923 Locust Tudor Building

Downtown construction activity, including hotel projects, major renovations, office projects, streetscape improvements, etc.
First unread post294 posts
I really wish there was a stipulation that they couldn't demo it until plans were approved, financing in place, permits issued for construction. Like, what the f***?

There was always a lazy ass rendering attached to the town homes. Exactly how many parking spaces could you even fit here? 10?
kinger wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:38 am
chriss752 wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:50 pm
Sadly, I am losing hope of anything being built at 10th and Locust. I thought that a proposal would've been presented by now for that corner. There were townhomes but were those for real or just filler? I can't imagine what else could fit on that lot unless the developer buildings something tall and thin but that would be stretching it.
I noticed they added a curb cut on 10th when they poured the sidewalks. You know what that means...
Wouldnt that curb cut have to be approved? Can the alderperson stop this?
stlien wrote: [quote=kinger post_id=301054 time=<a href="tel:1547134693">1547134693</a> user_id=9591]
[quote=chriss752 post_id=301051 time=<a href="tel:1547099414">1547099414</a> user_id=9568]
Sadly, I am losing hope of anything being built at 10th and Locust. I thought that a proposal would've been presented by now for that corner. There were townhomes but were those for real or just filler? I can't imagine what else could fit on that lot unless the developer buildings something tall and thin but that would be stretching it.
I noticed they added a curb cut on 10th when they poured the sidewalks. You know what that means...
[/quote]

Wouldnt that curb cut have to be approved? Can the alderperson stop this?
[/quote]

It is confirmed that a parking lot is going in here. TWG messaged me back today and said this...

“We are anticipating that we will open our doors this coming March. There is also no current plan in place to build condos, or townhomes, on the vacant corner lot.
Thanks so much, Hilary”

Welp, I guess hope of anything being built on the corner is gone.
Wow, just like that.

These guys already got 10 years of 100% abatement right? And took bonds from the city? Did the sales tax exemption ever pass?

Someone's gotta be held accountable. I mean, the townhomes must have been total smoke and mirrors just to get this building (one of the oldest Downtown) out of the way. Isn't this the kind of nonsense we've been fighting against? Why were they allowed to tear it down to begin with? Is there no preservation board oversight here?
bwcrow1s wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:13 pm
Wow, just like that.

These guys already got 10 years of 100% abatement right? And took bonds from the city? Did the sales tax exemption ever pass?

Someone's gotta be held accountable. I mean, the townhomes must have been total smoke and mirrors just to get this building (one of the oldest Downtown) out of the way. Isn't this the kind of nonsense we've been fighting against? Why were they allowed to tear it down to begin with? Is there no preservation board oversight here?
Seriously. Who can I/We contact to voice our anger? The Downtown organization?
March 4th is the opening date for this project. I took a tour today and it is quite interesting. I first asked about the corner lot and Hilary said that TWG is going to sell that lot and the 3 floor building with a clock to a developer. She says that there has already been interest among those TWG contacted. As for the main building... each floor's hallway is a different color and some units are more unique than others. Here are a few photos from my tour. The full album of 54 photos can be found here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/132292918 ... 6048224665

I'm glad that there's some interest in the three story. That's a natural fit for a live/work/mixed use space.

What exactly are they hoping is done with that corner lot though? It's not like they're giving many options to any developer for what they can build there. There are now new windows on the next building over. What the hell else can be built here other than a parking lot? A 1 story diner?

Again, smoke and mirrors. A few lazy ass renderings later for "townhomes", and we have a vacant, useless lot so they could add another row of windows to 921.
A fair amount of blame falls on the Alderman. I know that work was done on a form-based code for the CBD in downtown a few years ago. Why was it not adopted?
Why must every parcel go through this unnecessary BS?
I sent a lengthy email to Jack Coatar about a week and a half ago and re-sent it yesterday evening. Wonder if I'll ever hear back.
As always, thanks for the art. You're doing us all a service. Those are some interesting interiors. Eclectic mix of old and new with just the right amount of "wha?" to keep it interesting. (The odd shelf looking things on a wall and between a pair of beams, for instance. Not quite sure if those are art or furniture. But hey . . . either way they catch the eye.) I'd quite forgotten they'd picked up that three story building. Is that 913 Locust? The red clad building next to the Board of Ed? Glad to hear someone will do something with it. Still frustrated about the tudor. Hope something good eventually comes of that. Not holding out a lot of hope there, really, but . . . any hope is better than none.
bwcrow1s wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:13 am
What exactly are they hoping is done with that corner lot though? It's not like they're giving many options to any developer for what they can build there. There are now new windows on the next building over. What the hell else can be built here other than a parking lot? A 1 story diner?
They are hoping for a two floor building but wouldn't oppose anything taller. People renting those units will lose their view which is why they prefer two floors instead of 3 or more. Preferably, they would like a retail building built next door, but because they are selling it, they don't have a say.
symphonicpoet wrote: I'd quite forgotten they'd picked up that three story building. Is that 913 Locust? The red clad building next to the Board of Ed? Glad to hear someone will do something with it. Still frustrated about the tudor. Hope something good eventually comes of that. Not holding out a lot of hope there, really, but . . . any hope is better than none.

Yes, it's that little red building sandwiched between the Board of Ed (Lofts @ OPOP) and 917 Locust (pictured below). They aren't sure what will be done but I could see a small form moving their offices here (architecture firm, lawyer). For the bold, as I said above in response to bwcrow1s' post.

Then why on earth even demolish something if they're just going to sell the lot?

Why not just purchase the two buildings you actually wanted?

Even dumber, they're not exactly opposed to something taller than the original that might block the new windows? Why go through this whole process at all? Senseless demolition.
Got a reply from Jack Coatar yesterday.
Apologies for the delayed reply. Thanks for the follow-up. I've got an email into the head of TWG Development asking about their plans for the corner lot. They were originally planning town homes on the site but met considerable resistance from Downtown residents. The demolition of the corner building was approved because the building was in terrible shape structurally and the new town homes would have been a welcome addition. In retrospect, the demolition should have been conditioned on actually redeveloping the lot.

I will let you know when I get a reply from TWG. I can say pretty confidently, they're not going to get approval to turn that lot into surface parking. We already have too much of that in the downtown CBD. This space, at very least, needs to be green space until a suitable development plan emerges.

Best,

Jack
So, some back bone, some good news. Good to hear.
bwcrow1s wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:58 pm
Got a reply from Jack Coatar yesterday.
Apologies for the delayed reply. Thanks for the follow-up. I've got an email into the head of TWG Development asking about their plans for the corner lot. They were originally planning town homes on the site but met considerable resistance from Downtown residents. The demolition of the corner building was approved because the building was in terrible shape structurally and the new town homes would have been a welcome addition. In retrospect, the demolition should have been conditioned on actually redeveloping the lot.

I will let you know when I get a reply from TWG. I can say pretty confidently, they're not going to get approval to turn that lot into surface parking. We already have too much of that in the downtown CBD. This space, at very least, needs to be green space until a suitable development plan emerges.

Best,

Jack
So, some back bone, some good news. Good to hear.
It's amazing the bolded bit wasn't a requirement from the get-go, and I have a hard time believing no one suggested it beforehand.

-RBB
1) Green space is not necessary nor desired. What would be welcomed is a well designed dog toilet though, not even joking.
2) Downtown residents opposed the town homes in favor of retail space. Yes, there's quite a bit of vacant retail around there but we can't allow the opportunity for retail space to dwindle. It's absolutely crucial for the future of downtown.

Personally, I would welcome a flashy one-story building with a rooftop patio. Either for the public or LEVEL residents. The only problem is that I believe there's windows on the 2nd floor of the adjacent building.

As for the demolition, I believe they were able to dig up a poorly written demo permit from 8 or 9 years prior.
I did suggest a dog park to him. There's just.. not much space to do anything with this lot, which is why I loved the layout as it was. Would have made a cool shotgun pub with an apartment or two above. The new windows they added are what complicate any new development here; severely limited, and you'll end up with something that was pretty much the exact same footprint and layout as what was once there.

I agree with any of the suggestions here. I never made it in there to see the structural integrity (or lack thereof) first hand, so perhaps it was truly bad off. I just would have thought it would be cheaper to stabilize and rehab it versus demolition, and starting a completely new building from scratch.
It doesn't look like there are many restaurants in the adjacent blocks. How about a food truck park? Could you get 3 trucks in that space with a small outdoor dining area?
chriss752 wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:25 pm
Here are a few photos from my tour. The full album of 54 photos can be found here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/132292918 ... 6048224665
Thanks Chris. A thorough tour here. Looks pretty good - nothing too special, but all of your basic finishes and nothing too quirky or slipshod (as for instance some The Alverne's finishes appear). However, this is a pretty significant fail on the part of whomever staged the example studio unit. There's a better way to use/stage 540 sq.ft than putting a pull out couch right up next to the appliances:
^Nothing says college crash pad quite like a bed in the kitchen. All they need now is beer cans, pizza boxes, and some properly arranged discarded clothing.