellas. SLU and SSM. Tenet was a third wheel in that streamlining and this definitely gets the hospital and associated programs closer together.
As recently as 2002, Tenet was managing/owned Des Peres Hospital, Forest Park Hospital, St. Alexius (combined Alexian Bros and Lutheran Hospital I think), and SLU and their local administrative offices were on SLU's campus on Vista. With Tenet's sale of SLU, do they have an STL presence any longer?

As hopefully the administrative and communicative pathways become consolidated, it would be nice to see the physical campus tighten up and strengthen itself also.
I'm curious if SSM has any other affliated teaching hospitals. But even more so, I'm curious how will this play out with SSM's existing and expanding Richmond Heights facility versus SLU's long term goals. I believe SSM is breaking ground on a new living assisted facility next to their current hospital. Maybe no impacts, but can see where SSM will take a hard look at duplicate services, especially on the specialized front, to determine what changes could be made.

Like noted before, this deal seems like a positive development that maybe should have happened a while back but SSM certainly will take a look at where to go from here.
Tenet still has two facilities in the region: Des Peres Hospital and an urgent care facility in Ellisville.

This will be SSM's first and only academic/teaching hospital.
^St. Mary's has had their own residency program in internal medicine for a long time. In addition to the internal medicine housestaff, SLU's OB/GYN has a significant presence at St. Mary's (at least they did around 2008-2009), and SLU medical students rotate through St. Mary's on IM and OB/GYN rotations. Technically, St. Mary's is referred to as a teaching affiliate of St. Louis University Hospital.
A little concerned about how SSM might treat what little is left of the urban fabric around SLUH. They tore down a historic building at St Mary's Hospital for a driveway and parking.
So which is SSM's flagship now? They opened St. Clare Health Center and left St. Mary's as the headquarters, so to speak. Now they have a Level 1 trauma center and teaching hospital in SLU. Are there any reasons St. Mary's would remain the focus?
Since this goes from a "for profit" to a fake "not for profit" so goes $6m in taxes that the city got from this site each year.
blzhrpmd2 wrote:
^St. Mary's has had their own residency program in internal medicine for a long time. In addition to the internal medicine housestaff, SLU's OB/GYN has a significant presence at St. Mary's (at least they did around 2008-2009), and SLU medical students rotate through St. Mary's on IM and OB/GYN rotations. Technically, St. Mary's is referred to as a teaching affiliate of St. Louis University Hospital.

I don't doubt you. Was just going by what what was reported in the PD.
The Post may be correct by some definition. I don't really know what threshold of training services is needed to qualify as a "teaching" hospital but it may vary between financial/administrative/educational criteria. St. Mary's identity as a university affiliated community hospital flies under the radar locally. Similarly, St. Luke's has an in house Internal Medicine Residency training program.

http://www.stmarysintmed.com/
From today's BJ

"SSM Health officials said they are planning a “significant investment” in the SLU Hospital campus on Grand Avenue in Midtown, following the announcement earlier this week that it was adding the hospital to its fold."

Also mentioned is how the city will lose up to $6million in tax revenue as the hospital shifts to non profit status.
The Post-Dispatch follow-up article on the SSM-SLU Hospital transaction is extremely promising. They haven't made any specific announcements about investment or expansion, but it sounds like this could be a real game changer for SLU hospital. Despite the $6 million income tax hit, it's fantastic that SLU Hospital will now be non-profit - and no longer shipping any profits back to a Dallas-based corporation that had failed to execute on its business plan. Just look at what the non-profit structure has led to for BJC - seemingly endless re-investment in infrastructure.

This transaction - combined with the retirement of Biondi - could be a real watershed for SLU Hospital, hopefully with significant collateral benefits the surrounding neighborhoods.
Geoff over at NextSTL is teasing major info related to this. We'll know details tomorrow.
Per Geoff at NextSTL, new hospital contructuon to the north and demolition of the old facilities is expected. 4-500 million investment. Unsure if it would include the historic hospital structure itself or just the tangled web of additions.

Also, SLU is wrapping up renovation and resoration of their Med School building. It looks really good and I'd love to see that type of architecture mixed with modern glass as part of any new facility.
Would Pevely be gone?
^It wasn't discussed in any article I've read. Pevely seems to be a separate issue still. I assume we'll know more with what SLU and SSM have planned once an initial site plan or rendering is released.
^ sounds like they are still working on plans for the hospital but will be moving ahead rather quickly; main area is reported to be the block just north of the main Desloge hospital (Grand/Hickory/Spring/Rutger) and south of Pevely and Missouri Belting block.
I hope they don't try to tare down Desloge hospital dose any body think they will
True_dope wrote:
I hope they don't try to tare down Desloge hospital dose any body think they will

I think they will ruffle a lot of feathers. Kind an an icon on that side of the city.
Of course they'll try to tear down Desloge. It's functionally obsolete as a hospital; that's the sad reality. We can only hope they find another use for the tower, such as classroom and administration space, or perhaps a residence hall.
^ according to some comments on nextstl, the tower actually has very little patient use and is almost all office, etc.