City Foundry- $340M Lawrence Group Plan

Construction activity, major renovations, office projects, etc. in the Central Corridor -- defined by the area south of Delmar Avenue and North of Interstate 44/55.
First unread post318 posts
goat314 wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:54 pm
maybe they will give us a bone....um...dbinsouthcity...um...oh I didn't mean to say that.

-RBB
^ So what are you hinting at?
goat314 wrote: Heard a rumor about a big project coming to either Cortex or Grove. Don't know if this is linked to that or not.
High residential tower from phase II dropped earlier in year but you hear a rumor about a big project coming to either Cortex or Grove & then follow with posting fresh round of renderings. Did CORTEX East/Lawrence Group snagged an anchor office tenant? Would explain dropping the residential tower and going all in on CORTEX East phase II office

My latest speculative thought Catholic based Ascension Health looking to go in on New HQ. Complete speculation but to me they would be a great fit for CWE/Midtown or vice versa & benefit of all the incentives, tax breaks of the new midtown development area (believe it covers Foundry up to Vande).
Do we know when the first retail tenants will be announced?
https://www.bizjournals.com/stlouis/new ... layed.html

$17 Million TIF Request Delayed for Foundry
A $17 million request for tax increment financing from Lawrence Group to help fund the $97 million second phase of the City Foundry project has been delayed.

The request was scheduled to be voted on Wednesday at the city’s Tax Increment Financing Commission meeting. However, a public notice of the vote was not properly placed, and the public hearing on the request was pushed back to Oct. 24.

The project, on the site of the former Federal Mogul foundry in Midtown, includes a movie theater and restaurant that would total 45,000 square feet, two five-story office buildings totaling 130,000 square feet and a 400-space parking garage.

Prior plans had included a residential tower, though the concept was dropped because of the historic registry designation of the current Federal Mogul boundaries.

Nearly $3 million from a Community Improvement District and Transportation Development District will also help pay for the second phase. The development group, led by Steve Smith, plans to put $27.3 million in owner equity into the project.

Work has already begun on Lawrence Group’s $134 million first phase of the development, which will include rehabilitating the old Federal Mogul foundry buildings, with retailers and restaurants creating a “food hall,” and also includes 108,000 square feet of office space.

The developer received more than $19 million in TIF subsidies from the city as well as $18.1 million from a Community Improvement District and Transportation Development District that would levy a 1 percent sales taxes to help pay for the project.

TRENDING
EDUCATION
St. Louis private high schools named best in Missouri
71. Bishop DuBourg High School has an average ACT score of 24. Niche did not report yearly tuition for Bishop DuBourg High School.
CAREER & WORKPLACE
GALLERY: The 2017 Top 150 Privately Held Companies in St. Louis

HIRING IN ACADEMIC
Associate Vice President, Community and Public Affairs
Austin Community College District

A rendering of the proposed "food hall" at the City Foundry.
Enlarge
A rendering of the proposed… more

Federal Mogul announced it would close the foundry, at 3700 Forest Park Ave., where brake parts were made, in 2007. It has sat vacant for years.
^ The delay seems minor and a technical issue.

I assume the following below is phase II and my impression is it will be underway sooner than later as well bring Foundry investment up to $230 million on first two phases based on BJ article

The project, on the site of the former Federal Mogul foundry in Midtown, includes a movie theater and restaurant that would total 45,000 square feet, two five-story office buildings totaling 130,000 square feet and a 400-space parking garage.

However, I'm trying to reconcile the latest renderings/site plan that Goat posted is how the two five story office buildings noted in article/TIF request will fit with Cortex East tower that appears to have its own parking deck, undoubtly more then 5 stories as a whole. So are we talking Foundry phase II 130,000 square feet in two five story office buildings plus a future Cortex East tower on Vande wedged between the new entrance & trestle? or we talking two 5 story office buildings along Vande with the second having its own parking deck (aka Cortex East tower)?
dredger wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:33 pm
However, I'm trying to reconcile the latest renderings/site plan that Goat posted is how the two five story office buildings noted in article/TIF request will fit with Cortex East tower that appears to have its own parking deck, undoubtly more then 5 stories as a whole. So are we talking Foundry phase II 130,000 square feet in two five story office buildings plus a future Cortex East tower on Vande wedged between the new entrance & trestle? or we talking two 5 story office buildings along Vande with the second having its own parking deck (aka Cortex East tower)?

Long time lurker first time poster. Maybe this will clear things up.

I have a feeling that the theater will be an AMC theater. I've seen urban AMCs in other cities and always wondered how that concept would work in St. Louis.
Soul361346 wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:57 am
dredger wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:33 pm

Long time lurker first time poster. Maybe this will clear things up.

Thanks
goat314 wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:21 pm

Hummmmm- that signage looks a lot like hipster movie chain Alamo Drafthouse.... hummmmm

https://drafthouse.com/
^ well i'll be. it sure does.
It'd be great if a movie theater could work.

Isn't MX pretty much dead? Isn't there one at the Chase? Not sure if I'd see the demand for another movie theater?
Would love a chain movie theater in this spot!! There really isn't one of this kind next to a complex. I think this will do great business.
bwcrow1s wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:33 am

Isn't MX pretty much dead? Isn't there one at the Chase? Not sure if I'd see the demand for another movie theater?
I dont know about the MX. There is one at the Chase. Also a screen at Moolah.

Im not sure there's huge demand - most SLU kids go to Moolah for movies cause they live in the building or next door. If SLU kids stay at Moolah, Im not sure who would be going to movies here.
The Central Corridor is certainly well covered with all four of the city's (relatively small - 1, 2, 3 and 5 screen) movie theaters. But those are the only theaters in the City - along with another 3 screener on the border. So any new one would likely be relying on a broader catchment of clientele from the more underserved areas.
bwcrow1s wrote:

i think MX Movies is still there... aren't they? i can't imagine they do much business though.
urban_dilettante wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:40 pm
bwcrow1s wrote:

i think MX Movies is still there... aren't they? i can't imagine they do much business though.
MX is still there. I've gone to a couple shows there. When I've gone, it's been about half full. I went on Sundays, but they have a good deal on Wednesdays where movies are $5. No clue how they do on a day to day.
STLhistoryBuff wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:50 pm
urban_dilettante wrote:
bwcrow1s wrote:

MX is still there. I've gone to a couple shows there. When I've gone, it's been about half full. I went on Sundays, but they have a good deal on Wednesdays where movies are $5. No clue how they do on a day to day.
If this puts the Moolah out of business there will be hell to pay.
urban_dilettante wrote:
bwcrow1s wrote:

Yes, they are, I can't imagine how though. Every time I go it is dead empty.

I also don't think they show the best films -- Chase Park, for instance, has a lot better options. MX usually has the latest Michael Bay film or some variant.
The MX is my favorite theaters to go to. When I have seen films there it is usually at the release dates and the theater does great IMO. Mainly full / half full. Beautiful theaters. No suburban movie mega joint seems to ever be full. As for good films - the MX gets the big films like any other place... so not sure what that reference is about.

https://www.stlouiscinemas.com/

Movie Theatres - Downtown and Central Corridor include:

MX Downtown
Moolah Midtown
Chase CWE
Tivoli The Loop
Hi Pointe CWE

AMC Esquire
Galleria Brentwood

But then again,,, is there any good movies playing lately?
matguy70 wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:34 pm
The MX is my favorite theaters to go to. When I have seen films there it is usually at the release dates and the theater does great IMO. Mainly full / half full. Beautiful theaters. No suburban movie mega joint seems to ever be full. As for good films - the MX gets the big films like any other place... so not sure what that reference is about.

https://www.stlouiscinemas.com/

Movie Theatres - Downtown and Central Corridor include:

MX Downtown
Moolah Midtown
Chase CWE
Tivoli The Loop
Hi Pointe CWE

AMC Esquire
Galleria Brentwood

But then again,,, is there any good movies playing lately?
Mostly, just that "big" films doesn't equate to "good", and MX wastes screen space on them, though I guess they're only doing what they think they should.

Also, with the proliferation of streaming, online renting, etc., do people go to the movies as much any more? I do, but I feel like this generation isn't that interested in spending $25 to see a movie.
Calling the Hi Point "CWE" is a bit of a stretch no? Still, one of our favorite theaters (along with the Tivoli). I wish there was a good theater like that in south city.
RIP Apollo.
Hi-Pointe is in its own neighborhood (the aptly named Hi-Pointe).