Ballpark Village

Downtown construction activity, including hotel projects, major renovations, office projects, streetscape improvements, etc.
First unread post3264 posts
What does Hilton think about all of this?

For the longest time, they practically had the unofficial hotel of the St. Louis Cardinals. Now, they have competition in the form of a new hotel, and they're waiting around for the day their views of Busch are obscured.

360, the rooftop bar, will still have views into the stadium with 1 Cardinal Way, but I suspect that of the three remaining lots, a second residential tower would go on the lot furthest east, completely blocking it out.

Still, the hotel is centrally located and on the Gateway Mall, and will continue to have fantastic views of the arch and downtown and Ballpark Village. A growing, bustling downtown is good for business.

Still, I wonder.
I have a feeling the rear building's won't end up being higher than the others... but if they do, I'd be really impressed/excited.
Well sounds like theres going to be quite the possibility of new construction on the south half of downtown while the north half will continue to see all rehabs which is great. Im curious which new BPV high-rise will end up being the tallest One Cardinal Way shall be about 330 feet
In previous renderings, the tower at the north east parcel is the tallest. But things have changed so much--I'm not sure if it'll be consistent.

https://www.cpexecutive.com/post/first- ... -approval/

That's from 2012.
There is a $150,000 permit application for a model unit to be constructed at Ballpark village.
dbInSouthCity wrote:There is a $150,000 permit application for a model unit to be constructed at Ballpark village.
It is going to be put into the vacant space to the West of the Fudgery. Now all we need is for the place where the Smoothie Shop was for this building to be fully occupied.
KansasCitian wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:55 pm
What does Hilton think about all of this?

For the longest time, they practically had the unofficial hotel of the St. Louis Cardinals. Now, they have competition in the form of a new hotel, and they're waiting around for the day their views of Busch are obscured.

360, the rooftop bar, will still have views into the stadium with 1 Cardinal Way, but I suspect that of the three remaining lots, a second residential tower would go on the lot furthest east, completely blocking it out.

Still, the hotel is centrally located and on the Gateway Mall, and will continue to have fantastic views of the arch and downtown and Ballpark Village. A growing, bustling downtown is good for business.

Still, I wonder.
Not sure if the Hilton at the Ballpark or The Westin held the title of "unofficial hotel of the STL Cardinals".
Also, I doubt the owners of the Hilton are surprised about high rise development next to the stadium - they probably expect it.
dylank wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:36 pm
In previous renderings, the tower at the north east parcel is the tallest. But things have changed so much--I'm not sure if it'll be consistent.

That's from 2012.
That rendering shows 64/40 as an at grade blvd lol
BellaVilla wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:01 am
What a world that would be... One can dream, I guess.
BellaVilla wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:01 am
dylank wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:36 pm

That's from 2012.
I've noticed most artists depictions of STL remove the interstate or make it at grade. Seems like that would be a sign...
^Not to get to far off topic but the Poplar Street bridge is bar far the biggest Cluster-F of a highway in the nation. It needs constant work and the Double Decker highway really makes Downtown stop abruptly. One day, this will have to rebuilt and the best case scenario is to demolish it and make it a boulevard that turns into a bridge over the River. If this were to happen, I see Downtown Development and a potential "Ballpark village South " being created.
PSB is on its final year of work before it’s good for 30-40 years. The double decker recently got retrofitted for earthquakes so it’s going be there for a while
Would have been nice to simply rehab the MacArthur road platform and have another way to get across the river. Were there specific reasons why it was torn out instead of fixed up? Because I feel like it would alleviate at least some of the nightmare that is the PSB while they are fixing it up. Not to digress any further, but the PSB is one of the ugliest welcoming banners for our city, also.

Always wanted to reinstitute a cool sign like this somewhere, which used to be at the foot of the MacArthur: https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3658/3662 ... 00eb_b.jpg
Love that sign! I have the same desire. I think there was one on Ead's as well. And there should be one at Eads such as Portland with their neon sign/buck.

IIRC, at some point the DOT forbid bridges with a bend/curve (i.e. Chain of Rocks bridge). I thought this, or some similar design requirement, applied to MacArthur even though its a straight shot across the river.
While I'm all for cool signs, I don't see anything all that bad about the Poplar once construction finally finishes.

It's dull, but it's dullness basically means it's just a road on top of a river. It's not ugly because there's nothing to it. And there's cool views of the Arch and downtown as you're entering.

I guess the one problem I do have—and maybe it's what others are counting as well, is the absolutely goofy approach or exit from the bridge on the East side. What in the world is the point of doing it the way they did? I don't know anyone—who isn't at least occasionally confused by the fact that traffic going to the same place splits off into two sets of road for a while. It's the strangest thing.
We should probably move some of these posts over to the transportation catch all thread...

But yes, with nothing being in E. STL, there seems to be a decent opportunity to straighten out some of the spaghetti highway over there. It's in desperate need of rehab as is so just clean it up and replace it with a non-confusing stretch of highway between 64/70 and the bridge.
Is there a webcam for the tower?
framer wrote:Is there a webcam for the tower?
No webcam, yet at least. Hopefully they put one up. I would prefer it on top of one of the Stadium Lights or the Hilton. Anyway, we should see the excavation of the hotel side of the block begin by next week.
Exciting! It has been since the Roberts Tower crane came down that a yellow crane will rise above downtown. How long has that been? 8 years?
A nice rendering here by shadrach on the 300 S. Broadway tower.

"Here's a down & dirty rendering based off of Framer's post. Some things are wonky but I've burned enough daylight on it, need to get back to paying jobs..."

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11469&start=325
Oh, nicely done!
I hope the steel & aluminum tariffs don't throw a wrench in these plans
I hope the steel & aluminum tariffs don't throw a wrench in these plans
I seriously doubt that. It would be a national down turn and that is not going to happen.
One of two cranes is up. It is beyond satisfying to see a crane up on this site. It could've happened years ago but it is finally happening.

Of all the cranes going up in St. Louis, these are the two that are the most exhilarating to see.