Municipal Courts Bldg. Market Street

Downtown construction activity, including hotel projects, major renovations, office projects, streetscape improvements, etc.
First unread post202 posts
The City is trying to sell the Muni Courts Bldg on Market. Droll article, which impressed me for its accuracy (there is one error, though, can you find it?):

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/s ... enDocument
steve wrote:
The City is trying to sell the Muni Courts Bldg on Market. Droll article, which impressed me for its accuracy (there is one error, though, can you find it?):

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/s ... enDocument

The NLEC couldn't get Kiel. Maybe they can pick up this bad boy!

Edit: I meant the building next to Kiel that the toupeed one tried to pry away via the court system.

Think they could find someone to do something with the Civil Courts building while they're at it? :wink:

-RBB

am I correct in assuming that the Kiel project (also spearheaded by Breckenridge) is dead as well?
innov8ion wrote:

The NLEC couldn't get Kiel. Maybe they can pick up this bad boy!

Please don't give me nightmares :wink: .

This building would be the perfect mix of office and residential with secure entry. I love the gated drive through access on 14th. It has that old castle look to it.

^also, boutique hotel/residential

Expat wrote:
^also, boutique hotel/residential

Mr Breckenridge wanted to make it a boutique hotel.

markofucity wrote:
am I correct in assuming that the Kiel project (also spearheaded by Breckenridge) is dead as well?

From the article, that's how it sounds.

As far as Muni is concerned, it seems like it would be a tough sell. The interior would almost have to be gutted to make it work for anything but a courthouse. I just hope it doesn't get torn down.

How about a satellite for the Art Museum? It needs to be used for something dramatic like that, look at it...

^I like that idea!

doesn't someone want to start an architecture museum on the east side? What better place than here?

I would love to see this building be used as a university building. I think the Webster U. usage of the Old Post Office has worked pretty well, so I would love to see something similar for this building. Maybe a downtown location for UMSL?

I would really, really love to see this building converted to a new law school, perhaps under the direction of UMSL. With only 4 law schools, I think Missouri could use another one (although probably on the KC side of the state, perhaps Mo. State is the best option). But, this building is just begging to be a law school. I know STL already has 2 law schools (with SLU being the main provider for the cities lawyers), but it could not hurt. There is also talk of an additional law school in Illinois, perhaps at SIUE or Springfield. Here is an idea, instead of building a brand new building, SLU could just rehab this building. The courtroom comes preinstalled and it is a block away from the 8th Circuit at Eagleton. Also, it has a metro stop a block away. God, I love this location!!! Now, if I only had millions of dollars!!

Anyway, another downtown university location in this building would be great. Not only would it bring people downtown, but young college age residents could actually live (and stay) downtown. It could take some of the atmosphere of the Central Westend and bring it downtown. It would help Union Station, the Mall, the Scottrade center (maybe even the Kiel)...

However, given its location opposite the mall from the WWII memorial, I would not be against a museum. Like everyone else, I just hope they don't tear it down.

Bastiat wrote:
How about a satellite for the Art Museum? It needs to be used for something dramatic like that, look at it...

This idea was brought up for the OPO many years ago, and the SLAM said no. For a variety of reasons.

I really like the ideas mentioned here. I wonder if Edwards or Cassily could come up with an interesting use for it. The idea of it becoming a hotel or condos is a little disappointing.

Doesn't the location of this building make it an ideal candidate for inclusion in the Gateway Mall "master plan"?

^I would think so. Wasn't it a part of the original plan? I'm pretty sure it was.

does't the STL Art Museum only show 5-10% of its collection? Where is the rest stored? I'm thinking satellite museum. A Law School would be even better, more activity, with students, etc. A boutique hotel could be nice, as long as the kept the architectural integrity of the interior. Could it be used for office space?

Code: Select all

architectural integrity of the interior

You must not have been in the building. All that interior invokes is the history of rat mazes.

Maybe he meant the main corridors and courtrooms?

Maybe he meant the main corridors and courtrooms?

It would be something of a stretch to incorporate a couple of dozen unmemorable courtrooms into a hotel. Once you have a meeting in the Division 23 conference room, do you head down to the Division 5 grill?

This building's interesting architecture is on the outside, not the inside.

Oh come on now. The interior IS amazing. Just check out the photo that accompanied the article. Ornate carved woodwork, heavy ornamental plaster detailing, intricate tilework, etc., etc., etc.

But yes, re-configuring the interior layout for modern use could be tricky. Let's hope someone comes up with something that works.

It's not quite the same thing, but there's an historic courthouse/post office in Columbus, OH that now serves as a large law office. The lawyer I know there loves the 'mock' courtrooms! They have generally turned the old courtrooms into conference rooms, smaller rooms into offices and have actually created two floors where there was once 20+ft ceilings. They've kept the same hallway plan and just about every detail there was.

In addition to Kiel, another nearby vacant structure, the city-owned Municipal Courts building, also has a developer eyeing plans for a historic rehabilitation. Los Angeles-based Crossland Capital Partners, which developed the $20 million Meridian condominium development at 1136 Washington Ave. in 2006, is in talks with city officials about developing the four-story, 160,000-square-foot former courts building at 1320 Market St. Rob McRitchie, a partner in Crossland Capital Partners, could not be reached for comment by press time.

http://stlouis.bizjournals.com/stlouis/stories/2009/02/02/story1.html

Wow. I had no idea that building was vacant. Any word on what they plan to turn it into? Offices, condos, etc?

Condos would be great. As most of us here know, adding a residential component to the Mall is necessary for its rehabilitation. And with the six light-wells (courtyards?) this building has, even the units/rooms that aren't on the perimeter of the building would get a great daylight and ventilation.