Link in the Loop Delmar and Skinker

Construction activity, major renovations, office projects, etc. in the Central Corridor -- defined by the area south of Delmar Avenue and North of Interstate 44/55.
wabash wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:33 pm
urban_dilettante wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:42 pm
2 curb cuts in such close proximity along Enright is unfortunate, though.
It looks like it's actually going to be 3 curb cuts along Enright. But fortunately Enright is just a dead-end driveway there that already has no sidewalk. So it won't really be a loss in any respect. From the pedestrian perspective this project is a huge win.
good point. it's basically an alley.

EDIT: i looked at the drawing again. it shows 2 curb cuts on Skinker in addition to the 2 on Enright. That's a lot of curb cuts. Originally I was talking about the 2 on Skinker. Didn't even notice the 2 on Enright.
So much whining from the RFT. You're in a car! Drive to the next station!

RFT - The Gas Station in the Loop Will Soon Be a CVS, Those Bastards

https://www.riverfronttimes.com/newsblo ... e-bastards
quincunx wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:43 pm

All Jaime Lees ever does is b****.
But for the rest of us, that crappy little gas station was the heart of life in the Loop. It was the only decent place in the area to gas up your ride (the gas station up at Kingsland and Olive is a nightmare, and the one all the way over at Delmar and Goodfellow is soooo out of the way). It was an easy-to-find and well-lit place to meet up with your friends at all hours of the night or before attending a crowded concert at the Pageant.
L-O-f***ing-L. this was written in utter disingenuousness.
quincunx wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:43 pm

Ah yes. They had to use my website and NextSTL as a platform to base their complaining off of. Well done. Everyone who has commented about it seems to love the idea but this person, Jaime Lees, I feel sorry for. Maybe if the RFT kept their offices in the Loop, Jaime would understand the nuisance property that was the Shell Station. The station was entirely out of place and, as I put it, “That tenant is CVS Pharmacy, which is a welcome addition to the neighborhood.” and "The gas station brought numerous problems to the Loop and was out of place in neighborhood that has rapidly urbanized in the past decade.” Those are two great points but Jaime is clearly not in the right state of mind for something like this.

Oh well. At least there are other people at the RFT who would love this project and some who do. Hopefully Jaime's mind changes upon this project's completion.
urban_dilettante wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:35 pm
But for the rest of us, that crappy little gas station was the heart of life in the Loop. It was the only decent place in the area to gas up your ride (the gas station up at Kingsland and Olive is a nightmare, and the one all the way over at Delmar and Goodfellow is soooo out of the way). It was an easy-to-find and well-lit place to meet up with your friends at all hours of the night or before attending a crowded concert at the Pageant.
*****. this was written in utter disingenuousness.
LOL. My jaw dropped as I read the excerpt. Maybe we can send this guy a holiday card with a map of nearby gas-stations (hello, like the amoco down a few blocks on Skinker). You don't get to bemoan lack of proximity when you are driving to a gas station. Almost reads like an Onion article.
imran wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:52 am
Almost reads like an Onion article.

That is what I thought it was going for. I didn't think it was serious.
^ eh, i went back and read it again.

i'd say the tone is questionable for the first few sentences but it becomes pretty clear that Lees is arguing for the gas station.
Well, it's good to see he's getting raked over the coals in the comments section of his article. I also thought it was satire originally, but turns out it was just another whiny RFT article desperate to pump out some token snark.

Not sure why the RFT has aimed it's sights on the Loop. Did rent increases force them out and they're bitter about it?
Demo permit issued Dec 12
$9.5M building permit application submitted.
The gas station is finally gone!
I guess that brief outcry by 4 or 5 people over the closing of the gas station didn't stop progress.
This is fantastic news. So many major investments in the Loop these last few years. It's really been transformative.
^Yep. Funny thing is, many of my U City neighbors on Nextdoor still insist that the Loop is in decline; nothing but tumbleweeds, empty storefronts, and crime.
Yeah, not much added to the strip these last few years except for student housing, 200+ unit apartment tower, grocery store, heritage streetcar, 24 hour diner and CVS :shock: .
framer wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:56 am
^Yep. Funny thing is, many of my U City neighbors on Nextdoor still insist that the Loop is in decline; nothing but tumbleweeds, empty storefronts, and crime.
Agree with this. Sometimes I even have to remind myself how much has changed there recently. I am off tomorrow, so I am trying to decide where I want to hit up for lunch there.
Gone!
Preservation Board to review this at their upcoming meeting.
Permit issued