LaSalle Building - Hotel Indigo

Downtown construction activity, including hotel projects, major renovations, office projects, streetscape improvements, etc.
http://www.stltoday.com/business/columns/building-blocks/article_f23ef57a-24da-11e0-9fe3-0017a4a78c22.html

This has always been one of my favorite downtown buildings. Love those bay windows.
Have there been any rumors for this building? I believe there was some kind of building cave-in last year and taxes haven't been paid for some time. Gorgeous building that I think should be in the Top 10, if not Top 5 downtown buildings "must preserve" list.

(Gone Corporate planned to open a Dunkin Donuts there but I'm not sure if that's happening or not!)
Pete Rothschild owns it. I'm surprised to notice the unpaid 2013 taxes. Rothschild is doing pretty well right now. (He doesn't lack the cashflow to pay his taxes.) I suspect something else is going on here.
^ what concerns me too is the citation for "building collapse" last June.

The whole stretch of "Lower Olive" east of 7th is getting pretty sad after the loss of Macy's and failure of Lasalle Building and its neighbor to the west failing to do anything... good news is it looks like Millennium Center is on good footing now and Marquette Building is poised for some new apartments.
Keep an eye out on this gorgeous building.... it sold a few months ago to someone out of Atlanta and jcity on another thread said he heard a hotel conversion may be in the works. This would be huge and I think an outsized win for a relatively small building as it sits on a key corner in a currently forlorn part of downtown.
roger wyoming II wrote:
Keep an eye out on this gorgeous building.... it sold a few months ago to someone out of Atlanta and jcity on another thread said he heard a hotel conversion may be in the works. This would be huge and I think an outsized win for a relatively small building as it sits on a key corner in a currently forlorn part of downtown.

This would be really great for Broadway. This block and the garage to the north of it create a bit of a dead zone until you get closer to Washington.
Another boutique hotel planned for downtown St. Louis
By Tim Bryant
St. Louis Post-Dispatch
05/06/15

A developer from Chattanooga, Tenn., is planning a multimillion-dollar renovation of a historic downtown St. Louis building as a boutique hotel.

The hotel in the now-vacant LaSalle Building, at 501 Olive Street, would have 70 to 80 rooms and a restaurant, according to Neil Kapadia, principal of ViaNova Development, of Chattanooga. He said Thursday he hopes the hotel will open in late 2017.

The project is downtown’s third boutique hotel project announced this year.

St. Louis developers Amy and Amrit Gill plan to put a 130-room luxury boutique hotel, apartments and a rooftop bar in the former Union Trust building at 705 Olive.

Fe Equus Development, of Milwaukee, intends to put a 140-room hotel in the former International Shoe Co. offices at 1501 Washington Avenue. Plans include a restaurant, a ballroom and a rooftop swimming pool.

ViaNova recently acquired the 13-story LaSalle and the adjoining three-story building formerly occupied by Paradowski Creative. Kapadia said the hotel will use both buildings. The remodeled facade of the Paradowski building, erected in about 1911, will be removed, he added.

“We’ll strip off the crazy facade and see what we’ve got” underneath, Kapadia said.

ViaNova will repair and restore the LaSalle’s brick and terra cotta exterior, he said. Kapadia said ViaNova has yet to sign a hotel operator but was in talks with upscale boutique brands.

Read More
Anyone counting hotel rooms? I'm more worried there's a bubble in hotel rooms than apts.
^ I'm guessing developers are expecting a big boost in convention business now that the Rams have departed. I do agree that the apartment market downtown is ripe for explosion. Seems like market rate rentals are going faster than we can build them. I think we could easily add a couple thousand rental units and they would lease fairly fast. People want to live downtown, but cant afford it, find a place to stay, or want new construction. I think Downtown would benefit from adding "microapartments" similar to the Clayton proposal, new construction...ahem BPV, but even new construction in the 4-5 story range in downtown west and midtown would do wonders, townhomes mixed in would also add density quick. I think we will start seeing more everyday retail by 2020, we still need a couple more thousand people.
I don't know if anyone agrees with me but I love how unique that little paradowski is. There isn't another building like it downtown. Hopefully it is just as interesting underneath. Microapts would be a great investment into all the surface lots downtown. That would change the entire cbd for the better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I totally agree, user28. The Paradowski building facade is awesome as it currently is, and I wish the developer would keep it the way it is. We need funky buildings to keep our streetscapes interesting and diverse.
roger wyoming II wrote:

Oh, yeah!
quincunx wrote:
Anyone counting hotel rooms? I'm more worried there's a bubble in hotel rooms than apts.

not worried about it.... in terms of pure room count I don't think we'd be much above the number we had with the Millennium open and boutique hotels are now the trend over large hotels. And hotel demand is increasing nationally as well so I don't see a bubble; even if another one closed because it couldn't compete with all the planned new openings I don't think it would be a big deal.
Here's a good article from last summer that suggests DT is in a pretty healthy hotel market with room for some more

Better times for downtown St. Louis hotels
http://www.stltoday.com/business/local/ ... aadb4.html

If all three of the proposed boutique hotels move forward, that would add about 350 rooms to the market, which sounds reasonable, especially if Crown Plaza down-sizes.
Do I got this right?

We got three proposed boutique hotels all stating that it is full steam ahead on their respective projects including two of them formalizing names/brands in the last two days as report by PD. Who will be first to finish line?

Now all we need is CORTEX/Wexford formal announcement of $140 million breaking ground and BPV to get off its arse and announce phase II hotel and or residential tower
I've gotta say im pretty excited for the rooftop bar on this building. I think having more rooftop bars that can compete with 360 will definitely bring more attention to downtown and spread the isolated bar districts over downtown into more cohesive and continuous corridors, especially when coupled will street level retail like this project. Any word on other rehabs that are including features like this? most that I have read about dont
dredger wrote:
Do I got this right?

We got three proposed boutique hotels all stating that it is full steam ahead on their respective projects including two of them formalizing names/brands in the last two days as report by PD. Who will be first to finish line?

Now all we need is CORTEX/Wexford formal announcement of $140 million breaking ground and BPV to get off its arse and announce phase II hotel and or residential tower

Every day I get more and more bitter about BPV especially when we keep seeing more and more developments. I mean the real estate at that location couldn't get any more perfect but we wait and wait
^^ user, Hotel Saint Louis plans a rooftop bar and I believe one is also planned for the International Shoe.
So we can now change this topic title to "LaSalle Building under reno"?? :D :D
2 more rooftop bars? Now that's something to get excited about with the downtown bar scene!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
joelo wrote:

Every day I get more and more bitter about BPV especially when we keep seeing more and more developments. I mean the real estate at that location couldn't get any more perfect but we wait and wait

The article that came out today sounds like BPV is ramping up again. So that's good news.
Interior demo permit approved so this looks to be the first of the three planned new boutiques to actually get some work underway. I'll have to look up if there was any timeline announced but since its in the smaller side of project maybe we'll see a Hotel Indigo by end of next year!

btw, can we change this title?
STLrainbow wrote:
btw, can we change this title?

Done.
Construction fence is around the building.