New Life in the Grove....

Construction activity, major renovations, office projects, etc. in the Central Corridor -- defined by the area south of Delmar Avenue and North of Interstate 44/55.
First unread post595 posts
I am just happy these follow the urban form of their context. Better than the previous trend of dropping ugly McMansions in and ruining the urban form of the street for decades to come. Looking at you 3922 Delmar and other houses on the street.
GoHarvOrGoHome wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:31 am
I am just happy these follow the urban form of their context. Better than the previous trend of dropping ugly McMansions in and ruining the urban form of the street for decades to come. Looking at you 3922 Delmar and other houses on the street.
I once went on a twitter rant about NIMBYs saying that 3 and 4 story buildings or even townhouse developments don't fit neighborhood character. Specifically that we should bad the term "neighborhood character" because they often have no other way of objecting to it without saying "it will bring in poor people".
However I then remembered that I still reserved the right to object to something based on neighborhood character:

ImageScreen Shot 2018-02-09 at 11.08.48 AM by Alex Price, on Flickr
^Wow. I've never seen that before. Fire whoever developed that lot into the sun.
newstl2020 wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:36 pm
^Wow. I've never seen that before. Fire whoever developed that lot into the sun.
Take a stroll down Delmar and you see it all and cry.
quincunx wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:16 am
newstl2020 wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:36 pm
Take a stroll down Delmar and you see it all and cry.
To clarify, for anyone unfamiliar, the image I posted is on Lafayette Ave, just west of Jefferson. The address on Delmar that was listed is much worse as a block though. This is why we need Form-Based Codes!
dylank wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:32 pm
https://www.grovesouth.com/new-page/

Is this something new?

Saw it on stlgram insta page. The website shows new construction with "more renderings to come,
Looks like Circa development... drove along Hunt (where some of grove south sites are) today and it's rather mind-blowing how much is going on there along with south of Manchester in general. Some really cute rehabs of cottage/shotguns, too, which really are welcome.
Any update on the status of the 7-story building proposed for the wedge?
Permit applied, but not issued.
^ I need my memory jogged.... is the original plan to get a grocer to the retail portion of the Chroma/Chouteau project thought to be completely dead? Do we know what they're looking at instead if so?
I thought the coffee shop was dead, and the grocer was the replace? or maybe I need to have my memory jogged?
STLrainbow wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:45 pm
^ I need my memory jogged.... is the original plan to get a grocer to the retail portion of the Chroma/Chouteau project thought to be completely dead? Do we know what they're looking at instead if so?
My info might be dated but latest i heard was a "high end" hair salon, a gym and maybe a restaurant.
Demo permit application in for demo of the shotgun house on the Vista Place lot
Firecracker Pizza (the place with the awesome mural next to Atomic Cowboy) made it's long awaited opening for lunch today. There's an article from last week or so floating out there somewhere, but I couldn't find it quickly, but having had the chance to sample some of their menu already, I can tell you it is excellent.

This is a style of pizza that as far as I'm aware is pretty unique, certainly to St. Louis. And they've got a lot of great apps and other offerings as well. I'll be making it over for lunch or dinner before too long.
Yep - I can say for sure the Shiva's Revenge was delightfully good an interesting. So far so good!
Noticed a couple things today on two properties that turn out to be owned by the same person....

-- looks like the service station or whatever it was next to the old Amy's Bakery at the corner of Chouteau and Taylor has something going on. Looks like there was a permit submitted a couple years ago for a restaurant but it wasn't issued; some permits for work have more recently but doesn't say for what.

-- the church on Boyle just south of the new apartment building has a co-working space coming soon sign on it.

Also, does anyone know if Lafser & Assoc. that is rehabbing the building on the corner of Chouteau and Boyle is planning to actually move in? I thought it was going to take up all the commercial space and have some apartments up top, but the sign is adversiting commercial space for lease. That project looks like its getting close to completion btw.
^As much as they cheapened it up, do you want it to?
Yeah - Lafser is actually on site there already. They are operating out of the trailers behind the property already and are waiting to move in.
symphonicpoet wrote: ^As much as they cheapened it up, do you want it to?
Definitely. It's a rather small site for ground up construction and would be great to put back into multi-family/mixed use. And design-wise it would actually be an improvement over its two immediate neighbors (which admittedly is an extremely low bar).
^Fair answer.
BEAST Butcher and Block coming to the Grove:

https://www.riverfronttimes.com/foodblo ... U.facebook

From the twitter of Alderman Joe Roddy: Today's Tease: Look for some more good news for FPSE @thegrovestl as @ParkCentralSTL will shortly be vetting plans for another one of our region's most beloved charities to locate a major expansion right about here

@JoeRoddy
^From what I have heard, it is Ronald McDonald House Charities. They are supposed to be looking for some abandoned buildings to fix up. But Joe Roddy hasn’t confirmed to me personally, and probably won’t.
I got a message from Ronald McDonald House (on their mailing list I guess) that they were announcing the purchase of land at Tower Grove Ave and Chouteau Ave. Not sure which corner as one is a small park. It didn't sound like they had started rolling out the fundraising for the actual building yet, so it's a ways off.