New Life in the Grove....

Construction activity, major renovations, office projects, etc. in the Central Corridor -- defined by the area south of Delmar Avenue and North of Interstate 44/55.
First unread post557 posts
So Drury is still holding onto these in hopes of... what?

Kinda aggravating. I used to pass by these daily and wondered why they just laid there, looking horrible, in such a highly trafficked strip. If they're still hoping for a hotel, they're not winning me over by letting them sit there for decades. Same with the "City U(nder Construction)" signs they had hanging from them for years, which were obviously lies.
The LGBT presence is shrinking in the Grove. I'm good friends with a former bar owner on the strip. He says things are looking the way it did with the CWE. As new development springs up, bars and and clubs will head to a cheaper area.

The club scene is already so much different. Ten years ago everyone went clubbing Thursday through Saturday. Now, with apps like Grindr and Tinder, people are much more comfortable surfing online instead of paying for drinks, paying a cover, and getting hit on by older guys. The future of the nightclub era is unknown.

IMO, I think the gay bars will move again unless the Grove can truly be "The Gay Neighborhood." With projects like Choteau's Grove and the wedge site across Rehab Bar & Grill, there seems to be opportunity to really make this an area for LGBT. If there's no initiative or place making to do so, I think the area will become less of a destination. A couple more straight bars, a few posh restaurants, a "family-oriented" entertainment destination... and this neighborhood will no longer be marketing rainbows.

Where will we move? Some think the Carondelet neighborhood, home to Bar PM, is the next stop.
imran wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:44 pm
They did go to the trouble to paint all of those boards dark brown since that photo was taken. Which I thought was weird.
Drury Hotel on that corner isnt dead......
dbInSouthCity wrote:Drury Hotel on that corner isnt dead......
I'm curious to see what the site plan for the Drury will look like with the new form based code in the neighborhood.
These flats--or at least their facades--should be incorporated into the new construction.

Lots of examples in DC. Here's one in Seattle:

dbInSouthCity wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:19 am
Can you elaborate or going off the fact that as long as they own the properties in hand it always be a possibility?
dredger wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:56 pm
dbInSouthCity wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:19 am
Can you elaborate or going off the fact that as long as they own the properties in hand it always be a possibility?
They are seriously considering it for a hotel right now.
Sorry if this was posted elsewhere. I searched and could not find.

https://nextstl.com/2017/11/progressive ... southeast/

"This Wednesday the St. Louis Planning Commission is expected to approve form-based code for Forest Park Southeast (FPSE), the neighborhood that encompasses The Grove entertainment district and the residential blocks between Highway 40 (I-64) on the north and the Union Pacific railroad tracks to the south. If approved, the Forest Park Southeast Form-Based District will go to the Board of Alderman to become law."

I just measured with google maps and the new cortex metro station puts the intersection of Boyle and Manchester a mere 0.48 miles away from light rail. If you measure down Sarah from the east end of the platform to Manchester it's only 0.37 miles. Freaking fantastic. Really cool.
Anyone heard any news lately about the MO Foundation for Health move to Columbia Iron Works that ran into issues? Are they working on a revised plan or have they ditched the project completely?
^ WUMCRC just tweeted that the project has started.
rheights wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:24 pm
^ WUMCRC just tweeted that the project has started.
Hmm, interesting. Are they proceeding without their coveted demolition on Tower Grove Ave for green space/parking or did some authority like the Planning Commission overturn the Preservation Board's denial ?
Not sure if this means something's officially happening... but that Drury land (with the four brick houses) on Kingshighway had new utility marking flags all over them, and it looked like there was some digging going on in front of one of them too.
^Most likely it is Spire (Laclede Gas) doing their upgrades to the gas lines.
Passed by the Drury properties on Kingshighway today and one has a collapsed front wall.
^ of course it does. i would be SUPER surprised if it's the one for which the preservation board recently denied demolition. SUPER surprised.
Earlier this week, I saw a landscaping crew using a bobcat to clean up the front yards of those dilapidated four families fronting Kingshighway @ Oakland. Add this to the recent new boarded up windows and doors, which I do not like because the brown board up paint makes those buildings look really drab, it looks like Drury is trying to spruce them up. Of course all of this still falls far short of how Drury Inn should be maintaining these properties.
The Oakland @ Kingshighway new gated street closure is done. It looks nice. It would look nicer when the concrete barriers are removed.
imran wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:17 pm
Hmm, interesting. Are they proceeding without their coveted demolition on Tower Grove Ave for green space/parking or did some authority like the Planning Commission overturn the Preservation Board's denial ?
Workers on site now and demo permits were issued this week for the four houses on Hunt. Not sure what changes MHF may have for the green space/parking lot plans now that the demo request for the apt, on Tower Grove was denied,
Yeah - they knocked those houses down real quick last week.
Looks like a second light installation is being built across Manchester right across from Urban Chestnut (at the intersection of Newstead). So far - looks identical to the light installation hanging across Manchester near The Gramophone.

I know there were talks of nine in total being built. Wonder if those plans are still in place.
The Grove is becoming quite "groovy"

:roll: I'll see myself out
Some shots of a (partially installed) light installation in The Grove at Manchester/Newstead. Looks pretty identical to the one at Manchester/Tower Grove.

https://www.grovesouth.com/new-page/

Is this something new?

Saw it on stlgram insta page. The website shows new construction with "more renderings to come."
Not sure, those are pretty ugly though.

Maybe I've just never understood the whole "random blocks of siding over an otherwise brick facade" look. Like, you just couldn't finish it up? Because it doesn't look good. I know siding is expensive though, it definitely deserves to be shown off in a contrasting, eye popping manner :-P