East Loop Redevelopment

Construction activity, major renovations, office projects, etc. in the Central Corridor -- defined by the area south of Delmar Avenue and North of Interstate 44/55.
First unread post453 posts
A $79k building permit was issued to pave a parking lot on the History Museum property at 5863 Delmar.
Looks like work has already started on the mini golf thing.
A bank is going in at the Church’s Chicken site as Skinker and Delmar. What a waste.

https://www.cityscene-stl.com/news/bank ... and-delmar
Damn. A swing and a miss. Worried for this, as you'll probably get one additional curb cut to facilitate drive throughs.

Maybe they'll surprise us and make it 2 or 3 stories, probably not for that cost. Ultimately, why we really need a city wide master plan for dev.
^ Maybe we can at least hope for pushing the building out to the sidewalk at the corner and all parking will be behind or along one side.
bwcrow1s wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:55 am
Damn. A swing and a miss. Worried for this, as you'll probably get one additional curb cut to facilitate drive throughs.

Maybe they'll surprise us and make it 2 or 3 stories, probably not for that cost. Ultimately, why we really need a city wide master plan for dev.
Black02AltimaSE wrote: ^ Maybe we can at least hope for pushing the building out to the sidewalk at the corner and all parking will be behind or along one side.
Highlighted selections are happening. Preservation Board to review on January 21st.
ImageImage
again, embarrassing. this town can't city to save it's life.
^ As someone who lives in KC I always laugh at phrases like this. St. Louis is more of a city already then nearly every other Midwestern city I've ever been too, Chicago excluded. I also see tons of high-quality urban development featured on this very site, like the project on the opposite side of Skinker that will replace a gas station with an urban form building with a pharmacy and additional office space on top. Seems pretty city to me. But I also live in a giant suburb so I guess it's all relative.

But yes, this project does suck. Hopefully the PB will step in and require something closer to what is being built by Pace on the opposite corner.
Yuck
This doesn't meet the SD neighborhood plan though I think it'll get more support than the Ferris wheel
Would this be the first Chase branch in the region? We should welcome them, but no in this form. We need high productivity land uses to pay the bills.
There's no way this proposal will get approved by the Delmar Commercial District committee, much less the preservation board. The proposal as shown might be on par with the Aventura in terms of comical stupidness.
I'll certainly have my pitchfork out at a DCC meeting!
Basically a case study in what Skink-D doesn’t want to be.

And while it’s good to see Chase entering the market (although St. Louis doesn’t need anymore banks) this is a surprisingly tone deaf way for them to do it.
Looking at the plans, found myself wishing it was April 1 today.
Now there is a building I like! I am not sure why all of you are attacking this. I really like the green roof and the brick colors too. Plus it will be nice to have a Chase there.
^Delores, this forum focuses on URBAN development. We tend to like larger buildings with multiple uses. If this building had a couple of floors of apartments or office space above, we'd be fine with it. We also dislike prominent parking lots. As proposed, it under-utilizes a prominent corner site in an otherwise densely built up area.
I have noticed most of you are men. I guess you don't care that ladies have to walk in heels. Parking lots are a matter of safety. Is this another old boys club here?
Hmmm. You must be in contact with, or are, Darlene at the KCRAG. You two complain about the same things and call us boys clubs. Quite frankly, if you don’t like urban development, move out to the middle of Missouri where you can own a farm and go into a small town with a strip mall to get your groceries. So go say Hi to Darlene and complain more about urban development.
Delores wrote: Now there is a building I like! I am not sure why all of you are attacking this. I really like the green roof and the brick colors too. Plus it will be nice to have a Chase there.
Delores wrote: I have noticed most of you are men. I guess you don't care that ladies have to walk in heels. Parking lots are a matter of safety. Is this another old boys club here?
Delores wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:06 pm
I have noticed most of you are men. I guess you don't care that ladies have to walk in heels. Parking lots are a matter of safety. Is this another old boys club here?
That's what suburbs are for. There are plenty of them surrounding St. Louis- take your pick. This particular corner should be reserved for higher density, urban-scaled development. And guess what, Delores-- plenty of ladies take transit/walk/bike. Not everyone depends on or has the luxury to drive everywhere.
“Ladies have to walk in heels.”

What decade are you visiting 2019 from?
The Mayor wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:20 pm
^ As someone who lives in KC I always laugh at phrases like this. St. Louis is more of a city already then nearly every other Midwestern city I've ever been too, Chicago excluded. I also see tons of high-quality urban development featured on this very site, like the project on the opposite side of Skinker that will replace a gas station with an urban form building with a pharmacy and additional office space on top. Seems pretty city to me. But I also live in a giant suburb so I guess it's all relative.
Indeed it's relative. There's some encouraging stuff going on in STL for sure. But I've been spending a lot of time on the east coast over the last decade (school, spouse, work) and I'm just endlessly annoyed/angered these days by the lack of walking culture in STL and the region's overall disdain for anyone not behind a steering wheel. At the same time, though, I'm in Philly right now (a city which I do not like in general) and I'm like: I think this place is a little too "city" for me. My ideal would be a St. Louis with about double the current population that is truly car-optional (or better yet car free). I just f*cking hate cars. They've destroyed society (along with social media). :)
^ Yeah I pretty much agree with you there. St. Louis can't compete too much with the urbanity of the East Coast cities. I have always had a soft spot for Philly though. Somewhat reminds me of a much bigger St. Louis. And I LOVE their city hall.
Urbansim is far from a boy's club. Jane Jacobs might be the most famous urbanist of all time. One of my favorites, Janette Sadik-Kahn is arguably the most successful urbanist for her walkability efforts under Bloomberg in NYC, single handedly responsibly for the Times Square pedestrianization. One of the cofounders of the Congress For New Urbanism, Elizabeth Plater-Zyberk. Sprawl Repair advocate and dead mall expert, Ellen Dunham-Jones. Head of Streetsblog USA, Angie Schmidt. Anyone else?
Don't feed the troll ya'll.
chriss752 wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:38 am
Highlighted selections are happening. Preservation Board to review on January 21st.
I wonder how this went over at the Preservation Board.

I was thinking, it'd be great if there were already a stately old bank-looking building in the Loop that needed fixing up and that would make a real statement and addition to the Delmar strip while building good will (and even foot traffic) for Chase. If only....

wabash wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:12 pm
chriss752 wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:38 am
I wonder how this went over at the Preservation Board.

I was thinking, it'd be great if there were already a stately old bank-looking building in the Loop that needed fixing up and that would make a real statement and addition to the Delmar strip while building good will (and even foot traffic) for Chase. If only....

It was removed from the final agenda so it wasn't reviewed. I am sure Chase is going to present a redesigned version soon.