Northgate Delmar and Skinker

Construction activity, major renovations, office projects, etc. in the Central Corridor -- defined by the area south of Delmar Avenue and North of Interstate 44/55.
Get the impression that this project very much dependent on securing the pharmacy lease to move forward. Just as Bruce Mills wasn't able to move forward on his Euclid Ave project until Wholes Foods committed.
So those three+ structures to the left of the main building in the last image........ they do not currently exist. Rendering fillers or something more?
imran wrote:
So those three+ structures to the left of the main building in the last image........ they do not currently exist. Rendering fillers or something more?

Good question. There's been absolutely zero mention of demolition there, so I'm guessing it's a relatively poor approximate rendering of existing buildings:

This image shows the new project stopping before the existing buildings as well:

No demo. The single story with the rooftop dining and bit of structure to make it look like a 2nd story shown in the rendering are part of the new construction.
The "relatively poor approximate rendering of existing buildings" assessment sounds about right. You can see how they tried to mimic the Amsterdam looking cornice, and then kind of mimicked the building to the east of it but also just gave up on it it and maybe plugged that grey boxy one in there to differentiate from the project itself.
There's also no trolley tracks.
^ They'll probably be paved over in a couple of years anyway.
^Ouch.
Preservation Board approved
I was kinda at a loss why Pace didn't at least get the gas station under contract when they sought out incentives, etc. However, I guess if you got time you as a private developer can take another private property at your price or at least at someone's else appraised price if the property Is in the right location if I understand correctly with what just happened as reported by PD

http://www.stltoday.com/business/column ... a9ff1.html
The developers behind a plan to turn the Shell gas station at the corner of Delmar and Skinker Boulevards into offices and retail now have the power of eminent domain to advance their efforts to acquire the property
I've been hearing about the eminent domain angle for a while now. Not sure how I feel about that. Might it next be used on the boarded-up former fast food building across the intersection? Or for the property at Delmar and west side of Goodfellow?

The owner of the building and land is on board. It's the leaseholder that the eminent domain may be applied to.
I really hope this development gets built, but I'm strongly opposed to the use of eminent domain. Very disappointed that it's come to that. A legitimate private business should not be forced to sell so that another private business can profit at their expense.
Any movement on this development and/or the property rights issues involved in it?
framer wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:12 am
I really hope this development gets built, but I'm strongly opposed to the use of eminent domain. Very disappointed that it's come to that. A legitimate private business should not be forced to sell so that another private business can profit at their expense.
in the case of a lease, though, i don't see it as all that serious. especially if the lease-holder is compensated for the remainder of the lease. at some point you have to weigh whether the current occupants are helping or hindering progress that would benefit everyone.
Is this thing still alive?
I hope. I assumed it was still in the eminent domain court.

This is vital to that intersection.
The Shell gas station is closed. Gas pumps and the stores contents have been removed. Looking forward to the redevelopment of this important site.
This is going to do so much for the loop. The shops and restaurants to the west of skinker and east were separated by this gas station.

Here's to hoping construction starts soon!
Good news. I was starting to worry about the lack of progress.
Fences up, signs down. Finally!

Good riddance. This is the beginning of a new era in the loop.
^ if these two corners get built as planned it's going to be a sea change. something seems to be brewing at the Mt. Olive Church site too but don't know what.
What especially notable is that it's not all Joe Edwards anymore. Clayco did the Everly, WUSTL did Lofts on the Loop, Pace is doing this, I guess someone else will do the SE corner (note the "call to lease" sign is gone)
There's a cool model on display in the storefront of H3 Studios (4395 Laclede) showing the Delmar Loop area, including the up-coming phases of Wash U's student housing.