Hope for Mixed Use Along Des Peres in Skinker-DeBaliviere?

Construction activity, major renovations, office projects, etc. in the Central Corridor -- defined by the area south of Delmar Avenue and North of Interstate 44/55.
First, I'd like to say that I am brand new to this forum, so if this is the wrong place, please point me to the right place.
Secondly, I am relatively new to St. Louis so I want to learn as much about the past, present, and future hopes of our city.

Now, As DeBaliviere Ave is slated to become a hotbed of development over the next 5-10 years with the TOD project planned to kick off later this year and Delmar is sure to grow eastward along the trolley line (at least), does Des Peres have a chance to see mixed use growth too? Walking down the street, I see a number of small homes with little historic character, vacant lots, etc.

I've been following the forum for about a month now and love reading the varied perspectives on the city's growth.
Welcome!
Normally I'm a hopeful person, but I don't see much in the way of Des Peres Avenue for the foreseeable future (at least, nothing like Macklind Avenue in Southampton). The parking lot at Des Peres and Delmar maybe, but not anything south of the street closure. The demand for a neighborhood-style shop is really just vacuumed up by Delmar and Skinker.
Check out he Skinker DeBaliviere neighborhood plan.
https://skinkerdebaliviere.wordpress.co ... itiatives/

I wish we could get something in one of the store fronts at Kingsbury and Des Peres.
Is there a reason it's been so unsuccessful? Even just a small bar for the neighborhood to call their own would be really cool!

I actually skimmed over the plan before buying in the neighborhood so I had an idea of where this neighborhood was headed and I am very excited! Now that I actually live here, I should probably give it a more in depth look, though.

Off-Topic: Has there ever been any neighborhood support for a community pool in one of the centrally located vacant lots? Also, since the neighborhood is a historic district, is there any momentum to get rid of our ugly cobra street lights in favor of more charming pedestrian oriented street lights?
SeattleNative wrote: Is there a reason it's been so unsuccessful? Even just a small bar for the neighborhood to call their own would be really cool!

I actually skimmed over the plan before buying in the neighborhood so I had an idea of where this neighborhood was headed and I am very excited! Now that I actually live here, I should probably give it a more in depth look, though.

Off-Topic: Has there ever been any neighborhood support for a community pool in one of the centrally located vacant lots? Also, since the neighborhood is a historic district, is there any momentum to get rid of our ugly cobra street lights in favor of more charming pedestrian oriented street lights?
The south-side of the Delmar east of Skinker is technically within Skink-D's boundaries, and it's only within the last decade with the addition of anchor tenants like Pi Pizza, Moonrise Hotel, Everly Apartments, Delmar Hall and conversion of the Original Cast Lighting Building to retail (Tavolo V and Guerilla Street Food) that the East Loop has really started to fill out. The Pin-Up Bowl and Regional Arts Commission Building were the first seeds of the East Loop's comeback, and those opened in 2003. With that strip getting more foot traffic and having available store fronts I don't think there's been much interest in retail moving deeper into the neighborhood.

Also, it's only on Saturdays, but the neighborhood very much considers Joe's Cafe to be it's own. If you haven't been yet you should check it out. A few of those storefront/mixed-use buildings around Des Peres and Kingsbury have been used as artists' studios over the years by some pretty prominent St. Louis artists - notably Bill Christman and Bill Kohn.

As for a neighborhood pool, I don't think there's ever been much interest in one because there is one just across DeBaliviere on Waterman in the DeBaliviere Place neighborhood. Also, all of the Wash. U. faculty and students in the neighborhood can use the Millbrook Square outdoor pool on campus, which probably dents the want/need.

Also, you probably know this, but the Skink-D has seen a lot of investment in the last 10-15 years thanks to a host of factors including Washington University, Metrolink and the general success and growth of the Loop (although if you listened to much local media you'd think the Loop was dying). Hopefully the Loop Trolley will join the ranks of those growth/investment generating factors. But 20-25 years ago it wasn't uncommon to see A-OK spray-painted on the boarded up doors and windows of some of the neighborhoods beautiful red brick apartment buildings and smaller two-flat duplexes - particularly in the north and easterly quadrant of the neighborhood. It might be hard to envision it now, but Nina Place was pretty bombed out and entire blocks along the eastern edge of the neighborhood - Westminster, Kingsbury and McPherson - were torn down entirely - which I think was part of an urban renewal attempt that coincided with the construction of Metro's DeBaliviere Bus Garage. Many of those new construction infill homes are going up on vacant lots that had buildings torn down sometime between 1980-2000. This recent article on stlouiscitytalk touches on some of the struggles the neighborhood was experiencing in the 70's.

Basically, it probably wasn't that long ago that residents were more likely to advocate for those cobra lights, instead of working to replace them. Times change and Skink-D is on the rise and has been for a while now - but I thought some of that context might help.
No momentum behind a pool.
People are working on a dog park on Des Peres between the school and Delmar.
Wabash, this is all very helpful! I’d love to learn more about it in person if you ever have time. I’m trying to absorb as much as I can about the neighborhood and the city so that I have good context about things moving forward!