Goodbye DeBaliviere Strip Mall, hello T.O.D.!!!

Construction activity, major renovations, office projects, etc. in the Central Corridor -- defined by the area south of Delmar Avenue and North of Interstate 44/55.
I think the trolley is great for Crossroads and the current location should stay and grow. Saint Louis really needs to rethink how we transport kids to school. Theres no reason kids shouldnt be riding busses/trains/trolleys and learning to be independent from an early age.
St. Roch's at Rosedale and Waterman
Someone asked in another thread who owned the strip mall

City says
DEBALIVIERE COMMUNITY CTR LP
GAY GOLDENBERG

Address in Town and Country
Not sure if this has made it's way here yet, but just a bit ago on stltoday.com:

https://www.stltoday.com/business/local ... op-story-1

"The Bi-State parking lot will be turned into a six-story building with 108 apartments and almost 13,000 square-feet of ground floor retail. Metro's drop-off lot across the street would become a five-story, 51-apartment building with 5,000 square-feet of street-level retail. Plans also call for public art and streetscape improvements."

WOW! This will be transformative.
Been a while since we have gotten a solid big announcement. Liking this one!
I have known about this since July. Back then, the building was much more bland and boring. I don't recall who the architecture firm was then but it wasn't Trivers. Pearl is doing a great deal of development in St. Louis and I know that they are planning something else in the City.

Been hearing about this for a while. Most welcome!
I give this a high chance of happening considering that Pearl has started on the City Hospitals and has Hibernia well underway. They also unveiled the Pearl at Wild Horse Creek in Chesterfield, so they aren't playing. I personally think that this will help other developers propose things along the Debaliviere strip and make it into a Loop-Euclid hybrid.
Hopefully this will drastically improve the situation around the Forest Park-DeBaliviere station.
Just what the doctor ordered!
Was hoping this was a the place to seize the opportunity to throw less wealth away on parking
MetroLink will share some of the 342 parking spaces planned for underground garages in the development and have, "at a minimum," as many as it does now on the surface parking lot, Tegethoff said.
PD article with some details,

https://www.stltoday.com/business/local ... e9c89.html

An Indianapolis developer plans to transform the block around the Forest Park-DeBaliviere MetroLink station with a $70 million development adding 265 apartments and 34,000 square feet of retail.

The Bi-State Development Board of Commissioners on Friday voted to proceed with the project. The Bi-State-owned parking lot at the northwest corner of Forest Park Parkway and DeBaliviere Avenue along with the drop-off lot on the east side of DeBaliviere Avenue are targeted for new apartment and retail buildings.

The privately owned strip mall to the north of the Bi-State parking lot is also part of the project, slated for a four-story, 106-apartment building with 16,000 square feet of ground floor retail.

The Bi-State parking lot will be turned into a six-story building with 108 apartments and almost 13,000 square feet of ground floor retail. Metro’s drop-off lot across the street would become a five-story, 51-apartment building with 5,000 square feet of street-level retail. Plans also call for public art and streetscape improvements.
First comment on Next door: "What about the traffic?! WAAH! :cry: "
Wow - Changed trains at FP/D 2 weeks ago and while I was waiting all I could think about is if this is ever going to happen.

Could not be happier with this - 3 buildings over 30,000 sf of retail, almost makes that over a decade wait worth it :wink:

Hopefully the buildings will not too "uniform" I have faith in Trivers to execute it correctly.

Now we just need Talayna's to sell to a developer to complete the street!
Upon examining the rendering up close, this will have smaller windows than I thought. Now, there will be parts with all glass but not all of it will be. I expect the finished product to look like 3534 Main in Kansas City in terms of design but with a little more class. Does this change my opinion of the project? No. Just an interesting observation.
Does this mean they're going to steal the Alamo sculpture from Astor Place in Greenwich Village?

Seriously though, what a fantastic proposal. This, the Link in the Loop and (to a lesser extent) Joe Edward's new entertainment concept make for a strong pipeline along the Loop Trolley.
This is going to be one of the most transformative projects that this city has seen in a while. The DeBaliviere Strip is inexplicably rough compared to its surrounding neighborhoods, definitely not a great face of the city for tourists using the trolley. As somebody who lives in this neighborhood, I am really hoping for a nice coffee shop. Either way I'm really excited to see an area that has chronically struggled with retail get a huge infusion like this.

Keep you ear to the ground for spinoff projects along the strip too, plenty of low hanging fruit properties. The crappy italian restaurant is already across the street from the strip mall is already for sale.
GoHarvOrGoHome wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:30 am
Keep you ear to the ground for spinoff projects along the strip too, plenty of low hanging fruit properties. The crappy italian restaurant is already across the street from the strip mall is already for sale.
I'm sure other developments will come along now since the first project has been released for this strip. I didn't know the Italian place is for sale. Maybe the Pearl Companies can snatch it up and add a fourth building to the project :D .
TOD project with 343 parking spots for a 265 unit building- total St.Louis move....
^ It's actually three buildings, with sizable chunks of retail included, but I think the extra spaces have more to do with them removing a large park and ride lot for the train station. While we could debate the merits of park and ride lots, in a sprawled out region like St. Louis, some people drive to the train. I used to all the time when I lived in West County.

I can't speak for you, but I'll happily trade in a strip-mall, surface parking lot and unsightly bus turnaround for a few extra parking spaces in a sizable, dense, mixed used development next to a busy train station.

I would say a more classic St. Louis move was what was done at the Sunnen Station...now that is embarrassing.
The Mayor wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:28 pm
^ It's actually three buildings, with sizable chunks of retail included, but I think the extra spaces have more to do with them removing a large park and ride lot for the train station.
I would say a more classic St. Louis move was what was done at the Sunnen Station...now that is embarrassing.
Completely agree. And given my complete fury towards Bi-State right now, I'm not really criticizing anyone for driving in this region right now.
253 new infill units already have come to Pershing in the past few years; if this and the second Asperient proposal get built it will be 635.
In a Q&A with the Business Journal the developer for this project says he's planning a full grocery store as an anchor in this development.

https://www.bizjournals.com/stlouis/new ... er-is.html
The Mayor wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:28 pm
In a Q&A with the Business Journal the developer for this project says he's planning a full grocery store as an anchor in this development.

https://www.bizjournals.com/stlouis/new ... er-is.html
Thanks, any other tidbits that seem interesting? or hints at more investment? Don't have access to the pay article but curious if they plan go beyond the $200 million that the title of the article/interview note
^ he said they reached the investment levels they had penciled out for the Saint Louis market but they may continue to look at more if the right opportunity arises. Said that they are attracted to secondary markets like STL and KC (and home Indy) that haven't received as much attention from nationals but have good tech sector and older-age millennial positives.