New Church of Scientology Building

Construction activity, major renovations, office projects, etc. in the Central Corridor -- defined by the area south of Delmar Avenue and North of Interstate 44/55.
I live in the Union Club apartments and noticed a sign across Lafayette (NE corner of Lafayette and Jefferson) from me a few days ago. It says that the building (I don't remember what it's called) will soon be the new home of the Church of Scientology St. Louis. Anyone know anything about this? Don't they already have a huge building on Delmar?
The Church has had other landmark homes besides the old temple. When I was at SLU, they were in what I believe is now the Law School admin building, Queen's Daughters Hall, a gorgeous old mansion.

Scientologists constantly trolled the campus with the question, "Would you like to take a free personality test?" One of our party games was coming up with interesting responses. 8)
They've been talking about converting the old German Society building on Lafayette for quite a while now. I think there's a thread about it somewhere.
This article posted to teh Lafayette Square Yahoo Group has more info:

German Community Center gets Scientology Makeover

http://www.sbpmessenger.com/clients/sbpmessenger/german-community-center-gets-scientology-makeover-p417.htm?twindow=Default&smenu=91&mad=No
"I LOVE KATIE HOLMES! I LOVE KATIE HOLMES! I LOVE KATIE HOLMES!"
82-year-old German House is under reconstruction
BY TIM BRYANT

By spring, restoration should be complete on the ornate auditorium of the German House, the 82-year-old Lafayette Square landmark where the St. Louis Symphony Orchestra recorded in the 1950s.

The four-story brick and terra cotta building, at 2345 Lafayette Avenue, has been vacant most of this decade. Opened in 1928 as a German cultural center called Das Deutsche Haus, the building later carried the St. Louis House name and was home to two Christian schools before it was boarded up and seemingly forgotten.

The Church of Scientology, which paid $1.9 million for the building in 2007, is reviving it. After a year of planning, work began this summer to restore the building's main auditorium, a smaller side auditorium and the entrance facing Lafayette.

Link
Good news, that's a very cool building. Maybe this will help spur interest in the former service station property at Jefferson and Lafayette and the former Foodland in the Gate District along Jefferson. Those two look pretty bad. What would it take to get a Target over there? This part of the city is very underserved when it comes to discount stores.
For sale sign outside the building as of last week.
Holy crap on a stick! The restoration of at least the auditorium, and I believe also the lobby was completed. Why on earth are they selling? They appear to be up to date on their taxes. The building is reported sound. It looks like they still own it. I'm not certain how to check if there's a lien against it from anyone. It looks as though the land the theatre itself occupies is zoned two family residential, which strikes me as odd, but it's really never been anything but a school or church, so I guess it's never come up. That'll make it harder to occupy, I suppose.
In all honesty, that's great news. I'd rather have more residents in Lafayette Square, should this sell and turn into condos. It's a beautiful building and I'm tired of it sitting vacant.

If the same lot is owned where the Aldi used to be (immediately West IIRC), perhaps we have a chance at some infill here, perhaps TOD if N/S comes to life.
symphonicpoet wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:30 pm
Why on earth are they selling?
Perhaps pyramid-scheme cults aren't sustainable?
bwcrow1s wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:35 am
In all honesty, that's great news. I'd rather have more residents in Lafayette Square, should this sell and turn into condos. It's a beautiful building and I'm tired of it sitting vacant.

If the same lot is owned where the Aldi used to be (immediately West IIRC), perhaps we have a chance at some infill here, perhaps TOD if N/S comes to life.
Didn't know that vacant parcel fronting Jefferson was an Aldi. Anyway, indeed it is owned by the CoS so it has a lot of potential for a creative redevelopment... tbh there probably are some legit parking needs for the Duetsche Haus building that might come into play for that parcel but it would be a win even if it had just a bit of mixed-use involved.
^ This is total speculation, but the CoS recently placed a huge sign on a building in Downtown KC and claims they serve thousands of local residents and people from several neighboring states. Maybe they're consolidating into one building for Missouri. KC people are pissed about it lol. Either way, good news for Lafayette Square.

https://fox4kc.com/2019/01/10/church-of ... c-skyline/
The Mayor wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:16 am
^ This is total speculation, but the CoS recently placed a huge sign on a building in Downtown KC and claims they serve thousands of local residents and people from several neighboring states. Maybe they're consolidating into one building for Missouri. KC people are pissed about it lol. Either way, good news for Lafayette Square.

https://fox4kc.com/2019/01/10/church-of ... c-skyline/
They make a lot of other claims, too. Don't know why this one would be more believable.
ricke002 wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:41 am
symphonicpoet wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:30 pm
Why on earth are they selling?
Perhaps pyramid-scheme cults aren't sustainable?
I'd call them more of a confidence-scheme cult with an extortion chaser. Money problems occurred to me. Just not immediately seeing evidence of it.

In any case, I would love to see this venue serving a more productive and interesting use.
The Aldi was across the street where the Union Club apartments are today.
southcitygent wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:17 am
The Aldi was across the street where the Union Club apartments are today.
Ah, I must have been confused though. I was told that the vacant lot was an Aldi by someone else. Thanks!
bwcrow1s wrote: In all honesty, that's great news.
The Mayor wrote: Either way, good news for Lafayette Square.
symphonicpoet wrote: In any case, I would love to see this venue serving a more productive and interesting use.
What are you all talking about? A sale of this building would mean one less place for St. Louisans and a much less convenient place for Lafayette Square residents to go clear and unlock their true identities.
It's the German hall. Ich spreche Deutsch. It's got a gorgeous auditorium. I am what my shingle says. (Concert is tomorrow at Parkway UCC 2:30 pm. SP's Piano Concerto. Bach's D-minor. Gabrie's Oboe. Free show. True story.) The pianist, an old friend, is even German. I may be biased, but I wanna see this thing with music in its heart. I'll try to leave my analysis of sci-fientology off.
I read this a few months ago. Forgot to post it. Looks like the real reason the building is up for sale, is the fact that CoS in STL is not doing so well. Read the article and read the comments. I got interested in this topic watching Leah Remini's show on A&E. Mike Rinder is the co-host, former member and major critic of the 'church's' tactics. He wrote a nice piece on the the CoS in St. Louis. It gives us hints as to why the building is being sold in LS.

https://www.mikerindersblog.org/the-rea ... uis-style/
I don't think it has been said yet here, but I think this would make for a good Moohlah Theater type redevelopment. There are apartments in the Moolah and the theater has movies and shows.
Even for apartments the zoning would probably need to change. I expect it could be done, and you're quite right, that'd be a great use for the building. Apartments and some kind of event space, say.
I agree. Or a venue of sorts. Not sure what the neighborhood would put up with, though. And lastly, Would love to see a proposal for that vacant lot to its West over an eyesore parking lot for a venue. If N/S arrives, it would be nice to rebuild a semblance of street wall along Jefferson.

Just curious, does anyone know what used to be on that vacant lot?
bwcrow1s wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:49 am
I agree. Or a venue of sorts. Not sure what the neighborhood would put up with, though. And lastly, Would love to see a proposal for that vacant lot to its West over an eyesore parking lot for a venue. If N/S arrives, it would be nice to rebuild a semblance of street wall along Jefferson.

Just curious, does anyone know what used to be on that vacant lot?
Pretty sure the lot was a 60's era gas station - about 13-14 years ago a realtor was going to build a small office building there - obviously never happened.

A small performance space with a dozen apartments would be great
Along the lines of the "apartments and venue" adaptive reuse . . .

Given all the recent rehabs for arts incubators, how about a performing arts incubator? (Yeah, yeah, I don't know why I would think that way?) It would kind of be at the nexus of several different local(ish) arts boosters, which might mean that it could help build on the momentum of all of the above or it could suffer from perceived over-saturation. Differentiating it from things like E. Desmond Lee or Compton Heights Concert Band's new venue right down the road would be important. But dang it, we used to support all these venues. We can again. It's an artsy-fartsy kind of town. We can do eet! Flexibility is probably key.