East Loop Redevelopment

Construction activity, major renovations, office projects, etc. in the Central Corridor -- defined by the area south of Delmar Avenue and North of Interstate 44/55.
First unread post453 posts
wabash wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:12 pm
chriss752 wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:38 am
Highlighted selections are happening. Preservation Board to review on January 21st.
I wonder how this went over at the Preservation Board.

I was thinking, it'd be great if there were already a stately old bank-looking building in the Loop that needed fixing up and that would make a real statement and addition to the Delmar strip while building good will (and even foot traffic) for Chase. If only....

To be completely fair Delmar Station does have a big institutional owner now. And I'm hoping that big institutional owner will do something transit related with it eventually. (Soon eventually.) But yes, it does have that stately bank-like feel to it. Citi could at the very least use it for some . . . inspiration. As a model to look up to.
They're willing to drop the drive thru (not the two curb cuts) and the building is looking better. But for me the land productivity is way too low. This is not how we make our city solvent. The community has said in all the planning around there that we want big. The proposed form-based code would have minimum 3 stories and 40' tall. It looks to leave about 60% of the frontage on Skinker open and about 50% along Delmar. The head of our historic cmte gave them hell at a meeting this week. It was great. Why they're even wasting our time is a wonder.
This property needs a new owner. It's bigger than 4400 Manchester. Restoration Stl figured a way to make it work there.
^Awesome post. Thanks for the update.

The drive-thru is really besides the point, isn't it? The CVS building going in cater-corner has a drive-thru, but it's size, frontage, orientation and altogether "productivity" make it a great add for the intersection, neighborhood and city. Will be interesting to watch this unfold - thanks again for keeping us in the know.

EDIT: Upon further thought, the Delmar curb-cut absolutely has to go. The Commerce building has some parking fronting Delmar on either side of it, but the low brick wall separating it from the sidewalk really makes it a non-factor for the pedestrian. I'm not saying a single story bank building taking up 1/2 or less of the frontage lot would be acceptable, but the Delmar curb-cut should be an absolute non-starter.