Ballpark Village

Downtown construction activity, including hotel projects, major renovations, office projects, streetscape improvements, etc.
First unread post3539 posts
Great job, Chriss! Definitely appreciate you taking your time to show us some progress.
chriss752 wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:32 pm
I think everyone appreciates me doing this since the construction camera isn't public. I
Can't speak for everyone, but it's certainly appreciated. Good to see things continue to chug along. Center and left field are going to a look a lot different this season.
Views from the 28t Floor of the Federal Building. It's amazing how, much this project fills in the area in Downtown South of Market. I think I will call this area "SOMA".

Also, cool time-lapse video on my Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/CitySceneSTL/v ... 782578634/
When they originally demoed the previous stadium I'd been aghast a the whole thing to the point of wanting to see the Cardinals in Anchorage. I got over it, of course, as . . . Cardinals baseball. You know. But when the thing reached the point of a half gone Busch II and a mostly done Busch III I remember thinking "Dang! That's dense and beautiful! How cool would it be if they could just leave the half stadium and somehow make THAT the core of Ballpark Village. Adaptive reuse at it's finest." It's WAY past time to get that density back. (And while it pains me to admit this . . . I think this might just have maybe almost been worth it.) ;-)
^Great shot, Chris. Thanks for posting.

The apartment appears to be hitting the double height floor marking the finishing of the parking podium (back left.) This should rise much more quickly after the transition to apartment floors. Things are looking good to have a big impact when the season starts!

I'm curious how the residential garage will look from street level. Is this the most recent rendering? Is this what they're building?

framer wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:54 am
I'm curious how the residential garage will look from street level. Is this the most recent rendering? Is this what they're building?

That's the design you are looking at but the tan panels will be replaced for a more darker color. So yes, that's what they are building.
This handy little poster gives you a cool VR experience if you download an app. I took screenshots of what it shows you. It also has this new rendering. I personally like they way it looks from this angle.

Also included in the VR thing is a view of one of the apartments. It's too big for me to get in full so I screen recorded and uploaded to YouTube, which you can view here...
Stupid Ford.
^ I think the billboard can grow on people. You finally got some vertical height going, a new street wall, throw in the crowd from a Cardinals game and now the bustling Clark Ave has a big city feel that a flashy billboard or two might actually add to the feeling.

I'm not sure about the SOMA thought for a new name of the neighborhood. Can like the feel of something along the lines of Clarktown or somehting that references the old Cupples warehouses, a nod to history. Talk about a big plus if you can get some more infill along Clark Ave to Union Station & new MLS stadium along with Cupples X & another BPV phase/Cardinal Way Two.
Few photos from today. I'll get up on the Busch West garage when the first steel beams are erected onto the office building, which should be this week.

Also, the One Cardinal Way website has been updated to include 360 degree tours of each unit. There is also a lobby rendering of the Pennant Building.

These two Pennant Building renderings are from a building brochure I found online.
Of the 297 apartments in One Cardinal Way, 75 are pre-leased including 1 30th Floor penthouse overlooking the Ballpark. That means 25% of apartments are leased. Seems low but when you look at the numbers to live here, it's no wonder why numbers seem to be going slow.

Here's what $8000 a month gets you. A bilevel penthouse on Floor 29 with a terrace and a master bedroom on Floor 30. http://www.acusourcing.com/vr/BPV/Level29/P1/
Man, if I had that kinda money that's the kinda view I'd want to spend it on.
Even the "wrong" side of the building is pretty splendid. (Honestly a better view 280 days of the year.)
Trololzilla wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:42 am
Man, if I had that kinda money that's the kinda view I'd want to spend it on.
Wouldn't we all :D .
That bilevel penthouse view is insane! And I agree with symphonic...the "back side" would be by far and away my first choice. Give me those city views.

If I had money I'd probably choose a house in Lafayette Square, but I wouldn't be above leasing one of these out and making bank on Airbnb or something similar. I'd imagine you could make a pretty handsome return on that.

There was a nice writeup about progress at BPV in the Post-Dispatch today. While I would be more inclined to agree with Chris that 25% seems a bit light, the Cardinals and Cordish apparently think differently. The Cordish rep went so far as to say that it was "really unheard of" in their developments to have a building leasing up this quickly. He also mentioned that it's pretty unusual for a building to start leasing more than two full years before it opens, so that could be why we feel it's a bit slow. I would imagine that once they really hit their stride on the tower portion and it starts to dominate the view at Busch and on telecasts, leasing will pick up even further. I wouldn't be surprised if it comes close or reaches 100% leased by opening day (not THAT Opening Day).

Either way, seems to bode well for another tower in the near future...

https://www.stltoday.com/business/local ... -top-story
I bet that any rental lease will have language explicitly forbidding short term subleasing, including apps like AirBnB. Both our leases in Washington, DC (across from Nationals Stadium) and now in Chicago (in South Loop) both strictly deny us the ability to do so. In DC the management office even would search for these types of listings on a regular basis and send out email reminders that residents were breaching their lease if they got caught.

You know that Cordish doesn't want any competition to their hotel so they'll be making sure residents are using their apartments as full time AirBnB investments.
chaifetz10 wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:27 pm
You know that Cordish doesn't want any competition to their hotel so they'll be making sure residents are using their apartments as full time AirBnB investments.
I remember hearing that One and Two Light residents are barred from having Airbnb in the buildings. But I agree, they don't want precious dollars being taken away from the hotel.
Construction elevator is going up on the North side of the building. This is a good sign of things speeding up and this getting vertical fairly quickly. Also they continue to install the top floor of the podium which signals the start of the residential floors.

View from the 8th Floor of the office building (Tao+Lee Shared). Will be interesting to see how much of the Arch is covered up by Two Cardinal Way. I also can't wait to see how this view looks once Two Cardinal Way is built and blocks that jailhouse looking East garage...

View from the webcam...
Steel arrived on site yesterday. Should be continuing on its way up shortly.

newstl2020 wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:17 am
Steel arrived on site yesterday. Should be continuing on its way up shortly.

First pieces to go up on Monday at the Northeast corner.
The first steel beams are going up! They did a lot today so expect this portion to fly. These were taken on my good camera so if you want to see full resolution, click on the photo.

Then there are other photos with One Cardinal Way and the Loews Hotel, but only two.

Steel for the office building is visible if you look above the Steelcote sign. Photo shot from the Chouteau Building.

Great shot. They really are getting the steel up quickly here. I think we might see some glazing by Opening Day.

Also, thanks for all your other updates on the other projects! Really appreciate it since I'm not around enough to see it all myself.