East Loop Redevelopment

Construction activity, major renovations, office projects, etc. in the Central Corridor -- defined by the area south of Delmar Avenue and North of Interstate 44/55.
First unread post375 posts
The was a dry cleaners way back when. It came up over the controversy over the museum pruchase and the amount they paid.
Stltoday - Messenger: Bar proprietor hopes north meets south in new project on Delmar

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/colu ... 9ccac.html
Anyone know what WashU is doing with a $250,000 rehab of 5977 Delmar, which it recently purchased? This is just off Hodiamont by the Metrolink station

https://www.google.com/maps/place/5977+ ... 18!6m1!1e1
Maybe they'll move the folks in their building on Skinker that will be razed for the Northgate development.
^ maybe; I also see WashU picked up the small building just to the east of this as well but not the one to the west closest to the station. In due time that all should be demolished for a solid TOD redevelopment.
Word on Nextdoor is that it will be a Metrolink Police Station
This is the case. Greg Johnson (@PresbyterianStl) posted it on Twitter yesterday:
$250,000 conversion for 5977 Delmar into Metrolink Police Station. Wash U purchased it last year.
Link: https://twitter.com/PresbyterianStl/sta ... wsrc%5Etfw
An actual police station with a permanent presence, or just a sub-station where they sometimes go to fill out their reports?
Great news!

Greg Johnson‏ @PresbyterianStl 2h2 hours ago
More
Mixed-use renovation for vacant 5878-82 Delmar across from Loop Trolley HQ. 3 reidential above 3 commercial units. $425,000 permit approved.
Keep that progress creeping East towards DeBaliviere!
How about a 120' Ferris wheel on the former Church's Chicken property?
quincunx wrote:
Thu May 04, 2017 3:44 pm
How about another Byrd & Barrel in the former Church's Chicken? :)
quincunx wrote:
Thu May 04, 2017 3:44 pm
Is that Ferris Wheel a actual proposal?
The ferris wheel is a real proposal that was due to have been discussed today at noon at the Skinker Debaliviere Community Council Meeting.

Proposed Ferris Wheel Project for Church's Lot

The meeting will be an informal opportunity to meet Tony Sansone, Jr. and his son Michael Sansone, who have a proposal to make for the Church's Chicken site at Skinker and Delmar.

Their proposal is for a Ferris wheel. While certainly not standard fare, the site is important, and this is our first opportunity in many years to consider it.
For f*ck's sake, how many Ferris wheels do we need? What a horrible, horrible, stupid idea for this corner.
Well, I thought I had something else to say, but this pretty much sums it up:
urban_dilettante wrote:
Thu May 04, 2017 11:45 pm
For f*ck's sake, how many Ferris wheels do we need? What a horrible, horrible, stupid idea for this corner.
If they're really set on a Ferris wheel, I recommend they slide it to the east and angle it so the western 3rd of the property could be developed. A two story building would be an improvement at the corner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So, we knock down everything north of Delmar next and create an amusement park, right?
Make it a part of the street car - the car rolls up, is attached as a gondola, does a few rotations, then continues on its way - and you'll have my interest.

That's the problem with this town; nobody thinks big enough.

-RBB
nextSTL - Ferris Wheel Proposed for Delmar and Skinker

https://nextstl.com/2017/05/ferris-whee ... r-skinker/
As god is my witness, I thought this was a joke!
I'm ok siding with NIMBYs on this one.
Of all the dumb proposed developments we've seen over the years, this one takes the cake.
Never thought I'd say this after the unwarranted fear-mongering nimby pushback against Clayco's Everly on the Loop project. But I am really glad this proposal falls within the Skinker-DeBaliviere-Carlin Tract-Parkview Historic District and will (potentially) be subjected to that level of scrutiny and community involvement.

Few nimby neighborhoods in the city sharpen their pitchforks and fuel their torches to the extent of Skink-D.