The Armory - $83M - Health Spa, Retail, Hotel, Offices

Construction activity, major renovations, office projects, etc. in the Central Corridor -- defined by the area south of Delmar Avenue and North of Interstate 44/55.
$83 million Armory rehab would include health spa, offices
Nov 15, 2016, 9:56am CST

Green Street Development plans to ask the city of St. Louis for more than $8 million in tax increment financing (TIF) to help pay for its planned $82.8 million redevelopment of the old Armory building in Midtown.

The Armory redevelopment is expected to include mixed-use space, including a health spa, restaurant and bar, and offices, according to documents from the city. The first phase is projected to cost $46.5 million. Future phases of the project, located on property just east of the Armory, would include a 90,500-square-foot mixed-use building at 500 Prospect Ave., and a 135-room hotel and 300-space parking garage along Grand Avenue.

http://www.bizjournals.com/stlouis/news ... h-spa.html

A bit suburban, but who am I to complain? It's a terrible location, cut off and next to an electrical substation and highway. I thought it would be decades before anybody touched that area.
"It is a terrible location" is exactly what I'm thinking. Who is going to go to the grand metro for a spa day? Is this really their best plan?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Funny how The Foundry is obscured in a haze of smog.
I mean how do you get to this location from Interstate 64 coming west?

Edit:

Just looked it up. Not too bad actually.
I hope this gets done!

Hopefully, all of this development, will eventually lead to the tracks being moved and the Chouteau Lake project taking off.
stltoday article up...

http://www.stltoday.com/business/local/ ... 26bcc.html

I don't think it's easy to tell by the rendering, but the hotel would be on top of the garage and level with the Grand ave bridge.... I think that may be a curb-cut actually in the rendering.

On top of the garage, a 135-room hotel “platform development” would connect the 8-acre development site below Grand Boulevard and Interstate 64 to the streets around St. Louis University’s campus above it.

“The idea is to overcome the challenge of the bridge and the elevation changes between the Armory, adjacent properties, and the (Grand MetroLink) transit station by incorporating the Grand bridge into the design of the development,” Green Street wrote in its application to the St. Louis Tax Increment Financing Commission.
joelo wrote:

Edit:

Curious if you have an existing way besides off of Vandeventer.

If I'm right about future plans, I think they hope that at least southbound Grand can access the development via a curb cut from the bridge leading right into the parking garage.
STLrainbow wrote:
joelo wrote:

Edit:

Curious if you have an existing way besides off of Vandeventer.

If I'm right about future plans, I think they hope that at least southbound Grand can access the development via a curb cut from the bridge leading right into the parking garage.

Yea coming from Grand they'll have to figure something out but at least westbound 64 has a little option here

http://imgur.com/a/QOYb8
^ ah, I thought you meant travelling on 64 WB, (which would be coming from downtown). Also, coming from the west on 64 EB, I think a more direct route would be the same as going to IKEA... getting off at the Vandeventer exit and then turning onto Market. (Also, currently Ameren has access on Scott blocked... looks like their in negotiation to sell for the Phase 2 plan.)

For WB, I think it also would be Vandeventer for access but not completely sure.
I think what is interesting here regarding this project is that I think I remember reading somewhere there was supposed to be some kind of Residential Building. I guess there won't be one. But that will be fine because the Foundry will have one. In all, this area is really growing itself up around SLU

chriss752 wrote:
I think what is interesting here regarding this project is that I think I remember reading somewhere there was supposed to be some kind of Residential Building. I guess there won't be one. But that will be fine because the Foundry will have one. In all, this area is really growing itself up around SLU

Agree, too many locations that would be much better for residential this location.

Howvver, I will have to look up access but can see the point of hotel at this location and if garage platform done right & decent pedestrian access it would be a highly visible & Central hotel location with a ton of connections from I-64 to Metrolink to pedestrian.

I'm also wondering if you got a developer conspiracy going on. I belly ached that CORTEX Aloft hotel proposal could support more rooms as well as fair amount of conference space. Now you got Green Street's hotel/conference/event space proposal that is a pretty good plan if they can get the platform idea right. CORTEX went with mid rise residential/less commercial space but a solid plan to add units & wrap a parking garage. Instead, Lawrence Group comes up a solid plan for a residential phase high rise that will work well with the Foundry which will add a fair amount of commercial space. Finally, Wexford got bought out by private equity group, got things sorted out for CORTEX 3.0 but Microsoft rumors went quiet. However, Koman comes in and buys into CORTEX.
^ Uh-huh.
$83 million Armory rehab project moves forward

http://www.bizjournals.com/stlouis/news ... rward.html
Does anyone have a picture for that breakthrough office portion? Cool to see this underway

I've said in this forum previously, but that Ameren substation desperately needs some type of green wall or shielding to help reduce its impact on the area.
chaifetz10 wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:31 pm
I've said in this forum previously, but that Ameren substation desperately needs some type of green wall or shielding to help reduce its impact on the area.

Agreed, it's needs something to hide that substation
chaifetz10 wrote:
I presume it's pretty difficult to relocate substations to less obtrusive locations?
^ Extremely. Hence why a substation was one of the few things spared in the plans for the NFL Stadium parking lot.

I really wish the whole area could have such a post-industrial vibe to it that the substation would actually be attractive. It could look really cool at night with some lighting affects.
I don't know if it's so much difficult as it is cost prohibitive.
joelo wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:59 pm
chaifetz10 wrote:

Agreed, it's needs something to hide that substation
Fake trees!

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/ ... 81224.html
hoffa270 wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:05 am
$83 million Armory rehab project moves forward

http://www.bizjournals.com/stlouis/news ... rward.html
I assume this is the armory only. Curious if any additional details on when work will commence and the rest of development and hotel in the article
Cost prohibitive is indeed one grade of difficulty. The number of zeros behind the first integer after the dollar sign is as good a measure of how difficult something is as most. Sure, it's possible. Most anything that can be built once can be built twice. Especially if the original plans are still on file somewhere.
Ugh! According to the article, a "city of St. Louis creative group has already committed to take 30,000 square feet in the Armory’s third floor". So we are once again using tax incentives to move a company already in the city.

The brewery will be announced in 60 to 90 days. I know a few breweries looking to expand...they are both in the city already. I hope it attracts an outside brewery or at least a second location.

Don't get me wrong, I love this rehab. Yet we wonder why the tax incentives do not attract any meaningful growth.