New Life in the Grove....

Construction activity, major renovations, office projects, etc. in the Central Corridor -- defined by the area south of Delmar Avenue and North of Interstate 44/55.
First unread post535 posts
So Drury is still holding onto these in hopes of... what?

Kinda aggravating. I used to pass by these daily and wondered why they just laid there, looking horrible, in such a highly trafficked strip. If they're still hoping for a hotel, they're not winning me over by letting them sit there for decades. Same with the "City U(nder Construction)" signs they had hanging from them for years, which were obviously lies.
The LGBT presence is shrinking in the Grove. I'm good friends with a former bar owner on the strip. He says things are looking the way it did with the CWE. As new development springs up, bars and and clubs will head to a cheaper area.

The club scene is already so much different. Ten years ago everyone went clubbing Thursday through Saturday. Now, with apps like Grindr and Tinder, people are much more comfortable surfing online instead of paying for drinks, paying a cover, and getting hit on by older guys. The future of the nightclub era is unknown.

IMO, I think the gay bars will move again unless the Grove can truly be "The Gay Neighborhood." With projects like Choteau's Grove and the wedge site across Rehab Bar & Grill, there seems to be opportunity to really make this an area for LGBT. If there's no initiative or place making to do so, I think the area will become less of a destination. A couple more straight bars, a few posh restaurants, a "family-oriented" entertainment destination... and this neighborhood will no longer be marketing rainbows.

Where will we move? Some think the Carondelet neighborhood, home to Bar PM, is the next stop.
imran wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:44 pm
They did go to the trouble to paint all of those boards dark brown since that photo was taken. Which I thought was weird.
Drury Hotel on that corner isnt dead......
dbInSouthCity wrote:Drury Hotel on that corner isnt dead......
I'm curious to see what the site plan for the Drury will look like with the new form based code in the neighborhood.
These flats--or at least their facades--should be incorporated into the new construction.

Lots of examples in DC. Here's one in Seattle:

dbInSouthCity wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:19 am
Can you elaborate or going off the fact that as long as they own the properties in hand it always be a possibility?
dredger wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:56 pm
dbInSouthCity wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:19 am
Can you elaborate or going off the fact that as long as they own the properties in hand it always be a possibility?
They are seriously considering it for a hotel right now.
Sorry if this was posted elsewhere. I searched and could not find.

https://nextstl.com/2017/11/progressive ... southeast/

"This Wednesday the St. Louis Planning Commission is expected to approve form-based code for Forest Park Southeast (FPSE), the neighborhood that encompasses The Grove entertainment district and the residential blocks between Highway 40 (I-64) on the north and the Union Pacific railroad tracks to the south. If approved, the Forest Park Southeast Form-Based District will go to the Board of Alderman to become law."

I just measured with google maps and the new cortex metro station puts the intersection of Boyle and Manchester a mere 0.48 miles away from light rail. If you measure down Sarah from the east end of the platform to Manchester it's only 0.37 miles. Freaking fantastic. Really cool.